Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

UNLV2001

UNLV at San Diego State

University of Nevada Las Vegas   San Diego State Logo - Link to homepage

UNLV REBELS (4-4/2-2 Mountain West)
at
San Diego State (4-4/2-2 Mountain West)

DATE: Saturday, Nov. 5, 2022
KICKOFF: 4:02 pm PT 
SITE: Snapdragon Stadium (35,000/Grass) San Diego
TV: CBS SN (Chris Lewis, Ross Tucker & Brandon Baylor)
RADIO: ESPN 1100 AM & 100.9 FM (Russ Langer, Caleb Herring & Steve Cofield)
ONLINE: Live Stats at www.unlvrebels.com

UNLV has played SDSU more than any other original MW team (31 times) and the Aztecs lead the series 21-10 ... Three of the last four meetings in this series have been decided by one score

The first game in this series was played on October 22, 1977 a 31-7 win for SDSU

SDSU has a 12 -4 record when playing UNLV at home

SDSU has won three straight in the series with UNLV's last win coming in 2018 in San Diego 

UNLV is tied with two teams for sixth in the country with 12 interceptions this season

UNLV's dozen picks are the most for an entire season since the Rebels finished with 13 in 2015

Fourth-year player Courtney Reese, who came into the Notre Dame game with 299 career rush yards as a Rebel, sprinted to his first 100-yard effort while making his first career start in place of injured Aidan Robbins, finishing with 142 on just 11 carries against the Fighting Irish

The Rebels have been outscored by 56 points in the first quarter this season (96-40) but have scored more points than their opponents in every other quarter (combined 184-142)

UNLV, which totaled 22 sacks last season, has 17 this fall, which ranks seventh in the MW. Those have come from 11 different players

UNLV is 24 of 28 in red zone scoring with 21 TD's & 3 FG's 

UNLV PK Daniel Gutierrez is 3rd on the Rebels career FG list with 43 and needs 5 to ties Sergio Aguayo in 2nd place

Image   Image

On 10/31/2022 at 4:15 PM, utenation said:

Brumfield back should make a difference?

Haven’t watched much SDSU lately but the Mayden kid looks big and fast.  Some good numbers last week outside of the 2 picks. 

Is -9 too high or about right?

If I bet this one, I probably tease SDSU down 6 or 7 & tie it to another game  --- Not sure UNLV is hitting on all cylinders even with Brumfield back 

My Bill Hill App has SDSU -6.5...........so SDSU -0.5 tied to, perhaps your Utes, from -18 to -12 at home over Arizona ...........Aztecs just need to win & Utah just needs two TD's ! 

On 10/31/2022 at 4:15 PM, utenation said:

Haven’t watched much SDSU lately but the Mayden kid looks big and fast.  Some good numbers last week outside of the 2 picks. 

I'm listening to Brady's Monday morning radio interview as I type. Typical coachspeak but at least he dragged out the Steve Fisher line of you can't hang your head and let the same team beat you twice.

The line is down to SDSU -6.5 and I'd probably take that. Mayden will absolutely be more careful about throwing the ball away out of bounds rather than inbounds, word is Brady made it a point to walk our mistake prone true freshman OL Simmons off the field in Fresno while encouraging him to relax, there's next to no chance Jesse Matthews will muff a punt again this Saturday, there's absolutely no chance one of our safeties will slip on artificial turf just outside the end zone preventing him from defending a TD pass, there's no chance our kicker will run out of punt formation and get injured on the tackle so he can't attempt a 48 yard FG which they couldn't trust his backup to try, etc.

Borrowing from Brady, THE question mark is the players' mental outlook after losing a game which a computer somewhere said with about 2:00 left that we had just a 98.2% chance to win.

On 10/31/2022 at 5:15 PM, utenation said:

The Aztecs rarely cover, and when they do the following week they are horrendous  ATS.

But, what do I know.

"We don't have evidence but, we have lot's of theories."

Americans Mayor

Come on Reb fans. This is your week to trash talk a team and be able to back it up. Bring the hate, bring the years of frustration. Let it out.

star wars hate GIF

Americans Mayor

On 10/31/2022 at 6:02 PM, 818SUDSFan said:

I'm listening to Brady's Monday morning radio interview as I type. Typical coachspeak but at least he dragged out the Steve Fisher line of you can't hang your head and let the same team beat you twice.

The line is down to SDSU -6.5 and I'd probably take that. Mayden will absolutely be more careful about throwing the ball away out of bounds rather than inbounds, word is Brady made it a point to walk our mistake prone true freshman OL Simmons off the field in Fresno while encouraging him to relax, there's next to no chance Jesse Matthews will muff a punt again this Saturday, there's absolutely no chance one of our safeties will slip on artificial turf just outside the end zone preventing him from defending a TD pass, there's no chance our kicker will run out of punt formation and get injured on the tackle so he can't attempt a 48 yard FG which they couldn't trust his backup to try, etc.

