Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

LoFasZz

UNLV Arroyo fired

On 11/28/2022 at 10:02 PM, utenation said:

What are your thoughts on Mendenhall? He's interviewed at CU and is a rumor for Stanford.  He's goofy and many thought he was just a BYU mold. But he did a lot at Virginia including getting the fans back with forgotten traditions and his kids loved him. Very stinky to a Bowl level team at Virginia. 

He's all about accountability and team. I think he could handle the Vegas market, if he had support and resources from your AD. I think he wants to be in the West as well. 

He's good for 8 win seasons pretty consistently if he's allowed to build something. 

Medenhall fits my criteria of experience and record of winning. Would he take the job? I don’t know if he’s interested in UNLV. He seems to prefer schools that place a priority on value high characters and standards that are almost impossible to meet.

On 11/28/2022 at 11:15 PM, Rosegreen said:

Medenhall fits my criteria of experience and record of winning. Would he take the job? I don’t know if he’s interested in UNLV. He seems to prefer schools that place a priority on value high characters and standards that are almost impossible to meet.

I think Stanford is perfect for him. Their problem is the transfer portal kids still have to meet Stanford's requirements. 

CU is a dumpster fire in their athletic department.  UNLV is a big reach but if his choices fall apart, he might do it.  But the revolving door in Vegas might be a deal breaker for him. Not sure.

I just think he's a good coach.

On 11/28/2022 at 11:46 PM, 415hawaiiboy said:

I would think a HC with NFL experience would match well with Vegas and what UNLV wants to become

If this coach came from a college coaching background and knows how to recruit, it might work. But the last NFL coach that tried to bring a NFL/Business/CEO mission statement to college football was Herm Edwards and he failed miserably. College kids are now learning the business side of the game with NIL but they are still college kids with helicopter parents involved. 

On 11/28/2022 at 9:37 AM, LoFasZz said:

Surprising

UNLV needs to go nfl retread imo. He’ll get Gruden

¿Does Nevada Southern still have a female AD?  Public schools lobbying to get into the 12-Pac are all about having racist & homophobic misgynists coaching their young men.

Gruden & his bride couldn't get out of Viva fast enough.  They had their +$7mm home in Vegas under contract in less-than-30-days after he was fired from Team Davis 2.0.

https://www.reviewjournal.com/business/housing/ex-raiders-coach-jon-gruden-finds-buyer-for-las-vegas-mansion-2537336/

¿Anybody know where The Gruden's call hm a majority of the time these days?

On 11/28/2022 at 9:22 PM, mikexom said:

Wasn't it the boosters that forced the Sanchez hire and subsequent fire, then the Arroyo hire and now fire?  Those tits UNLV sucks on are pretty hairy.

Tits can’t grow hair.  Physically impossible.

On 11/28/2022 at 6:00 PM, toonkee said:

Better off Dead. My favorite.

I want my $2....

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

On 11/29/2022 at 4:20 AM, 4UNLV said:

A little misleading but it costs about 191k a month for Arroyo’s buyout over two years. Not exactly chump change but not 2.3 million lump sum either. No guarantee he takes a job soon as well. 

Arroyo took down any mention of being UNLV head coach on his Twitter page. 

On 11/29/2022 at 7:07 AM, Rosegreen said:

A little misleading but it costs about 191k a month for Arroyo’s buyout over two years. Not exactly chump change but not 2.3 million lump sum either. No guarantee he takes a job soon as well. 

Arroyo took down any mention of being UNLV head coach on his Twitter page. 

I don't want to get too technical.  What if he takes a job in the middle of a month?  Is the $191,000 prorated?  Or is it all-or-nothing?

On 11/29/2022 at 7:17 AM, ph90702 said:

I don't want to get too technical.  What if he takes a job in the middle of a month?  Is the $191,000 prorated?  Or is it all-or-nothing?

Based on my experience with contracts, I would assume prorated. I’m really surprised that UNLV didn’t negotiate a buyout with Arroyo, like they did with the previous 2 coaches. Hauck was paid for his resignation and Sanchez was given similar terms. 

I’m guessing Arroyo was blindsided (reportedly wasn’t well liked by UNLV admin) and Harper has solid backing because this thing was set in motion weeks ago, the fact it was kept quiet is something else too. No leaks, nothing.

On 11/29/2022 at 9:51 AM, ph90702 said:

You can't grow hair on your lips, palms of your hands, soles of your feet, or nipples.  High school human physiology!

That's not what the nuns said...

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

On 11/29/2022 at 7:30 AM, Rosegreen said:

Based on my experience with contracts, I would assume prorated. I’m really surprised that UNLV didn’t negotiate a buyout with Arroyo, like they did with the previous 2 coaches. Hauck was paid for his resignation and Sanchez was given similar terms. 

I’m guessing Arroyo was blindsided (reportedly wasn’t well liked by UNLV admin) and Harper has solid backing because this thing was set in motion weeks ago, the fact it was kept quiet is something else too. No leaks, nothing.

He may not work for 2 years just out of spite if he was blindsided 

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater