Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

thelawlorfaithful

Game Thread: USA vs the Midterms

The post-mortems will review what happened in individual races and across the country.

But partially I think the GOP saw Trumpism as a repeat of Newt's rough and tumble cultural war. Newt and his followers political style won and then gave the GOP almost a decade of control of Congress.

But Newt and his group also pushed many moderate Republicans like me away from the party.

Trumpism is Newt on steroids to me. The GOP misjudged how far to go with it.

That Trumpist political style pushed even a larger number of moderate Rs and Ds away from the GOP in an election they should have won.

On 11/9/2022 at 9:38 AM, toonkee said:

And by my eyeballs a lot less than 50% wanted to vote for fascists that don't want to count the votes. Maybe we're not as dumb as we think we are. At least so far. 

I think the big donors in the Republican party need to take a good hard look at what happened last night.  In a midterm with high inflation, stock market down, high gas prices,  and Biden WH,  the Dems overperformed and the Republicans underperformed.  Here's a scenario.  The economy goes thru a mild recession and by end of 2023 economy is doing well, market is up, inflation is way down.  Do you really want Trump running against Biden in that environment?  Trump's hard core base doesn't care and will vote for him no matter what.  But if Dems could do this well this year,  why wouldn't Biden beat Trump in 2024 with a good economy.  Maybe the Trump show has run out of real estate and it's time to look at a DeSantis with a young VP.  Get away from the Trump show once and for all.  To do that,  money from the deep pockets will have to step up in the primaries.  My guess is Trump runs again and loses again.

On 11/9/2022 at 8:49 AM, bsu_alum9 said:

House was 220 Democrats and looks like it will drop to 211 (Based on NYT latest data).  So a loss of 9 or so (and the house) is probable.  

Yeah the R’s will have a slim lead which provides leverage for the nut jobs like MTG and Gosar.   It will be interesting how they manage this shit.  Giving MTG a bigger megaphone is only going to hurt them more.   

she represents the 20% of people in Tennessee that voted for slavery 

On 11/9/2022 at 10:22 AM, mugtang said:

On thing is clear, the way we count ballots is embarrassing.  

Follow the Florida model. After 2000 they got their shit together. 

The Masters 5k road race All American.

On 11/9/2022 at 10:47 AM, alum93 said:

I think the big donors in the Republican party need to take a good hard look at what happened last night.  In a midterm with high inflation, stock market down, high gas prices,  and Biden WH,  the Dems overperformed and the Republicans underperformed.  Here's a scenario.  The economy goes thru a mild recession and by end of 2023 economy is doing well, market is up, inflation is way down.  Do you really want Trump running against Biden in that environment?  Trump's hard core base doesn't care and will vote for him no matter what.  But if Dems could do this well this year,  why wouldn't Biden beat Trump in 2024 with a good economy.  Maybe the Trump show has run out of real estate and it's time to look at a DeSantis with a young VP.  Get away from the Trump show once and for all.  To do that,  money from the deep pockets will have to step up in the primaries.  My guess is Trump runs again and loses again.

Their problem is Trump holds them hostage.   He won't step aside.   He will either be the nominee or he will destroy them.    Lose/Lose. They may as well get it over with though because of they keep letting him tell them what to do it will be a slow bloodletting.   

Posted Image

On 11/9/2022 at 11:57 AM, Akkula said:

Their problem is Trump holds them hostage.   He won't step aside.   He will either be the nominee or he will destroy them.    Lose/Lose. They may as well get it over with though because of they keep letting him tell them what to do it will be a slow bloodletting.   

A DeSantis/Trump blood feud threatens to unravel whatever scraps are left of the GOP at this point. 

On 11/9/2022 at 10:56 AM, sactowndog said:

Yeah the R’s will have a slim lead which provides leverage for the nut jobs like MTG and Gosar.   It will be interesting how they manage this shit.  Giving MTG a bigger megaphone is only going to hurt them more.   

If the Republican moderates go along with MTG craziness they are dead men walking for 2024 in this swing districts. 

Posted Image

On 11/9/2022 at 9:59 AM, MetropolitanCowboy said:

A DeSantis/Trump blood feud threatens to unravel whatever scraps are left of the GOP at this point. 

scraps of the GOP? They could still control 2 of the 3 branches. GOP needs an overhaul, but it's not dead

On 11/9/2022 at 9:57 AM, Akkula said:

That's why i said the big donors have to step up.  He most definitely will burn the house down if he can't be the leader, but you either rip the bandaid off quickly or you slowly pull it while screaming.  

On 11/9/2022 at 10:56 AM, sactowndog said:

It was banned as a criminal punishment. Owning of slaves was banned over a century ago. Apparently Carmichael doesn’t like to read and thinks people still own slaves in the rural counties. 

Im all for bringing back the chain gangs as punishment. 

The Masters 5k road race All American.

On 11/9/2022 at 9:59 AM, Bob said:

A good and depressing article (if you are a Republican) from Jim Geraghty

https://www.nationalreview.com/the-morning-jolt/the-red-splish-splash/

This part is a short summary of last night.

And the nation, deeply dissatisfied with the way the Democrats were running things, looked at what the GOP offered as the alternative and concluded, “Nope, I’ll stick with what the Democrats are giving me” in a lot of key places.

On 11/9/2022 at 9:40 AM, Old_SD_Dude said:

Crazy is code for you and your ilk Bob. 

I see a lot more craziness within the democrat party. Transgenderism, soft on crime, defund the police, full blown border crisis, running up the national debt like it's their job, student loan transfer of wealth to the upper class, the Afghanistan debacle, the mishandling of covid, climate cultism, baby murdering.  The list goes on and on. Still can't wrap my mind around it all.