Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jdgaucho

UC Santa Barbara to the MWC Board - we need to talk.

UC Santa Barbara hasn't played the lot of ya's much over the last decade - or in some cases, at all. Why is that?

Starting with the Dogs.  

UCSB defeated Fresno State 61-54 on Veterans' Day.  100th all-time game between the two programs.  And the first since November of 2010 :huh:

Supposedly, the reason why we played on a neutral court was the Dogs' reluctance to come to the Thunderdome, and their inability or unwillingness to host because of the UNLV football game that same day. Hence, Santa Cruz.  I have no idea if it's true, so take it with a grain of salt.

I hope this is the start of a series with a game in Santa Barbara and one in Fresno.  We've only played five times since 1992.  No reason to go another decade plus before meeting again.

Cole Anderson is a sharpshooter out of Clovis West.  I think he was excited to play against his hometown school.

UCSB's last game with San Jose State was 2006. Another series with over 100 meetings all-time, but none since I was in college.

Boise and SDSU - 2012 

UNLV and USU - 2013.  Choo's Choo's played a home & home with us in 2013

CSU - 2014.  Only other game was 1969

Nevada - 2016

Pokes - 2018.  Played a home & home in 2012 when they had Nance Jr.

I wasn't even born when we last played Air Force (1977) and UNM (1958).

In the Joe Pasternack era (since 2017), UCSB has played just two games in six years vs MWC opponents, at Wyoming in 2018 and vs Fresno on a neutral floor this season.  They won both.  I'm curious why we haven't met the lot of ya's much lately.  

On 11/13/2022 at 10:31 PM, East Coast Aztec said:

A lot of CA teams to cycle through.  Haven't seen LBSU, Pepperdine or Bakersfield in a while.  UCSB is not a buy game, so it is just lack of availability compounded with a number of other teams around.  Got UCI this year though.

You hosted LBSU last year, and Fullerton last year (this year too).  I know you have a tricky UCI team - hosted them in 2020 too - and a mini series with UCSD going on.  But it's not so much the Aztecs I'm asking about.  It's everyone else in the league.  

The funny and sad thing is @East Coast Aztec, before Fisher and the Aztecs took off, they were a quasi regular on the schedule.   UCSB played SDSU and BYU a combined eight times in the MWC's first six years of existence. Its first season was '99-2000 and it was Bob Williams's (JP's predecessor) second year in Santa Barbara.

I think Bob got along with mostly everybody, even though our recruiting wasn't up to par.  I dunno.

On 11/13/2022 at 10:45 PM, Reverend said:

High risk games with no reward. UCSB and Irvine are dangerous.

We finished in the NET top-50 in 2021 and IIRC, were in the RPI top-100 in both 2015 and 2016 :shrug:

On 11/13/2022 at 11:09 PM, jdgaucho said:

The funny and sad thing is @East Coast Aztec, before Fisher and the Aztecs took off, they were a quasi regular on the schedule.   UCSB played SDSU and BYU a combined eight times in the MWC's first six years of existence. Its first season was '99-2000 and it was Bob Williams's (JP's predecessor) second year in Santa Barbara.

I think Bob got along with mostly everybody, even though our recruiting wasn't up to par.  I dunno.

A lot of these OOC games are based on coaching relationships.  SDSU actively seeks out Quad 1 OOC games so it's not like we're ducking you tortilla tossing freaks. 

“Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.”

-Richard Feynman

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."

-P.J. O’Rourke

On 11/13/2022 at 11:18 PM, SDSUfan said:

A lot of these OOC games are based on coaching relationships.  SDSU actively seeks out Quad 1 OOC games so it's not like we're ducking you tortilla tossing freaks. 

I'd never say you were ducking us.  That's mostly reserved for Nevadans off I-15.  I will say I regret our teams didn't play in '20-'21.  It would have been a fun matchup.  Probably the best team we've had since the late 1980s.

Again, it's not so much about zero games vs the Aztecs since 2012, but rather the rest of ya's.  Home & Home series should be the norm with Nevada, Fresno, UNLV, SJSU, Boise, USU.  Pokes still owe us one at the Thunderdome.

On 11/14/2022 at 4:56 AM, Reverend said:

But what about the rest of the Big West?

In 2015, three Big West teams finished in the RPI top-100.  In 2016, four. In both years all of those teams were in the 75-100 range.  

In 2021, UCSB finished with a NET of 48. UCI was just outside the top-100, at 102 and UCR was 106. 

Last season, no top-100 teams. Top half of the league was in the 135-175 range.  Big West was ranked 19th in NET rankings, sandwiched between the Ivy League and MAC.

On 11/13/2022 at 10:45 PM, Reverend said:

High risk games with no reward. UCSB and Irvine are dangerous.

Although I don't think UCSB has ever played at SDSU, the Aztecs traveled to Santa Barbara once. My buddy and I traveled up to SB from L.A. and it was a great game:

On 11/14/2022 at 9:07 AM, AztecAlien said:

I would like to see SDSU scheduling UCSB for OOC games again. It seems like it could be kind of a fun mini rivalry so why not? 

They need to be more consistent to do HnH with regularity, though there is no reason to not get them on the schedule.  Other MWC should schedule them more for sure.  Nevada, UNLV, Fresno, SJSU and SDSU should be in their rotation.  Like it has been said, could be a bad relation builder making it difficult for UCSB because @jdgaucho showed, they played our squads more in the past

On 11/14/2022 at 5:39 PM, 818SUDSFan said:

Although I don't think UCSB has ever played at SDSU, the Aztecs traveled to Santa Barbara once. My buddy and I traveled up to SB from L.A. and it was a great game:

Chairback seats and a new video board were installed this past season. No more bleachers except for behind the baskets.  I think you'd like the new look.

UCSB has visited Viejas seven times since it opened, which includes the 2003 NIT.  Last visit was 2012.  Our only win there came in '04; 1-6 record all-time in Viejas.

On 11/14/2022 at 2:47 PM, NVGiant said:

You know, a simple thank you for sending UCSB so many good players over the years would suffice. :foottap:

Since Leland King originally started his college career at Brown, maybe we both should thank them? :hmmm:

resize.jpeg.6325ba1854b17996ed9752b10e66c167.jpeg

Thank you Nevada and Muss, for recruiting DeVearl Ramsey.  Technically, because of his redshirt he was Pasternack's first 4 year player.