Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Spaztecs

The Rose Bowls Relevance is on the line

Basically, the prospect of the 2024 and 2025 Expanded Playoff hinges on the Rose Bowl demanding they maintain exclusivity of the January 1, 2 pm time slot.  For all playoff and non-playoff games.

If they don't budge, this pushes the expanded  playoff back to 2026. The CFP, Notre Dame, and ESPN have threatened to cut the Rose Bowl out of the New Deal if they don't play ball.

The CFP has given the Rose Bowl until Wednesday, November 30, to respond.

Yikes

https://www.espn.com/college-football/

"We don't have evidence but, we have lot's of theories."

Americans Mayor

They could permanently host the MWCCG

:shrug:

Americans Mayor

I saw that. The cfp has all the leverage. The rose bowl will have to cave. 

Having said that, there is not a better image on tv for a football fan than the San Gabriel mountains in the background of the rose bowl in the late afternoon on New Year’s Day. The light is just right and it’s majestic as hell. I’m certain the playoff committee doesn’t want to lose that. It just probably won’t happen every year, unfortunately. 

On 11/30/2022 at 9:08 AM, thelawlorfaithful said:

Why couldn’t it just be a permanent semi-final held on Jan 1st? Seems like an easy fix.

Because there is a shitload of tradition with the B10 and P12 in this game. 

And I think the other big bowls want to be part of the CFP playoff rotation. 

With Jim Delaney long gone in the Big Ten, the Rose Bowl lost their one cult-like protector who would put that bowl's interests ahead of his own conference and schools. They are arrogantly way overplaying their hand. At the end of the day, they're just a venue...not actual product and can be cast aside for one of the SoCal NFL stadiums tomorrow. Nobody is tuning in to watch a building.  The college landscape has changed, and they can either change with it or enjoy hosting rodeos and monster truck rallies on NYD. 

I think a point being missed is that this is just for the proposed 1st 2 years of the playoff - 2024 and 2025 seasons.  They want to move the semis from the 12/28/24 (Orange/Cotton) and 12/27/25 (Peach/Fiesta) so they can shoehorn the 1st rd and the quarters into the schedule.  If the other NY6 game are to be the quarterfinals those 2 years that would mean playing on or before Christmas.

All of this is about getting the playoffs going (and the cash flowing) 2 years early.

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

On 11/30/2022 at 11:51 AM, RebelAlliance said:

With Jim Delaney long gone in the Big Ten, the Rose Bowl lost their one cult-like protector who would put that bowl's interests ahead of his own conference and schools. They are arrogantly way overplaying their hand. At the end of the day, they're just a venue...not actual product and can be cast aside for one of the SoCal NFL stadiums tomorrow. Nobody is tuning in to watch a building.  The college landscape has changed, and they can either change with it or enjoy hosting rodeos and monster truck rallies on NYD. 

Delany wasn't why the B10 held and continues to hold the Rose Bowl in such high regard.  And every year the Rose Bowl ratings prove a few people agree.  Last year the Rose Bowl TV numbers were on the same level with the semifinals and trounced the Sugar/Fiesta/Peach.  It's not just a venue.

This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

On 11/30/2022 at 9:58 AM, Rosegreen said:

Rose bowl should hold the line. 

image.gif.a3ea71e031f0a58aca93c6c71b8057e7.gif

They will not survive with the top two or three B1G and PAC squads in the playoffs.

This year, you would likely have an Oregon State - Purdue matchup.

Oh My God No GIF by Acorn TV

Americans Mayor

On 11/30/2022 at 11:57 AM, Spaztecs said:

They will not survive with the top two or three B1G and PAC squads in the playoffs.

This year, you would likely have an Oregon State - Purdue matchup.

Oh My God No GIF by Acorn TV

They won't have to.  Come 2027, the quarterfinals will (probably) be on NYD/NYE, and the Rose Bowl, in all probability, will be one of the games.  The Rose Bowl isnt against non-B10/P12 teams - they've already proven that.  They want their timeslot.

