Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

idkk

SDSU cutting ticket prices more than 50% for rest of season

On 11/7/2022 at 2:14 PM, Spaztecs said:

Does this kill the MLS to Snapdragon ?

As a member of the PAC they will need to add 10-15 thousand more seats. While those new seats will probably wait until the current construction debt is paid off, isn't a 45k seat stadium to big for the MLS ?  I thought their business model was smaller Stadiums with excellent sightlines and being up close to the action.

Also, I'll bet this brings the Holiday Bowl back to Mission Valley.

No - several MLS teams play in NFL stadiums.  New England, Atlanta, Chicago, Seattle, Vancouver.  They PREFER the smaller stadiums, but what they want more is billionaire owners and revenue stream control.  The latter will be more of an issue for San Diego.  If/when San Diego get an MLS team, a Stadium expansion won't be an issue.  BTW - the WSU stadium seats 32k.

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

On 11/7/2022 at 2:20 PM, RSF said:

No - several MLS teams play in NFL stadiums.  New England, Atlanta, Chicago, Seattle, Vancouver.  They PREFER the smaller stadiums, but what they want more is billionaire owners and revenue stream control.  The latter will be more of an issue for San Diego.  If/when San Diego get an MLS team, a Stadium expansion won't be an issue.  BTW - the WSU stadium seats 32k.

Thanks for the MLS info.

Yes Pullman has a small crib, however the Aztecs could easily pull 40 to 45 k for PAC games. Even if they are middle of the road. If they go UNLV for five years, the fanbase walks away.

"We don't have evidence but, we have lot's of theories."

Americans Mayor

On 11/7/2022 at 2:04 PM, 818SUDSFan said:

If you're the guy I think you are, like me, you've definitely been around the block as an SDSU alumnus. If you haven't made it to the new stadium, I'll add to your comment by saying Snapdragon is deceptive on TV because it's untraditional in having so many beer gardens, eateries and whatnot along the collanade or whatever they call it. Fact is, particularly when our offense is tedious to watch, folks meet up with others there and don't miss any of the action because there are so many monitors showing the game all over the place. The two guys who sat behind my buddies and I versus UNLV just bitched and moaned all night after presumably buying their tickets from the usual season ticket holders for probably half price and one could easily have been Spaztecs in saying the stadium deserves a rating of 4 on a 10 scale because among other things, the price of beer is too high. Screw that kind of fan. Just another old fart who, contrary to you and I, didn't parlay their modestly priced bachelor's degree into a well-paying professional career.

I got priced out of the market when Weber State stopped letting you in for free at halftime.

Happy Episode 19 GIF by The Simpsons

"We don't have evidence but, we have lot's of theories."

Americans Mayor

On 11/7/2022 at 4:07 PM, Spaztecs said:

Thanks for the MLS info.

Yes Pullman has a small crib, however the Aztecs could easily pull 40 to 45 k for PAC games. Even if they are middle of the road. If they go UNLV for five years, the fanbase walks away.

Maybe year one, but as we have seen this year, if they continue to bore the crowds with excruciatingly bad offense, we could be playing Bama and wouldn't get  a house full of Aztecs there. 

But, just think what happens when they win with a more exciting team....    We have seen it with Viejas, it can easily be done for Snapdragon.

Just got my season ticket renewals today. Club seats on the 35yl prices stay the same at $400ea. Special for end zone seats are $125 for renewals and $150 for new season tickets. Great prices for a fun season and family friendly sports not to mention a great venue. With competition for people’s time and money comes competitive pricing.

On 11/7/2022 at 12:14 PM, Spaztecs said:

Does this kill the MLS to Snapdragon ?

As a member of the PAC they will need to add 10-15 thousand more seats. While those new seats will probably wait until the current construction debt is paid off, isn't a 45k seat stadium to big for the MLS ?  I thought their business model was smaller Stadiums with excellent sightlines and being up close to the action.

Also, I'll bet this brings the Holiday Bowl back to Mission Valley.

I spoke with a guy who was a construction foreman at Snapdragon. He’s still working on the utilities on the rest of the site. Expansion of the stadium is theoretically possible, but it would require dismantling and then rebuilding most of the eastern stand. It ain’t gonna happen for a very long time if ever. It was essentially something SDSU had to acknowledge in order to demonstrate that it was theoretically possible for an NFL size stadium to be accommodated.

I think MLS will happen. The AD has pledged to get creative regarding revenue stream sharing with an MLS franchise. I also think the  Holiday Bowl will return. 

Thay Haif Said: Quhat Say Thay? Lat Thame Say

On 11/16/2022 at 10:37 PM, Old_SD_Dude said:

I spoke with a guy who was a construction foreman at Snapdragon. He’s still working on the utilities on the rest of the site. Expansion of the stadium is theoretically possible, but it would require dismantling and then rebuilding most of the eastern stand. It ain’t gonna happen for a very long time if ever. It was essentially something SDSU had to acknowledge in order to demonstrate that it was theoretically possible for an NFL size stadium to be accommodated.

I think MLS will happen. The AD has pledged to get creative regarding revenue stream sharing with an MLS franchise. I also think the  Holiday Bowl will return. 

