Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

misplacedcowboy

2022 World Cup!!

On 12/6/2022 at 11:46 AM, thelawlorfaithful said:

One idea I’ve heard that they’ll never do is make the entire game golden goal. Sometimes the game will last 3 minutes, sometimes it will last 3 days. But it would be nerve racking as long as it goes.

And every hour, the goal doubles in size. 

On 12/6/2022 at 12:23 PM, misplacedcowboy said:

Not with the World Cup obviously, but the gold cup? Confederations cup? Sounds fun.

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

On 12/6/2022 at 12:23 PM, Bob said:

There is PLENTY of “Moroccan” DNA in the Spanish population

Sure. Berbers and Arabs (two separate ethnic groups BTW) from Morocco occupied southern portions of Spain (and Portugal) for several centuries. There unquestionably is genetic evidence of that occupation. But there is a lot more to ethnicity than some shared DNA, although Putin probably shares your view. 

Thay Haif Said: Quhat Say Thay? Lat Thame Say

On 12/6/2022 at 1:23 PM, misplacedcowboy said:

Make a 2-Point Arch on the field, like basketball's 3-pointer. Much more excitement when Brazil gets up 2-0 on whomever they're playing! Or a timed penalty box for Yellow Cards like hockey.

Or if you want really high scores, award points to opposing team for flops!

On 12/6/2022 at 8:31 AM, misplacedcowboy said:

It's not Spain's fault, but their games are always so boring to watch. Complete a million passes while never letting the other team touch the ball and then win 1-0. Wouldn't be too upset if they get knocked out.

Sorry @Stealthlobo

Was thrilled to see my adopted country of Japan embarrass them in that 2nd half... 

They've gotta move on from Enrique, they're the only country still playing the old tiki taka and with no real striker like they had in Fernando Torres it just doesn't work 

I can't sing and I can't dance but I can make romance - Macho Man Randy Savage

On 12/6/2022 at 5:31 PM, misplacedcowboy said:

It's not Spain's fault, but their games are always so boring to watch. Complete a million passes while never letting the other team touch the ball and then win 1-0. Wouldn't be too upset if they get knocked out.

Sorry @Stealthlobo

It's actually not their fault directly. The problem is lower quality teams know how to counter their tiki taka by throwing 11 players behind the ball and just sitting in defense hoping for a decent counter attack or 50/50 penalty coin flip. When Spain plays a team of low quality that doesn't do that, then you have a Costa Rica massacre. So they know what they are doing and makes for an extremely boring game.

When Spain plays a higher quality team like France or Germany, then it allows for a more open fun game because the other team is also trying to implement their attack strategy as well and DO NOT want to risk the 50/50 on penalty kicks.

All three of my teams are out though, so guess I'm rooting for Brazil now, and maybe Messi (don't like Argentina, but wouldn't mind Messi getting his deserved trophy).

On 12/7/2022 at 7:21 AM, just_chris said:

Was thrilled to see my adopted country of Japan embarrass them in that 2nd half... 

They've gotta move on from Enrique, they're the only country still playing the old tiki taka and with no real striker like they had in Fernando Torres it just doesn't work 

Agree, back in the day the tiki taka was unstoppable with torres and even villa (especially Barca with messi added in). Now teams know how to combat it though. Spain have now been eliminated from 3 big tournaments in a row on penalty kicks.

On 12/6/2022 at 1:37 PM, Old_SD_Dude said:

Sure. Berbers and Arabs (two separate ethnic groups BTW) from Morocco occupied southern portions of Spain (and Portugal) for several centuries. There unquestionably is genetic evidence of that occupation. But there is a lot more to ethnicity than some shared DNA, although Putin probably shares your view. 

Why am I not shocked that Bob is bringing up such a dumb comparison like this in a soccer thread.

Okay, question for the knowledgeable futbol fans here. If the USMNT lacks a high caliber striker, why did we not play with a false 9? With my limited understanding of the game, I envision a false 9 being someone sort of like a bball point guard that can distribute the ball, but can also finish when given the opportunity. Am I correct here? Is this something that someone like Pulisic would be capable of doing? Do we have others that would be capable of this position?