On 11/30/2022 at 11:56 AM, RSF said:

Delany wasn't why the B10 held and continues to hold the Rose Bowl in such high regard.  And every year the Rose Bowl ratings prove a few people agree.  Last year the Rose Bowl TV numbers were on the same level with the semifinals and trounced the Sugar/Fiesta/Peach.  It's not just a venue.

I know it outdraws the other bowls. I'm not disputing that. As for last year, having the #1 draw in all of college football certainly boosted that number though. And as noted above, let's see what happens when they're matching the #3 PAC team against the #4 B1G team. Somehow, I think the rodeo numbers might start looking pretty good. 

On 11/30/2022 at 12:12 PM, RebelAlliance said:

I know it outdraws the other bowls. I'm not disputing that. As for last year, having the #1 draw in all of college football certainly boosted that number though. And as noted above, let's see what happens when they're matching the #3 PAC team against the #4 B1G team. Somehow, I think the rodeo numbers might start looking pretty good. 

That's not the issue.  As noted above.

And the #1 draw - Alabama - was in the playoff.

On 11/30/2022 at 12:15 PM, RSF said:

That's not the issue.  As noted above.

And the #1 draw - Alabama - was in the playoff.

In terms of television viewers?  Nope, and no way are those Rose Bowl ratings the same if it were Utah-TCU.

https://medium.com/run-it-back-with-zach/which-college-football-programs-bring-in-the-most-tv-viewers-efc03c689e50

https://medium.com/run-it-back-with-zach/which-college-football-programs-were-the-most-watched-in-2021-49ef4f315858

And in terms of overall fanbase, it's not even close between Ohio State and Alabama. 

https://www.yahoo.com/now/ranking-college-football-teams-most-152000015.html#:~:text=Which college football team has,figure fanbase in his findings.

On 11/30/2022 at 1:03 PM, RebelAlliance said:

Ah...more goalpost moving....

I stopped here (right after I asked 'who the +++++ is zach miller?):

I don’t find TV viewership numbers to be a good way to measure value for a few reasons:

On 11/30/2022 at 1:04 PM, RSF said:

Ah...more goalpost moving....

I stopped here (right after I asked 'who the +++++ is zach miller?):

I don’t find TV viewership numbers to be a good way to measure value for a few reasons:

OK, here's a fourth reference from USA Today. 

https://cornhuskerswire.usatoday.com/lists/the-15-most-watched-teams-in-college-football/

I'm sure you'll find something to dismiss it rather than just admit you were wrong (FAKE NEWS!).  That's the usual sign of a weak and insecure intellect.  In the meantime, I eagerly await any single reference that you might have showing that Alabama draws more television viewers than Ohio State. 

On 11/30/2022 at 12:03 PM, RebelAlliance said:

In terms of television viewers?  Nope, and no way are those Rose Bowl ratings the same if it were Utah-TCU.

I won’t dispute that Ohio State is the much bigger dog in the ratings but there was a lot of interest in Utah as well with our fans and I’m guessing overall football fans. The fact that it was a nail biter to the end with 2 great teams played an overall factor in the national ratings. 

Utah has also had more than a few  games in the Top 10 in ratings this year according to Sports Media Watch. It’s not all opponents either. 

https://www.deseret.com/2022/1/1/22859417/the-utah-utes-owned-the-rose-bowl-until-they-didnt-ohio-state-buckeyes-bryson-barnes-cj-stroud

On 11/30/2022 at 9:28 AM, utenation said:

Because there is a shitload of tradition with the B10 and P12 in this game. 

And I think the other big bowls want to be part of the CFP playoff rotation. 

The B10 just took a huge dump on the PAC.  Tradition?  Relevance is relative and it's dropping like a rock. 

On 11/30/2022 at 1:28 PM, roughrider said:

The B10 just took a huge dump on the PAC.  Tradition?  Relevance is relative and it's dropping like a rock. 

Sure. But this doesn’t change the fact that many kids playing football in the West dreamed of playing for their favorite P12 team and playing in Rose Bowls when they were watching the game on TV.  Likely the same for kids in B10 country. Coaches as well for both areas. 

I’m not advocating that the Rose should hold their ground because the landscape of CFB is changing. 

I’m just stating the reason why this wouldn’t be a well liked solution to be a permanent site for the playoffs.