Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

robe

BYU looking for a D coordinator from MWC teams

On 12/1/2022 at 1:20 PM, aztech said:

Well if it matters I doubt that he's LDS.  I saw him downing beers while talking at an Aztec get together on the road. 

No requirements to be LDS. 

The Masters 5k road race All American.

On 12/1/2022 at 11:03 AM, Spaztecs said:

According to the SLC Sports Talking Heads, Jay Hill at Weber State should be the front runner.

What they continually miss on is that Jay has said he is staying at the Weeb until his kids graduate HS.

They also mentioned Derek Odum at San Jose and Frank Maile at Boise who got screwed out of the USU HC gig.

I forgot you live in BYU country. Any other rumors.

The Masters 5k road race All American.

On 12/1/2022 at 12:37 PM, USU78 said:

Frank was a position coach and assistant head coach to Andy 2.0 in 2019, after being named interim HC for the bowl game in 2018 when the entire senior staff scampered. He was named co-DC and assistant HC in 2020 for loyalty to the program.

After Andy 2.0 went bye-bye mid 2020, he was named interim HC for like 3 games (woulda been 4 if he hadn't presided over the only known strike action to temporarily shut down a high level FB program -- yay us!).

Thanks. So no real DC background.  Some dabbling that one season where he had to be head man too.   I can see byu hiring him under their new DC whoever that is.   He's done well with our DL.

On 12/1/2022 at 1:24 PM, roughrider said:

Thanks. So no real DC background.  Some dabbling that one season where he had to be head man too.   I can see byu hiring him under their new DC whoever that is.   He's done well with our DL.

Maile was DL coach at USU from 2011 to 2013 & then again in 2016 after two years as the DL coach at Vanderbilt in 2014-2015. He served as co-DC at USU in 2017 and 2018 before moving to TE's in 2019. He returned to co-DC in 2020 and was also given the assistant HC title that same year. So he has more than a single year experience as a DC. He essentially has the same experience as the current BYU DC, Ilaisa Tuiaki (who was ironically the RB's coach at USU from 2009-2011).

Frank's a good guy but he had his audition as a head coach and it was UGLY. His performance as a DC (even as a co-DC) left a lot to be desired too.

On 12/1/2022 at 4:22 PM, TrueAg said:

Maile was DL coach at USU from 2011 to 2013 & then again in 2016 after two years as the DL coach at Vanderbilt in 2014-2015. He served as co-DC at USU in 2017 and 2018 before moving to TE's in 2019. He returned to co-DC in 2020 and was also given the assistant HC title that same year. So he has more than a single year experience as a DC. He essentially has the same experience as the current BYU DC, Ilaisa Tuiaki (who was ironically the RB's coach at USU from 2009-2011).

Frank's a good guy but he had his audition as a head coach and it was UGLY. His performance as a DC (even as a co-DC) left a lot to be desired too.

I've seen his interviews here and no way is that head coach material based on what I saw.   But his DL plays with their hair on fire and he's had to deal with way too many key guys going out.   TE's is interesting.... not what I would have thought.

Did Aggie fans approve of his DC results?

On 12/1/2022 at 4:22 PM, TrueAg said:

Our 2019/20 seasons aka Andy 2.0 were just awful.

You keep using that word. I do not think that word means what you think it means.

On 12/1/2022 at 4:46 PM, roughrider said:

I've seen his interviews here and no way is that head coach material based on what I saw.   But his DL plays with their hair on fire and he's had to deal with way too many key guys going out.   TE's is interesting.... not what I would have thought.

He was not a good DC. Great guy though. 

There are only two things I can't stand in this world: people who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch. 

On 11/30/2022 at 5:20 PM, robe said:

https://mwwire.com/2022/11/28/multiple-mountain-west-coaches-mentioned-to-be-byus-defensive-coordinator/

Long, BSU DL coach and SJSU D coordinator.

Besides Long are they any good. I’m guessing BYU can pay 1 to 2 million with B12 money. 

I hear that Avalos might be available...

Mike Bronson, on 27 Sept 2013 - 8:45 PM, said:

Don't be mad because the refs are going to need Tommy John surgeries after this poorly played game.

mugtang, on 27 Sept 2013 - 8:49 PM, said:

Your mom is going to need Tommy John surgery after jerking me off all night.

Cartoon-21-Final.jpg

On 12/1/2022 at 2:07 PM, robe said:

I forgot you live in BYU country. Any other rumors.

BYU country? Utah County is the only BYU Country. Obviously you haven’t been here for a long time. We’ve built a wall with security check points separating SL and Utah County.

All local BYU fans have been GPS collared like Yellowstone wolves to prevent them from wandering outside the park. 

@Spaztecs lives up north I believe.  That is Weber State, Ute and USU country.  Sounds like you need to get caught up on Utah social geography. 

On 12/1/2022 at 3:46 PM, roughrider said:

Not really. Two problems: 1. He always held the "co-DC" moniker so it was hard to say if he was ever really allowed to do everything he wanted and was perhaps forced to make compromises. On the flip side, many felt there was probably a reason he was always assigned a partner and that being left on his own might be beyond his capabilities. 2. How does one live up to the DC's that USU had during his time on staff? Dave Aranda --> DC USU-> DC Wiscy -> DC LSU -> HC Baylor, Todd Orlando --> DC USU-> DC-Houston-> DC Texas-> DC USC, Keith Patterson--> DC USU-> DC Texas Tech->HC Abilene Christian.  These guys produced some really great defenses and as a result it landed them some pretty amazing jobs and $$. Frank, on he other hand, left a pretty foul taste in the mouth of the majority of Aggie fans which is saying something because he was beloved prior to his interim HC stint.

On 12/2/2022 at 9:00 AM, utenation said:

BYU country? Utah County is the only BYU Country. Obviously you haven’t been here for a long time. We’ve built a wall with security check points separating SL and Utah County.

All local BYU fans have been GPS collared like Yellowstone wolves to prevent them from wandering outside the park. 

@Spaztecs lives up north I believe.  That is Weber State, Ute and USU country.  Sounds like you need to get caught up on Utah social geography. 

I root for all the local teams.

It's been a ton of fun watching the Utes run to the PAC and their fourth straight CCG !

"We don't have evidence but, we have lot's of theories."

Americans Mayor

On 12/2/2022 at 9:45 AM, Spaztecs said:

It's been a ton of fun watching the Utes run to the PAC and their fourth straight CCG !

Do you likewise Root for Old SC?

You keep using that word. I do not think that word means what you think it means.

On 12/2/2022 at 9:45 AM, Spaztecs said:

I get it. I’m sure BYU fans like Robe are dancing in the streets about their .500 record and upcoming trip to the Oscar Meyer Bologna Bowl to play Middle Lower Louisiana Institute of Agriculture. 

On 12/4/2022 at 8:58 PM, bsu_alum9 said:

Addition by subtraction for Boise. 

There are only two things I can't stand in this world: people who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch. 

On 12/7/2022 at 12:06 AM, utenation said:

Jay Hill from Weber State is the new DC. $1 million a year.  Looks like BYU is opening up the check book a bit more with soon to come B12 money. 

https://www.deseret.com/2022/12/6/23497742/report-weber-state-coach-jay-hill-to-be-named-byus-new-defensive-coordinator-wednesday

Great hire, IMO.

Dang. Thought he’d move straight into a head coaching role with his success at Weber. Went to Utah and started his coaching career with the Utes. He was making around 300k per year as Weber State HC.