Borrowing from Brady, THE question mark is the players' mental outlook after losing a game which a computer somewhere said with about 2:00 left that we had just a 98.2% chance to win.

This will define the Gagtecs season right here. Can they put that wtf quater behind them or not ? At times in the last couple games this team has shown what they can be. They just need to do it more often 

That's a team that beat themselves in every facet of the game. Mental mistakes aren't on the kids. Unless the kids got issues, that's on the Coaching Staff.

Every time they lose like this, it's always the same Coach speak, "This one really hurt."

Then improve the play calling and teach these kids how to be more disciplined.

"That's our fault as a Coaching Staff that they weren't better prepared."

No shit Sherlock. The trouble is, this style of undisciplined football has been going on since 2018.  There's a trend here. Either they're recruiting kids who aren't mentally tough or the Coaches aren't developing them.

Either way, it's all on the Coaches 

Americans Mayor

On 11/2/2022 at 4:19 AM, mikexom said:

SDSU will be pretty grumpy after the Fresno collapse

You would think so but I'm not so sure since teams' emotions usually begin at the top.

During Hoke's first two seasons at SDSU, he exuded considerable energy and passion. Thirty games into his second tour of duty, he shows little of either and it's apparent to everyone that had our AD not stepped in, Brady's good buddy would still be our offensive uncoordinator.

At this point, I envision that following the 2023 season, Brady will pull a Rocky and announce his retirement after having moaned and groaned multiple times about being underappreciated by SDSU fans and media.

Last WEAK was all on Brady Choke. Disgusting lack of coaching.

Same guy who kept an inept OC 2.5 years to our detriment. 

We will play down to the level of Lower Nevada- who typically plays us with nothing to gain like it's their biggest game of the year.

We have the players, hope Choke doesn't do this again...

Aztec Sacrifical Alter 2.JPG

I honestly have no idea what we will see from UNLV - Brumfield being back is a positive, but it's the rest of the team that raises questions 

SDSU is no great shakes, but at least they've been somewhat consistent with a decent defense keeping the Aztecs anemic offense within winning margin............and after the last 5 minute bungling at Fresno, I could see SDSU come out more focused and needing to prove something.

UNLV is a dice roll. Can UNLV get back to scoring 24+ as they did in the first 4 games, or has the 20+ point losses in the last 4 games been the real Rebels ?!?!

Think SDSU wins this one just based on the steadier overall performance all season as opposed to UNLV's wild ups & downs -- Think UNLV will need to get their offense hitting on all cylinders to win this and not sure UNLV is at that point with Brumfield coming off a 4 week absence 

On 11/2/2022 at 1:33 PM, Rev McQuervo said:

Last WEAK was all on Brady Choke. Disgusting lack of coaching.

Same guy who kept an inept OC 2.5 years to our detriment. 

We will play down to the level of Lower Nevada- who typically plays us with nothing to gain like it's their biggest game of the year.

We have the players, hope Choke doesn't do this again...

Aztec Sacrifical Alter 2.JPG

Example(s)?

On 11/2/2022 at 2:50 PM, UNLV2001 said:

I honestly have no idea what we will see from UNLV - Brumfield being back is a positive, but it's the rest of the team that raises questions 

SDSU is no great shakes, but at least they've been somewhat consistent with a decent defense keeping the Aztecs anemic offense within winning margin............and after the last 5 minute bungling at Fresno, I could see SDSU come out more focused and needing to prove something.

UNLV is a dice roll. Can UNLV get back to scoring 24+ as they did in the first 4 games, or has the 20+ point losses in the last 4 games been the real Rebels ?!?!

Think SDSU wins this one just based on the steadier overall performance all season as opposed to UNLV's wild ups & downs -- Think UNLV will need to get their offense hitting on all cylinders to win this and not sure UNLV is at that point with Brumfield coming off a 4 week absence 

You're being generous, we give up 5.5 yds per play, our opponents have a nearly 42% success rate on 3rd downs, and we have only 14 sacks in 8 games. 

On 11/2/2022 at 2:50 PM, UNLV2001 said:

Very true on the whole of the season, but we are showing some life since the change at OC and QB. Since the changes, we are averaging 394 ypg offensively. However this has only translated to about 20 ppg. We definitely need to clean some things up in our red zone attack, like eliminating false starts! 

On 11/3/2022 at 10:07 AM, dshawfan said:

Example(s)?

God Love you Coach!

Here comes, just the facts:

1) Same guy who kept an inept OC 2.5 years to our detriment.

2) Onside kick - kids looked like Statues going into the Dumpster

3) Clock "Management?" 

4) Cover 4 against that QB? Pffffffffffffffff