Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

UNLV2001

#21 Dayton at UNLV

On 11/16/2022 at 12:50 PM, Poster17 said:

I stated that in my post.  Don't get 4-5 star talent just because.  Get the type that fits what you are trying to do.  Here's the thing......if you produce a constant winner the 4-5 star guys that fit your type of system will come.  If you don't win it's hard to get those guys, and what you end up doing is settling for 4-5 divas which don't fit what you want to do.  That's why it's important to make sure you get guys to fit your system especially in college.  Buy-in and belief in a system can succeed with lower ranked guys.  That is all I was trying to state.  I know that KK has gotten criticism for his recruiting so far.  It is not the plethora of 4-5 star players that other UNLV coaches have got, but he has focused more on getting guys who fit what he is trying to develop.  That is a tough minded, defensive focused group.  It takes a special type of player to do that, but if you can get those players you can be real successful.  I like the route he's taking.  Using the portal to get guys that are that type of player and that are hungry.  Once you start winning at a consist rate, something UNLV hasn't seen in 10-15 years, those 4-5 star guys that fit that player profile will start to come your way.  What I'm getting at is I think KK is building this the right way.  I'm excited to see what happens from here. 

Exactly.

On 11/16/2022 at 12:57 PM, Rebels18 said:

If you handed Kruger teams out of the player pool (in their respective years at UNLV) under Rice of Birch/BDJ/Wood/Bennett/Moser/Jones jr/Roscoe/Zimmerman/Vaughn/McCaw/Kendrick he would of had those teams COOKIN' same goes for the rest of the top-5 coaches in the MWC.

It was 100% Rice's fault---it's rarely actually the players. He had no control and no real respect of the players to buy into his system of basketball. You can't have discipline without respect. 

78921E50-EB43-45B2-AA6D-72F63E4B6578.jpeg

24 Points is the second highest point output in a game for EJ Harkless. 

In his highest scoring games he was a lot more efficient, because last nights 10 three point attempts is his most ever taken in a game.

EJs previous high on 3pt attempts was 7 attempts on four separate occasions and 6 attempts one other time.

Id like to see CKK get on EJ, JJ3 and Lui Rod about making more of an effort to get into the paint and attacking the basket.

They can hit some 3's, but its not their strength or the strength of the team.

KenPom rankings thru 11/15/22

Dayton #30.......High Point #198

MWC Teams 

SDSU #16

Utah St #48

Wyoming #81

Boise St #83

Colorado St #95

UNLV #102

Fresno St #113

New Mexico #120

Nevada #123

San Jose St #215

Air Force #243

On 11/16/2022 at 1:47 PM, UNLV2001 said:

KenPom rankings thru 11/15/22

Dayton #30.......High Point #198

MWC Teams 

SDSU #16

Utah St #48

Wyoming #81

Boise St #83

Colorado St #95

UNLV #102

Fresno St #113

New Mexico #120

Nevada #123

San Jose St #215

Air Force #243

I dont get some of these rankings. How tf are Wyoming/Utah St so high? They've played nothing but shitters and Wyo even lost to one of the shitters at home. 

Rebel18_zps27699187.gif

On 11/16/2022 at 3:18 PM, Rebels18 said:

I dont get some of these rankings. How tf are Wyoming/Utah St so high? They've played nothing but shitters and Wyo even lost to one of the shitters at home. 

Prior year stuff. 

On 11/16/2022 at 2:18 PM, Rebels18 said:

On 11/16/2022 at 2:22 PM, Bob said:

Prior year stuff. 

Its a mix of prior year stuff along with a lot of teams are undefeated this time of year. 

The rankings also including starting rank, which is based on last years final rankings. 

Makes no sense for college, but yep.

On 11/16/2022 at 4:03 PM, qwelish said:

SOS:

suds

Boise

unm

UNLV

Looks like csu wyo and reno went cupcake city again.  Can't blame csu. It got them in last season.

Grand Canyon won the WAC last year...hardly a cupcake.

On 11/16/2022 at 2:03 PM, qwelish said:

reno went cupcake city again.  Can't blame csu. It got them in last season.

again?

Per Kenpom, Nevada played the toughest non-conference schedule last year :shrug:

• Nevada #50
  • Utah State #73
  • SDSU #93
  • New Mexico #115
  • UNLV #128
  • Boise State #141
  • Wyoming #187
  • etc...

the Rebels are supposed to be MWC bball royalty... do better slackers

so far this year:

Nevada  #260

UNLV #296 :rotflmfao:

On 11/16/2022 at 7:42 PM, renoskier said:

again?

Per Kenpom, Nevada played the toughest non-conference schedule last year :shrug:

• Nevada #50
  • Utah State #73
  • SDSU #93
  • New Mexico #115
  • UNLV #128
  • Boise State #141
  • Wyoming #187
  • etc...

the Rebels are supposed to be MWC bball royalty... do better slackers

so far this year:

Nevada  #260

UNLV #296 :rotflmfao:

Yet we're the only school in conference with a top-25 OOC win.

Rebel18_zps27699187.gif

On 11/16/2022 at 9:04 AM, qwelish said:

There is Ike Cotty.

Curious to see where he fits on the minutes totem pole. 

Cotty has had foot problems his whole college career and when he has played it's been very underwhelming. He has a lot to prove that he's a competent college player

On 11/16/2022 at 12:10 PM, Rebels18 said:

Ah ta ta, let's not get ahead of ourselves boys. I looooooove me some 5-Star FEVER! We Rebels fans go Coo Coo for STAR PUFFS!

I know everyone loves it when I make this point over and over again but, since the tourney expanded to 64 teams in 1985-----Duke, UNC, Kentucky, Kansas, Florida, MSU, Syracuse, Louisville, Michigan, UCLA, UConn, Villanova account for 60%+ the field of all Final Fours...that's 4% of the D1 schools making up 60% of all field of Final Fours.

These teams consistently fill the field of Sweet 16s of Elite Eights as well. 

What do these programs all have in common? 4 and 5 star talent. You cannot win at the highest level without it. So instead of trying to wiggle our way around that fact, why not push to have our cake and eat it too? Kruger should be landing 4-5 star talent and hopefully as he continues to stabilize/legitimize the program he will start landing them as he's no longer an unknown commodity as a coach. DJ Thomas would be a great start. 

Bingo