Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

UNLV2001

UNLV at Hawaii

On 11/20/2022 at 12:34 AM, Rebels18 said:

You gotta be SHITTING ME

No.  The season turned exactly as I thought it would.  5th win verse Reno.  My offer has changed though.   Now it is a $65 donation to your local Ronald McDonald house.  Or the entire $100 after you lose to Reno.  Save yourself $35, take the new girlfriend to lunch. 

On 11/20/2022 at 9:52 AM, slappy said:

No.  The season turned exactly as I thought it would.  5th win verse Reno.  My offer has changed though.   Now it is a $65 donation to your local Ronald McDonald house.  Or the entire $100 after you lose to Reno.  Save yourself $35, take the new girlfriend to lunch. 

Not a chance old timer! ALL or NOTHING

Rebel18_zps27699187.gif

As disgusted as we should rightfully be after losing 6 in a row following a 4-1 start, gotta remember this is UNLV Football we are talking about and progress has been made. Would be nice to win some close games but the fact they are even in close games and not getting blown out is true progress. Those calling for Arroyo to be fired are dismissing the consistent progress he has made since he arrived and also dismissing the simple fact this is UNLV Football we are talking about here.

Untitled Jam 1 (1).png

On 11/20/2022 at 12:23 PM, ph90702 said:

You’re a real fuuckiin’ man!

I think that it’s bullshit that you can not add up all the wins in the state of Nevada and put together an all star type team and let those kids go bowling.   I do think you can put Reno with Vegas and have a decent team for a low level bowl game.  This should be brought up at the next MW meeting. 

The UNLV (4-7/2-5) football team lost 31-25 at Hawai'i (3-9/2-5) Saturday night at the Clarence T.C. Ching Complex.

The Rainbow Warriors also recaptured the beloved golden pineapple Ninth Island Showdown trophy sponsored by the California Hotel.

Playing through short and various levels of rain bursts on the Hawai'i campus, UNLV wasted a halftime lead for the second straight week after going into the locker room ahead 13-7.

After suffering multiple injuries in the defensive secondary, UNLV saw Hawai'i throw two second-half touchdowns to spark its rally. Rebel Elijah Shelton would score on a fumble return and then force another takeaway to give the visitors a chance to win late but a 34-yard rushing score all but sealed it for the hosts with under three minutes remaining.

REBEL OF THE GAME:

PK Daniel Gutierrez continues to show he is deserving of All-America status as the Super Senior hit four of five field goal attempts to keep his team in the game. On the night, he not only became his school's all-time leading points scorer but he also broke his own previous school record set last year by making his 17th consecutive field goal -- before finally hitting the post on a rainy attempt late in the game to end the streak.

STAT OF THE GAME:

UNLV finished with more first downs and total yards gained than UH but had to settle for field goals on four different successful drives.

QUOTABLE:

"Frustrated is an understatement. They played better than we did and that's a hard locker room right now, we have to do a much better job. We just got out-competed and that was uncharacteristic. I was tough on the guys all week, I warned them that this type of game gets set up this way. That's got to fall on my shoulders first, got to fall on the ears that hear it and look at what we can do different."

UNLV Head Coach Marcus Arroyo

REBEL NOTES:

-The annual meeting of these teams have been decided by one score in six of the last 10

-The home team won this matchup for the 12th time in the last 14 outings

-UNLV lost a one-score game for the third straight week and for the 10th time in the last 23 games dating back to last season

-Super Senior LB Austin Ajiake, who came in leading the MW in total tackles, added 15 more to his season total, including two TFL, along with a fumble recovery

-Elijah Shelton's scoop and score, which came off Adam Plant's QB sack, was the first fumble returned for a TD by a Rebel since 2016

-Receiver Kyle Williams was the standout on offense, posting his first 100-yard game fo the season with 111 on eight catches

-With a crowd of just over 9,000, this marked the smallest capacity stadium for a UNLV football game since 1973 when the Rebels faced UNR at then-6,500-seat Mackay Stadium

-UNLV has three players from the islands on its team: starting center Leif Fautanu, reserve QB Cameron Friel and DB Kilinahe Mendiola-Jensen

NEXT FOR THE REBELS:

UNLV closes out its season by hosting UNR in the annual Battle for the Fremont Cannon on Saturday. Kickoff for Senior Day at Allegiant Stadium is set for 3 p.m. PT.

On 11/20/2022 at 11:26 AM, VincentVegaBond said:

As disgusted as we should rightfully be after losing 6 in a row following a 4-1 start, gotta remember this is UNLV Football we are talking about and progress has been made. Would be nice to win some close games but the fact they are even in close games and not getting blown out is true progress. Those calling for Arroyo to be fired are dismissing the consistent progress he has made since he arrived and also dismissing the simple fact this is UNLV Football we are talking about here.

Marcus Arroyo is not won a single one score margin game.  NOT ONE!

On 11/20/2022 at 12:05 PM, ph90702 said:

Marcus Arroyo is not won a single one score margin game.  NOT ONE!

Yeah, and that sucks a$$, no argument from me there. But once again we are UNLV Football, one of the most historically pathetic programs in the country, and we have made tangible progress.