He’s correct.  Anything more than 5k will likely take reconstruction of the east stands.  But I think they just expand an additional 5k or so with adding additional premium like the Piers. 

On 11/17/2022 at 9:08 AM, renoskier said:

why is it a "problem"?

they just don't care about football, it's a growing trend

Lol, and thats the problem. But Its not that they dont care, based on viewership people tune in...the issue is around in person attendance. 

On 11/17/2022 at 9:19 AM, Did I hear a WOOSH? said:

Is it just attendance though? How is viewership when they don’t play USC?

About as good as PennState when they play a Maryland...these are from last weekend. But notice how late the UCLA game is?...

image.png.619765fcd247a340fb2573394879cd26.png

On 11/17/2022 at 9:27 AM, Did I hear a WOOSH? said:

There were only 3 10:30 games on national tv that week.  There were 9 nationally televised 3:30 games that week.

Yes, and how many people on the east coast watching a 10:30pm kickoff vs and 3:30pm kickoff? Be real. Also, maybe do a little research on UCLA football, those viewrship numbers are from the a low point for the school which they are clearly out of now. 

UCLA was under .500 from 2016-2020.

image.png.76551d4a7fb08a99f5078b1dd7c0ea68.png

On 11/17/2022 at 12:30 PM, AztecSU said:

Yes, and how many people on the east coast watching a 10:30pm kickoff vs and 3:30pm kickoff? Be real. Also, maybe do a little research on UCLA football, those viewrship numbers are from the a low point for the school which they are clearly out of now. 

UCLA was under .500 from 2016-2020.

image.png.76551d4a7fb08a99f5078b1dd7c0ea68.png

What are you suggesting? That because less people watch west coast football that their aggregate numbers are somehow better than they show? There’s less competition for viewers regardless of whatever zip codes you want to consider.  This is one of the reasons the PAC is struggling to get someone to pay them what they want for their content.  Speaking of the need to be real…the most recent 5 year dataset of viewership is far more objective and useful to determine fan interest than any single season, regardless of what school you pick.  The one possible exception would be if you were comparing a school that was going from a small conference to a big conference that would change the dynamics, like TCU from MWC to PAC.

On 11/17/2022 at 9:46 AM, Did I hear a WOOSH? said:

What are you suggesting? That because less people watch west coast football that their aggregate numbers are somehow better than they show? There’s less competition for viewers regardless of whatever zip codes you want to consider.  This is one of the reasons the PAC is struggling to get someone to pay them what they want for their content.  Speaking of the need to be real…the most recent 5 year dataset of viewership is far more objective and useful to determine fan interest than any single season, regardless of what school you pick.  The one possible exception would be if you were comparing a school that was going from a small conference to a big conference that would change the dynamics, like TCU from MWC to PAC.

That % of available eyes is a factor when you are talking about games so late. The ratings from Sports Media Watch should add the RTG soon so it can be compared to the total. IOW, even though UCLA v UA draw about the same as PennSt v Maryland, chances are the UCLA had a larger % of the available audience given time of day. This is why the PAC gets paid well for games that kickoff at times like 10:30pm that the other power conferences cant/dont.

On 11/17/2022 at 12:54 PM, AztecSU said:

That % of available eyes is a factor when you are talking about games so late. The ratings from Sports Media Watch should add the RTG soon so it can be compared to the total. IOW, even though UCLA v UA draw about the same as PennSt v Maryland, chances are the UCLA had a larger % of the available audience given time of day. This is why the PAC gets paid well for games that kickoff at times like 10:30pm that the other power conferences cant/dont.

So you think the PAC should get paid more per viewer because there’s fewer viewers to pick from?

On 11/17/2022 at 9:57 AM, Did I hear a WOOSH? said:

So you think the PAC should get paid more per viewer because there’s fewer viewers to pick from?

Bad faith after bad faith and just putting words in mouths. You are full blown narcissist. I don't think anything, this is how it is. 

On 11/17/2022 at 1:01 PM, AztecSU said:

Bad faith after bad faith and just putting words in mouths. You are full blown narcissist. I don't think anything, this is how it is. 

Not trying to put words in your mouth, you literally said that due to fewer number of eyes watching that 10:30 spot that the number represents a higher % of available viewers and that the PAC should be paid well for that fact.  Did you not say that? Trying to understand why you think % of available eyeballs is more valuable to media partners than number of eyeballs has nothing to do with narcissism.  In business that just means the product is worth less, not that somehow the product is worth more in a lower demand situation.

On 11/17/2022 at 10:13 AM, Did I hear a WOOSH? said:

Not trying to put words in your mouth, you literally said that due to fewer number of eyes watching that 10:30 spot that the number represents a higher % of available viewers and that the PAC should be paid well for that fact.  Did you not say that? Trying to understand why you think % of available eyeballs is more valuable to media partners than number of eyeballs has nothing to do with narcissism.  In business that just means the product is worth less, not that somehow the product is worth more in a lower demand situation.

I didn't say they should...I said they did, which is true. I'm not making a judgement, its just a simple observation which has been confirmed during the current media right negotiations. But sure you don't put words in others mouths. Keeping building strawmen. 

On 11/17/2022 at 9:54 AM, AztecSU said: