Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Wyoguns

Term limits

On 11/28/2022 at 11:26 AM, sactowndog said:

And I would argue it shouldn’t be now though I get Sean’s point about a professional army being a better trained army.  

I would argue that as well. We’d be in far fewer wars that’s for sure. 

Thay Haif Said: Quhat Say Thay? Lat Thame Say

On 11/28/2022 at 4:17 PM, sactowndog said:

Yeah my bad I was referring to a draft versus all professional army.   I would be in favor of the draft as I think all kids not just those needing money for college should spend time serving.  

Look how well conscription has worked out for the Russians. Unless there is a national Emergency, it’s a terrible idea.

On 11/28/2022 at 6:45 PM, sean327 said:

Look how well conscription has worked out for the Russians. Unless there is a national Emergency, it’s a terrible idea.

Plenty of countries have mandatory service and it works pretty well. Emergency wartime conscription usually doesnt unless your country is in a war that most of the citizens believe in.

The mandatory service doesn't even have to be the military, could just be civil service. Help people learn to be responsible citizens. God knows school doesn't do it.

On 11/28/2022 at 6:45 PM, sean327 said:

Yeah I understand your reasons.  It’s also terrible if only those who need help paying for college serve.   I’m not sure a perfect answer exists.   

On 11/28/2022 at 10:40 PM, sactowndog said:

Yeah I understand your reasons.  It’s also terrible if only those who need help paying for college serve.   I’m not sure a perfect answer exists.   

Most don’t go into the military to pay for college. The majority do it for various other reasons. I did it because I wanted to be a Marine since I was 8 and my cousin came home in his Dress Blues, I also wanted to serve my country. I didn’t plan on making it a career. My plan was to do 4 years, go home and walk on to play football at UNM. But somewhere during my first year in the Fleet, I realized I liked what I was doing and I was good at, so I stayed. Best decisions I ever made.

On 11/28/2022 at 9:06 PM, Los_Aztecas said:

Plenty of countries have mandatory service and it works pretty well. Emergency wartime conscription usually doesnt unless your country is in a war that most of the citizens believe in.

The mandatory service doesn't even have to be the military, could just be civil service. Help people learn to be responsible citizens. God knows school doesn't do it.

The Vietnam experience was the breaking point for conscription in this country. There will never be another draft unless something unimaginable happens and the entire country is behind it, even then I’m not sure. 9/11 was the perfect excuse to bring back at least a partial draft, and it wasn’t even considered for good reason. I’m completely against any type of forced service. In my mind, that’s not something a civilized society does. I understand all the reasons, but I’m not comfortable taking an 18 year old kid’s choices from him/her. 

On 11/29/2022 at 11:44 AM, sean327 said:

The Vietnam experience was the breaking point for conscription in this country. There will never be another draft unless something unimaginable happens and the entire country is behind it, even then I’m not sure. 9/11 was the perfect excuse to bring back at least a partial draft, and it wasn’t even considered for good reason. I’m completely against any type of forced service. In my mind, that’s not something a civilized society does. I understand all the reasons, but I’m not comfortable taking an 18 year old kid’s choices from him/her. 

I get it.  But my concern is it is only the wealthier kids who really have choices.  I’m not sure how to reconcile your valid points with mine which I think are equally valid. 

On 11/29/2022 at 3:11 PM, sactowndog said:

I get it.  But my concern is it is only the wealthier kids who really have choices.  I’m not sure how to reconcile your valid points with mine which I think are equally valid. 

I was anything but wealthy and I had multiple choices. I could've worked with my Dad and my Uncle running cows, I could've gone to the tech school in Albuquerque at night at the same time. Jobs were pretty plentiful in Albuquerque during the 80's, the only drawback there would be to either move to Albuquerque or commute every day. Commuting was doable, moving not so much. But like I said, I wanted to be a Marine. So that's what I did. Most of the kids I graduated highschool with started working immediately. 4 of us joined the Marine Corps, one joined the Air Force, 1 went Army, and 2 went navy, 5 or six went to college. Everyone had choices.

On 11/30/2022 at 12:34 PM, sean327 said:

I was anything but wealthy and I had multiple choices. I could've worked with my Dad and my Uncle running cows, I could've gone to the tech school in Albuquerque at night at the same time. Jobs were pretty plentiful in Albuquerque during the 80's, the only drawback there would be to either move to Albuquerque or commute every day. Commuting was doable, moving not so much. But like I said, I wanted to be a Marine. So that's what I did. Most of the kids I graduated highschool with started working immediately. 4 of us joined the Marine Corps, one joined the Air Force, 1 went Army, and 2 went navy, 5 or six went to college. Everyone had choices.

Yeah maybe it’s my upper middle class upbringing but I don’t consider those good choices.  

On 11/28/2022 at 9:06 PM, Los_Aztecas said:

Honestly the “school isn’t doing it” made me bristle.  While I can see your point I feel it’s more of a parental problem than a school problem.  Definitely a slippery slope no matter how you cut it.

On 11/30/2022 at 12:34 PM, sean327 said:

Small class? Rural?

On 11/30/2022 at 2:26 PM, sactowndog said:

Yeah maybe it’s my upper middle class upbringing but I don’t consider those good choices.  

Many Americans with working class roots only have those choices

"We don't have evidence but, we have lot's of theories."

Americans Mayor

On 11/30/2022 at 3:42 PM, Wyoguns said:

Honestly the “school isn’t doing it” made me bristle.  While I can see your point I feel it’s more of a parental problem than a school problem.  Definitely a slippery slope no matter how you cut it.

I get it. It's not solely schools job to produce thoughtful citizens, parents and upbringing have more to do with it. I also get that teachers/educators have too much expected and dumped on them. I do think that schools have a part in creating thoughtful citizens though.

I want to emphasize that I don't think it's the teachers fault that schools are failing at their basic tasks, it's a confluence of events and bureaucracy.

You might even say it takes a village to raise a child...

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

On 12/1/2022 at 10:25 AM, Los_Aztecas said:

I get it. It's not solely schools job to produce thoughtful citizens, parents and upbringing have more to do with it. I also get that teachers/educators have too much expected and dumped on them. I do think that schools have a part in creating thoughtful citizens though.

I want to emphasize that I don't think it's the teachers fault that schools are failing at their basic tasks, it's a confluence of events and bureaucracy.

I’m on board with that.  Teaching these days is an amazing job!  Most days I love what I do but…there are some parents that have no business being parents. Makes the job tough sometimes.  Also the bs that is pushed down from the state and national level doesn’t help in the classroom!