Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

madmartigan

The Mar Al Lago raid aftermath: What is coming?

I thought as a result of the raid we'd have an indictment or two and even charges against Orange man. Nothing has happened. Are they building a case or is there not a case to be built? If nothing comes of this, not a good look at all. 

There are only two things I can't stand in this world: people who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch. 

This WaPo article makes it seem like they may not press charges because there was not nefarious intent.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national-security/2022/11/14/trump-motive-mar-a-lago-documents/

The fact that he's announced a run would make any charges brought appear to be a political attack to about 40% of the country. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

The Archivist allows for one warning on overdue materials.

The next time, ..................

Don't even ask what comes next.

spank dragons' den GIF by CBC

"We don't have evidence but, we have lot's of theories."

Americans Mayor

On 11/18/2022 at 9:56 AM, bsu_alum9 said:

This WaPo article makes it seem like they may not press charges because there was not nefarious intent.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national-security/2022/11/14/trump-motive-mar-a-lago-documents/

The fact that he's announced a run would make any charges brought appear to be a political attack to about 40% of the country. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

The announced run also made them appoint a special counsel.

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

On 11/18/2022 at 9:56 AM, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Nah.  If he had Nuclear secrets, signals intelligence, and payrolls of intelligence assets they needed to be removed from the Lago.  Period.   

It was none of that. See the article BSU posted.

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

On 11/18/2022 at 10:30 AM, madmartigan said:

I thought as a result of the raid we'd have an indictment or two and even charges against Orange man. Nothing has happened. Are they building a case or is there not a case to be built? If nothing comes of this, not a good look at all. 

DOJ will be meticulous *10.  They have the legal processes to work through.  They are building a case(s).  The Special Master review goes until (possibly) Dec. 16th then the documents the DOJ retains will be part of the rest of the (possible) indictments that will not be coming very soon thereafter.

I think an indictment for violating USC18 793 (e) is an eventuality.  A couple other codes also in play.  See 2023 after the valley snows melt. 

On 11/18/2022 at 10:30 AM, madmartigan said:

Maybe he announced his 2024 presidential run in order to give himself the "political attack" angle, or maybe he thinks he can pardon himself if something is coming.

Or maybe the FBI didn't see another alternative to removing classified information from a private residence. 

Tireless, often bitchy, wrong at times esp. when out of her main legal documents analysis lanes, Marcy Wheeler from a few days back: 

"Short of doing a search on another Trump property, preferably in Virginia but possibly in New Jersey or New York, this case cannot be charged until DOJ can present documents the custody of which it has guaranteed to a grand jury. DOJ has to make sure they have the evidence they would use to charge Trump (though adjudicating these disputes now might make any prosecution quicker on the back end)."

https://www.emptywheel.net/2022/11/14/merrick-garland-hasnt-done-the-specific-thing-you-want-because-doj-has-been-busy-doing-things-they-have-to-do-first/

On 11/18/2022 at 9:30 AM, madmartigan said:

how it "looks" is of no concern

On 11/18/2022 at 9:56 AM, bsu_alum9 said:

WaPo article makes it seem like they may not press charges because there was not nefarious intent.h

Right. Just abject stupidity of such a magnitude that the offender can't be trusted to serve competently as dog catcher much less President.

On 11/18/2022 at 12:33 PM, UNLV2001 said:

TFG better get the lube ready.

From this article in 2010...

https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/sdut-dojs-elite-public-integrity-unit-gets-new-leader-2010aug30-story.html

Smith sees his job as serving people like his parents and the values they instilled as he grew up in the upstate New York town of Clay: “They pay their taxes, follow the rules and they expect their public officials to do the same.”

On 11/18/2022 at 12:40 PM, UNLV2001 said:

I would disagree with that take. From the same article

But when the facts don’t warrant a prosecution, “you have to be able to admit that if it’s not there, it’s not there,” Smith said. “I think that’s hard for people to do and having been a prosecutor for 15 years that is something I can do.”

And something he has done repeatedly in recent months: He closed long-running investigations of former House Majority Leader Tom DeLay, R-Texas; Rep. Don Young, R-Alaska, and former Rep. John Doolittle, R-Calif. without charges. And adhering strictly to policy, Smith left it to the other side to disclose the closures.

On 11/18/2022 at 12:42 PM, bsu_alum9 said:

I would disagree with that take. From the same article

He's right on that - Also this moves the AG Garland out of the spotlight now that the GOP has control of the House in 2023 & might call in Garland for endless questions - Saw some "expert" mention this