LoboMan59

Breaking News: NMSU VS UNM GAME POSTPONED…

On 11/20/2022 at 7:52 PM, soupslam1 said:

That blows my mind right there. Packing heat on a road trip to play basketball??? What’s even weirder is he actually ended up needing it. Almost like he anticipated a confrontation. 

Does this mean all New Mexico State players are now going to be frisked before getting on the team bus? 

FWIW Mike Peake happens to be from Chicago of all places. 

On 12/6/2022 at 8:53 AM, BacksThePack said:

Think I saw the AD had said he considered cancelling the season?

Nope, nothing of the sort.  Nor should he.  Moccia, the NMSU AD, and the president actually gave a lengthy press conference where they answered questions about a week after the incident.   This was after the state police report had already come out.  It might have been a couple weeks after.  

On 12/5/2022 at 9:35 PM, OrediggerPoke said:

I don’t see how the actions after the shooting would be the basis for any lawsuits but the coaches could be out of jobs.  

I can't see any way a lawsuit would hold up.  4 UNM students planned and tried to execute an ambush in Albq.  An NMSU player broke curfew thinking he was meeting up with a girl.  The whole incident was caught on video.  We have confirmation that the NMSU player was attacked with a bat and the UNM student pulled a gun and fired first.  The NMSU student had a concealed weapon, for which he had a license.  He returned fire while running away and the UNM student is deceased.  The state police released a report after saying the girl confessed to luring the NMSU student.  It's a horribly tragic situation.  As far as the coaches, the one assistant returned the gun to the police.  Again, there was so much speculation right after - was it multiple players, was drugs involved, who shot first, etc.  All of that has been answered by state police and there is video.  Peake is suspended indefinitely from the team.  A UNM student is dead.  Others may face charges for the planning, but that is just my speculation.   Very sad all around.

• Like 2

On 12/6/2022 at 9:19 AM, alum93 said:

I can't see any way a lawsuit would hold up.  4 UNM students planned and tried to execute an ambush in Albq.  An NMSU player broke curfew thinking he was meeting up with a girl.  The whole incident was caught on video.  We have confirmation that the NMSU player was attacked with a bat and the UNM student pulled a gun and fired first.  The NMSU student had a concealed weapon, for which he had a license.  He returned fire while running away and the UNM student is deceased.  The state police released a report after saying the girl confessed to luring the NMSU student.  It's a horribly tragic situation.  As far as the coaches, the one assistant returned the gun to the police.  Again, there was so much speculation right after - was it multiple players, was drugs involved, who shot first, etc.  All of that has been answered by state police and there is video.  Peake is suspended indefinitely from the team.  A UNM student is dead.  Others may face charges for the planning, but that is just my speculation.   Very sad all around.

An excellent summary.  The NMSU player didn't break the law, other than perhaps a campus ban on handguns, I don't know those particulars.  All he broke was curfew and the concept of good decision making.  It is an incredibly tragic situation.