Untitled Jam 1 (1).png

On 11/20/2022 at 12:40 PM, VincentVegaBond said:

Yeah, and that sucks a$$, no argument from me there. But once again we are UNLV Football, one of the most historically pathetic programs in the country, and we have made tangible progress.

I’m 11-4 in set tiebreakers in the past two years.  Winners win!

On 11/20/2022 at 12:40 PM, VincentVegaBond said:

We’re not paying Arroyo 1.6 million a year for “tangible” progress whatever that means. We’re literally paying Arroyo a million dollars a win.

Hawaii is rebuilding their program at the fraction of a cost that UNLV is. Chang makes 500k a year, they play in a dinky stadium (temporary) and Chang had no problem out coaching Arroyo. 

On 11/20/2022 at 12:56 PM, Rosegreen said:

We’re not paying Arroyo 1.6 million a year for “tangible” progress whatever that means. We’re literally paying Arroyo a million dollars a win.

Hawaii is rebuilding their program at the fraction of a cost that UNLV is. Chang makes 500k a year, they play in a dinky stadium (temporary) and Chang had no problem out coaching Arroyo. 

My question to you would be, based on the historical incompetence of our admin and lack of interest among any remotely decent coaches to come here, what are the chances we would land someone even close to as "good" (I use that term only for reference) as Arroyo? Constant turnover and likely underwhelming hire would hurt the program way more than keeping him IMO.

Untitled Jam 1 (1).png

On 11/19/2022 at 10:56 PM, RebelSaint702 said:

The defense sucks

Last year it was the entire defense. The line and linebackers have made a big step forward but still need a few more upgrades. Offense needs more on the line and defense needs a further upgrade to the backs. Seeing as the past few years has seen a serious upgrade in recruiting I expect these areas to be a focus in the off-season.

Reno is always a fun game. Wrap up the season and get back to work building.

Did anything turn out any different than what many thought? Sounds like things turned out almost exactly as predicted. Some of you need to stay off the interweb because you’re your own worst enemies.

https://collegefootballnews.com/2022/09/unlv-rebels-preview-2022-season-prediction-breakdown-key-games-players/amp

Don’t feel bad UNLV fans. Your underestimation of Hawaii makes you feel worst than what you should. The better team won.

Here’s something that should make you feel a little better. Hawaii loss 4 MWC games by 7 or less points. We could have very well been 6-1 in MWC play if the ball bounced the right way a couple of times. 

Disclaimer: Any views or opinions presented by this poster (Warbow) are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the Univesity of Hawaii or it's loyal fans. All quotes and opinions from Warbow are valid for 30 days following the date of post transmission and are subject to change at any time. All information published herein by Warbow is gathered from his own opinions or sources which are thought to be reliable, but the reader should not assume that the information is official or fact.

It’s satisfying beating the Rebels, because any given year they would win or us.  They are our protected partners (along with SDSU) in conference scheduling.  We play for a trophy that is beautiful (a Golden Pineapple, which to longtime Hawaii fans resembles the Dole Pineapple Statue).  

Like Warbow said, we were something like 16 points from being 6-1 in conference.  In Vegas gambler terms, we were due to win one of these close games.  Usually, the other team makes impossible catches and strings together a game winning drive against us.  We tried to give you guys the game, but the rain prevented your QB from looking like an All-American in the last 5 mins of the game.

I credit the rain in the 4th quarter.  Next time you play in Hawaii you need someone with a water hose at practice spraying the players in practice.  It rains in Manoa (not in Vegas). 

Good game!  You have some great athletes.  

The Rebel DB who got his ankle/leg messed up with QB Schager’s slide, that looked freaky bad.  Hope he’s alright.

The Hawaii Oline seemed to pass pro very well, despite you guys had studs on the DLine.  

Your QB can play.  Super athletic and he threw some dimes. 

Hawaii’s been pretty stout against the run in conference play (except against Fresno).  Slowing down your A-Train was the key.  Last year, your Chuckwagon beat us.  

On 11/20/2022 at 1:06 PM, VincentVegaBond said:

My question to you would be, based on the historical incompetence of our admin and lack of interest among any remotely decent coaches to come here, what are the chances we would land someone even close to as "good" (I use that term only for reference) as Arroyo? Constant turnover and likely underwhelming hire would hurt the program way more than keeping him IMO.

Our AD has a significant football background. I can’t fathom he’s not paying attention to the program. We’ve had coaches in the past with very successful resumes (Phillip Fulmer and John Robinson won championships) that we’re interested in coaching the program despite the facilities being worse than some local high schools. Eddie O was interested in UNLV before winning a championship at LSU. 

Now we have the best facilities in the country, we’ve heard coaches like Tom Herman rave about this program and the facilities. Coaches have taken notice, don’t kid yourself. 

My answer is yes, we can hire someone with a winning pedigree and previous experience of leading a program from the front. UNLV needs to stop settling for mediocre football, with the infrastructure in place going 6-23 over 3 years is unacceptable. 6-7 losses in a row in the third year, unacceptable. Nobody else in the country puts up with that kind of mediocrity.