Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

LoFasZz

UNLV Arroyo fired

Season tickets sales  at Allegiant games were on the rise. Harper and several others mentioned it this week. We all know that there is money just laying there to be picked up with the proper hire. We also know that a bunch of current ticket holders are either pissed or waiting to see the commitment that the AD and Admin have to future success of the program. These decisions are year end finals, pass/fail. There is much more on the line here than previous hires. 

On 11/29/2022 at 6:53 PM, Nevada Convert said:

It’s Tuesday night and no buzz at all about anyone. Harper didn’t have a real stud ready to replace Arroyo.

Maybe and maybe not. One thing I have liked about Harpers admin is that everything isn’t played out on social media and press. 

On 11/29/2022 at 4:43 PM, rebelcuff said:

What kind of drugs you smoking?

Whatever it is, I want some. 

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

Lotsa Gary Patterson chatter. I’m not believing it or anyone that says he is until he signs a contract. We’ve been through these things too many times. 

I mentioned this before but I think another shoe is going to drop after this coaching announcement, IF we drop serious coin on a serious coach. 

On 11/29/2022 at 10:55 AM, Rebels18 said:

THIS WOULD BE SO F*CKING AWESOME!

NEON DEION IN LAS VEGAS

I Hope Please GIF

"We don't have evidence but, we have lot's of theories."

Americans Mayor

On 11/29/2022 at 12:01 PM, Rosegreen said:

Wouldn’t the PAC12 lose money staying at 10 and potentially lose a championship game? Not to mention someone leaked out very early that SDSU is joining. 

The XII plays a CCG with 10 Schools. You just have to play a round robin schedule to qualify. 

"We don't have evidence but, we have lot's of theories."

Americans Mayor

On 11/28/2022 at 11:15 PM, utenation said:

If this coach came from a college coaching background and knows how to recruit, it might work. But the last NFL coach that tried to bring a NFL/Business/CEO mission statement to college football was Herm Edwards and he failed miserably. College kids are now learning the business side of the game with NIL but they are still college kids with helicopter parents involved. 

I don’t know Herm Edward’s problems at ASU, but I can kind of tell that ASU is a lot more of a college atmosphere than UNLV is.  

The NFL/business mindset clashes with the party hard, big state school.

If you like to party on campus or Mill Ave in Tempe (when you’re 21), then ASU.  

While UNLV also has some party in it, I think they can really attract the portal, JC guys and traditional grad transfers.  They got their partying done when they were 18, 19, 20 and now they want to get paid - or get on that path.

From a college football fan perspective, we like seeing our players develop over the years.  But that’s getting rarer.

UNLV can carve its niche.  I can’t think of a better fit.  

On 11/29/2022 at 9:47 PM, Rosegreen said:

Lotsa Gary Patterson chatter. I’m not believing it or anyone that says he is until he signs a contract. We’ve been through these things too many times. 

I mentioned this before but I think another shoe is going to drop after this coaching announcement, IF we drop serious coin on a serious coach. 

If you get Gary Patterson, I’ll be jealous. He’s going to require major coin, though, and you guys won’t have that kind of dough. Probably at least $5 to $6 mil per year. He was making at least $5.1 mil in 2017 and $6.1 mil when he left TCU. 

kat.jpg

On 11/28/2022 at 9:40 AM, Bob said:

Whaaaaaa? wow. UNLV is stupid

I thought he had a 50/50 chance surviving the off-season.

The only team Nevada Southern Land Grant beat this yr was (Sun Belt, C-USA...who's knows which conf their in) power: NoTejas (7-5).

¿Going 3-5 (.600), in the especially weak MWC-West in Yr #3 of his tenure, is supposed to save your job?

If HC MJN-III goes 3-5 in conf in 2024, I hope we bid a very good man adieu.

On 11/29/2022 at 6:08 PM, Rebels2k3 said:

So the Fertittas are running our coaching search again? Good lord....just using it to hire one of their buddies for career advancement. They don't really give two shits about UNLV.

No, Brewer is just pitching a guy he has a connection with.

I don't know who paid the buyout, but someone is going to have an influence on this, for better or worse.

On 11/29/2022 at 6:43 PM, quickdraw said:

Season tickets sales  at Allegiant games were on the rise. Harper and several others mentioned it this week. We all know that there is money just laying there to be picked up with the proper hire. We also know that a bunch of current ticket holders are either pissed or waiting to see the commitment that the AD and Admin have to future success of the program. These decisions are year end finals, pass/fail. There is much more on the line here than previous hires. 

As I mentioned on Saturday, I've been on the fence about tickets for next year, just getting tired of all the driving I do. This hire will make the decision for me.

On 11/30/2022 at 4:26 AM, 4UNLV said:

As I mentioned on Saturday, I've been on the fence about tickets for next year, just getting tired of all the driving I do. This hire will make the decision for me.

You will be there. You homer.