Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

LoFasZz

UNLV Arroyo fired

On 12/6/2022 at 3:47 PM, Mizzou Man said:

I would be very surprised if Brian Odom joined his brother at UNLV. I can see how that would be entirely logical from the outside. 

Brian was on Barry's staff at Mizzou and when Lincoln Riley/Alex Grinch contacted Brian about coming to Oklahoma (Brian Odom's alma mater) for the same position, Barry was not happy that his own brother would consider making a lateral move and things were strained there at least for a period of time. Perhaps things have changed in the last four years but I think Michael Scherer the LB coach at Arkansas is more likely as UNLV DC.

Thanks for the background info and getting us up to speed on Barry. As you might imagine, this came out of left field.

Not that Barry is unqualified but usually the prerequisite for the job is to have California/West coast ties. I’m wondering if AD Harper believes UNLV would have a better roster getting players from the Midwest/South/Texas areas.

You look at usc, it’s was in trouble until they hired Lincoln Riley and brought over all that talent. Same with Deion Sanders, all that talent in Jackson going with him to Colorado, a p5 wasteland until he showed up a couple days ago. 

On 12/6/2022 at 6:34 PM, ph90702 said:

The P5 job can be here if things go according to plan.

Dan Mullen, a guy I wanted UNLV to consider, was on Steve Cofield today.  He said that he would be shocked if UNLV wasn’t in a P5 soon.

I’d keep an eye on the ucla verdict on December 14th, if it’s official they are gone, then that’s possibly two spots open for the pac-12. 

On 12/6/2022 at 5:51 PM, Mizzou Man said:

Odom's OC hire will be absolutely crucial. I have no clue what route he will go on that side of the ball. I don't know if Seth Littrell would be a possibility. I suspect after losing the North Texas job that he will have plenty of opportunities but Barry is good friends with him and tried unsuccessfully to hire him previously.

He'd be smart to get some offensive coaches that know the West and MWC that have recruiting channels. Many coaches like to bring all their guys but I think geography is important as well. 

On 12/6/2022 at 8:19 PM, Rosegreen said:

You look at usc, it’s was in trouble until they hired Lincoln Riley and brought over all that talent. Same with Deion Sanders, all that talent in Jackson going with him to Colorado, a p5 wasteland until he showed up a couple days ago. 

Did you watch Sander's press conference and tour of CU's facilities?

On 12/6/2022 at 9:19 PM, Rosegreen said:

Thanks for the background info and getting us up to speed on Barry. As you might imagine, this came out of left field.

Not that Barry is unqualified but usually the prerequisite for the job is to have California/West coast ties. I’m wondering if AD Harper believes UNLV would have a better roster getting players from the Midwest/South/Texas areas.

It's possible that the rationale is tied a little bit to finding another fertile recruiting area outside of the West Coast. To me the hire of Barry Odom simply represents trying to find the best coach available that matched UNLV's vision and fits within the constraints of their budget. I am biased and really like the guy and am beyond thrilled to see him gone from our SEC rivals. We went 2-1 against his Arkansas defense but it never seemed right seeing him at Arkansas. 

I am sure he will focus primarily on recruiting California and the West Coast but he does have some connections back in the Midwest that can supplement that. I remember when former Mizzou OC Dave Christensen got the Wyoming job that he always seemed to bring in some KC and St. Louis kids back to Laramie (not comparing Christensen to Odom). In the transfer portal area geography probably doesn't mean nearly as much with respect to transfers. And college football history is filled with programs making great hires of coaches who have no geographic ties whatsoever to the job that ultimately made them household names.

On 12/6/2022 at 9:35 PM, utenation said:

He'd be smart to get some offensive coaches that know the West and MWC that have recruiting channels. Many coaches like to bring all their guys but I think geography is important as well. 

That makes perfect sense to me. No clue whatsoever about who he would bring in on offense. He really ceded a lot of control of that side of the ball to the OC. I don't see any of the old Mizzou offensive staff coming with him. You aren't bringing in Derek Dooley as coordinator for sure. I expect he will allocate a huge portion of the coaching pool money to find an OC who has experience on the West Coast/MWC and let them have quite a bit of say with the positional coaches.

On 12/6/2022 at 8:54 PM, Mizzou Man said:

That makes perfect sense to me. No clue whatsoever about who he would bring in on offense. He really ceded a lot of control of that side of the ball to the OC. I don't see any of the old Mizzou offensive staff coming with him. You aren't bringing in Derek Dooley as coordinator for sure. I expect he will allocate a huge portion of the coaching pool money to find an OC who has experience on the West Coast/MWC and let them have quite a bit of say with the positional coaches.

Not sure how much of this thread you've read but you make excellent points. I learned in this thread that Arroyo was a moron when it came to building local relationships. There's good talent in Vegas that is walking out the door. But if a guy can come in and win, not many will question his recruiting process or coach choices.  But I think part of this job is to get the locals involved and invested. Again, winning solves a lot of problems. 

And like you and others have said, the transfer portal is a whole new ballgame these days to solve any short term needs.

On 12/6/2022 at 7:45 PM, Castle Ram said:

This is a sneaky good hire for UNLV. He can coach and doesn't need HC training wheels.  Recruiting the WC could be a concern depending on his staff

It's a Steve Addazio type hire. I'm sorry, it's a massively underwhelming hire. Although, a very typical UNLV hire.

On 12/6/2022 at 8:59 PM, kingpotato said:

I wasn't tagged, but I'll answer. It's a fecking shite hire. Maybe he can get them to .500? I guess that's good for UNLV. So maybe it's good by reb standards.

its cringe when americans try to talk like brits btw

Rebel18_zps27699187.gif

On 12/7/2022 at 12:01 AM, Rebels18 said:

its cringe when americans try to talk like brits btw

Kinda like the rest of us having to listen to who UNLVfan thinks they're gunna get as a coach... vs who they actually get. Bob's your uncle...

On 12/6/2022 at 9:07 PM, kingpotato said:

Kinda like the rest of us having to listen to who UNLVfan thinks they're gunna get as a coach... vs who they actually get. Bob's your uncle...

ohhhh you're one of those guys that takes my shitposting seriously, that awesome

Rebel18_zps27699187.gif

On 12/7/2022 at 12:23 AM, Rebels18 said:

ah yes, if only there wasn't a based UNLV shitposter that didn't make a mockery of this process since page 2....

image.png.57118181981ec49b63161cd318c94467.png

Do you really think any of us read these  UNLV threads until something actually happens? I started posting in this one a half hour ago... I waited for the ridiculous "candidates" on social media pass by before their actual coaching hire made everyone's boner went uneventfuly flaccid.