Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Gonzagafan2021

Has anyone noticed how much Big 12 fans have been cocky?

On 11/17/2022 at 10:52 AM, AztecSU said:

Just like Birmingham, Knoxville, and Columbus, amirite?

What the hell are you talking about?  You brought it up, not me.

It's real simple.  ESPN owns the SEC and the ACC entirely.  So's its not a surprise that ESPN's biggest markets are from those 2 conferences.  And basketball takes up more time in general on ESPN than football, so it's also hardly a surprise that ESPN does well in ACC markets.

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

On 11/17/2022 at 10:25 AM, RSF said:

Chicago is (*gag*) Notre Dame's town.  You will see other schools represented, but only because its the center of the Big 10.  And even then college sports still takes a back seat to the pro teams.

Not really. Not in the way it was in the heyday of the subway alumni.  Their children and grandchildren have largely moved on. And the current waves of Catholic immigrants (Polish and Hispanic) are all soccer fans. 

There are hundreds of thousands of B10 alumni here. At best, ND might (and only if they're winning) win a narrow plurality with Michigan, Michigan State, Ohio State, Wisconsin and Iowa. There are hundreds of gamewatch bars around the city. Y9u just don't see that in DC, NYC or Boston. They exist but not in the way they do in Chicago. 

If someone has access to ratings for college games by city, I'd be interested in seeing that. 

On 11/17/2022 at 11:11 AM, RebelAlliance said:

Not really. Not in the way it was in the heyday of the subway alumni.  Their children and grandchildren have largely moved on. And the current waves of Catholic immigrants (Polish and Hispanic) are all soccer fans. 

There are hundreds of thousands of B10 alumni here. At best, ND might (and only if they're winning) win a narrow plurality with Michigan, Michigan State, Ohio State, Wisconsin and Iowa. There are hundreds of gamewatch bars around the city. Y9u just don't see that in DC, NYC or Boston. They exist but not in the way they do in Chicago. 

If someone has access to ratings for college games by city, I'd be interested in seeing that. 

Yes, really.  I was born and raised in Chicago.  I know a little something about it because I lived it.  Yes, a lot of those schools have alumni there - as I said, its the center of the Big 10.  But ND is the big dog.  The subway alumni refers to the fans in NY and Boston (mostly Catholic).  Chicago is home base for Notre Dame, not only in T-shirt fans but in the number of actual alumni for ND.

https://www.cbsnews.com/chicago/news/neither-northwestern-nor-illinois-is-chicagos-team/

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

On 11/17/2022 at 9:10 AM, RSF said:

What the hell are you talking about?  You brought it up, not me.

It's real simple.  ESPN owns the SEC and the ACC entirely.  So's its not a surprise that ESPN's biggest markets are from those 2 conferences.  And basketball takes up more time in general on ESPN than football, so it's also hardly a surprise that ESPN does well in ACC markets.

Columbus is SEC/ACC territory? lol. Isn't ESPN the primary rights partner for the B12? Why no cities in Texas? 

On 11/17/2022 at 11:07 AM, AztecSU said:

Sure, fine...doesn't change what I pointed out about ACC ratings if you check Sports Media Watch week by week. The east coast is the most densely populated part of the country and there are plenty of CFB fans there. 

I've been in the DMV for awhile. ACC is very popular up here especially with Virginia and Virginia Tech 

On 11/17/2022 at 11:13 AM, RSF said:

Yes, really.  I was born and raised in Chicago.  I know a little something about it because I lived it.  Yes, a lot of those schools have alumni there - as I said, its the center of the Big 10.  But ND is the big dog.  The subway alumni refers to the fans in NY and Boston (mostly Catholic).  Chicago is home base for Notre Dame, not only in T-shirt fans but in the number of actual alumni for ND.

https://www.cbsnews.com/chicago/news/neither-northwestern-nor-illinois-is-chicagos-team/

And your own link confirms what I said: that even if ND is tops, it's by a narrow plurality over Michigan with a handful of other B1G teams right behind. 

In any event, I'd like to see how college games rate in the Chicago market. Is ND always or even most of the time going to be the top game?  My hunch is no, and if Chicago were truly a "ND city," it would be the case.  I'd also like to see how overall college ratings in Chicago compare to the NE Corridor cities. I'd bet college games pull a much higher share in Chicago.