Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

misplacedcowboy

2022 World Cup!!

On 12/5/2022 at 12:32 PM, roughrider said:

And he only has 2 good FB's.  He ran them into the ground, Van Gaal knew it and exploited the edges.  Hope there's a new head man for the USMNT soon.   Start assessing the talent pool, etc and decide how best to utilize it.

I do agree with you there. They played a ton of minutes. And with Van Gaal using a 3-5-2 the Dutch wingbacks were able to exert a ton of pressure on them.

The thing I don't think you can blame on Berhalter though were the naive goals we gave up. The first two were just a case of poor marking, and on the third no marking at all. When a team is on a fast break like the Dutch were you of course have players attacking each post but the defense also has to be ready for a cut back pass to someone around the penalty spot. We fell for it twice. The third goal was youth league bad.

Despite the difficulties of the Klinsmann period I'd like to see us hire a foreign coach.   

Thay Haif Said: Quhat Say Thay? Lat Thame Say

On 12/5/2022 at 4:39 PM, Old_SD_Dude said:

I do agree with you there. They played a ton of minutes. And with Van Gaal using a 3-5-2 the Dutch wingbacks were able to exert a ton of pressure on them.

The thing I don't think you can blame on Berhalter though were the naive goals we gave up. The first two were just a case of poor marking, and on the third no marking at all. When a team is on a fast break like the Dutch were you of course have players attacking each post but the defense also has to be ready for a cut back pass to someone around the penalty spot. We fell for it twice. The third goal was youth league bad.

Despite the difficulties of the Klinsmann period I'd like to see us hire a foreign coach.   

Those goals really didn't make sense based on the first 3 games other than fatigue IMO.   They made no stupid, sleepy mistakes like that in the first 3. 

I wish I knew who would be best fit for next coach but I hope Ernie Stewart does.  Not sold on him either to be honest. 

On 12/5/2022 at 3:43 PM, roughrider said:

Those goals really didn't make sense based on the first 3 games other than fatigue IMO.   They made no stupid, sleepy mistakes like that in the first 3. 

I wish I knew who would be best fit for next coach but I hope Ernie Stewart does.  Not sold on him either to be honest. 

We didn't play against attackers like that in the first three either though. For whatever reason England chose not to push forward hard and Kane has been off all tournament. The English press claimed Southgate was playing for a draw all along. 

On 12/6/2022 at 9:31 AM, misplacedcowboy said:

It's not Spain's fault, but their games are always so boring to watch. Complete a million passes while never letting the other team touch the ball and then win 1-0. Wouldn't be too upset if they get knocked out.

Sorry @Stealthlobo

Yup. +++++ Spain

If it comes down to it, PKs to decide a berth in the final 8 of the World Cup  is so lame.  I like watching soccer on occasion, but like hockey shootouts think those things cheapen the game. I get that you have two exhausted teams running on fumes (almost literally), but PKs are just way too random for me…

On 12/6/2022 at 9:29 AM, ripple effect said:

If it comes down to it, PKs to decide a berth in the final 8 of the World Cup  is so lame.  I like watching soccer on occasion, but like hockey shootouts think those things cheapen the game. I get that you have two exhausted teams running on fumes (almost literally), but PKs are just way too random for me…

One idea I’ve heard that they’ll never do is make the entire game golden goal. Sometimes the game will last 3 minutes, sometimes it will last 3 days. But it would be nerve racking as long as it goes.

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

On 12/6/2022 at 11:29 AM, ripple effect said:

They could go back to the method they used to use. If the game ends in a tie, the two teams play again the next day. 

On 12/6/2022 at 10:26 AM, Bob said:

JFC. Just play Ronaldo. He's earned that right

As Man Utd found out, they’re better without him now.

His replacement has a hat trick and an assist.