Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

LoFasZz

UNLV Arroyo fired

On 11/29/2022 at 10:25 AM, mugtang said:

He may not work for 2 years just out of spite if he was blindsided 

Yup...cuz million dollar a year asst coaching jobs are in short supply.  He can wait a year.

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

On 11/28/2022 at 5:52 PM, ph90702 said:

That bixch dumb as hell. A Karen calling out racism? You have GOT to be kidding me.

Hecky no!

Gotta be big $$$ behind this move. Can’t make a difference without the money to go big. If this is just an ego trip it will fail again. No matter the “practical reasons to do it at this time it will just look like another failure for the AD and ADMIN. 

Shock the world and sign Neon for $5m per year. Probably 3 or 4 other difference makers but after that it’s just another wild ass hope and a prayer. Step up Harper and show us your plan this week or maybe next at the latest. After that it will get ugly.

On 11/29/2022 at 8:59 AM, quickdraw said:

Gotta be big $$$ behind this move. Can’t make a difference without the money to go big. If this is just an ego trip it will fail again. No matter the “practical reasons to do it at this time it will just look like another failure for the AD and ADMIN. 

Shock the world and sign Neon for $5m per year. Probably 3 or 4 other difference makers but after that it’s just another wild ass hope and a prayer. Step up Harper and show us your plan this week or maybe next at the latest. After that it will get ugly.

If you guys don’t have a new coach in place by Friday I would start to worry. 

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

On 11/29/2022 at 8:59 AM, quickdraw said:

Yeah how many times are we going to fall for that? The ONLY reason why UNLV would even come up to 5 million salary, would be that there is some assurance that UNLV is going to the PAC-12 as soon as UCLA gets the green light to move to the BigTen on December 14th. 

I’d be shocked if the above happens but my expectation is that UNLV will end up with a Mike Stoops or Kevin Sumlin type. Harper is well connected with the Bob Stoops tree so I expect someone with HC experience and success from that tree. Herman, Patterson and other championship pedigree coaches will be looking for a 5-6 year contract worth 25-30 million.

Again, we’re only getting them if someone tipped off Harper about a move. UNLV’s revenue would skyrocket in that scenario and paying a coach that salary would be nothing. Kruger Jr would likely be at UNLV for a long time and no need to worry about being poached.  Stability was one of Harpers big points in yesterday’s presser, and he definitely seemed to know more than he was letting on. 

On 11/29/2022 at 9:59 AM, ShoichiKUN808 said:

Is it possible for Arroyo just to volunteer (non-paid) at other programs while collecting his 2 years of buyout money. Especially if he fails to find another job at a school willing to pay him north of $1m annually might as well enjoy a tiny vacation until that point. 

No it’s not possible. Contract states any athletic position paid or voluntary. 

On 11/29/2022 at 10:59 AM, ShoichiKUN808 said:

Is it possible for Arroyo just to volunteer (non-paid) at other programs while collecting his 2 years of buyout money. Especially if he fails to find another job at a school willing to pay him north of $1m annually might as well enjoy a tiny vacation until that point. 

Arroyo is amazing and I'd love to hear how he has done it all of these years. He has been able to transition from consistent failures and perennial underperformance into job and pay increases.  Heck, maybe he is Stanford's next head coach given his career trajectory.

On 11/29/2022 at 11:59 AM, ShoichiKUN808 said:

Depends on the wording of the buyout clause in the contract.  Some are like that, some are dollar-for-dollar offset - that's how Charlie Strong ended up at USF after being fired at UT.  USF paid him peanuts his 1st 2 years, and UT had to pay the rest.

https://www.tampabay.com/sports/college/texas-to-pay-most-of-usf-coach-charlie-strongs-salary-for-first-two-years/2306201/

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

On 11/29/2022 at 11:01 AM, Rosegreen said:

Yeah how many times are we going to fall for that? The ONLY reason why UNLV would even come up to 5 million salary, would be that there is some assurance that UNLV is going to the PAC-12 as soon as UCLA gets the green light to move to the BigTen on December 14th. 

I’d be shocked if the above happens but my expectation is that UNLV will end up with a Mike Stoops or Kevin Sumlin type. Harper is well connected with the Bob Stoops tree so I expect someone with HC experience and success from that tree. Herman, Patterson and other championship pedigree coaches will be looking for a 5-6 year contract worth 25-30 million.

Again, we’re only getting them if someone tipped off Harper about a move. UNLV’s revenue would skyrocket in that scenario and paying a coach that salary would be nothing. Kruger Jr would likely be at UNLV for a long time and no need to worry about being poached.  Stability was one of Harpers big points in yesterday’s presser, and he definitely seemed to know more than he was letting on. 

$5 million is unrealistic unless UNLV is P5. Based on the paper trail we've seen so far, it sounds like some UNLV booster(s) have their hands in this. Which also means they will write bigger donation checks if they have a say in this.

So I definitely see a good paycheck for a good HC with experience. 

On 11/29/2022 at 11:21 AM, Gator 82 said:

So purely speculative, but do you think Harper has been in contact with any from the P12 who told him what UNLV had to do in order to get any serious consideration for an invite to the P12? 

Any smart AD would be throwing their hat in the ring. At the end of the day, if the P12 expands, any expansion scenario would have to increase revenue. No point in feeding more mouths if they don't increase payouts.