RogueStout

What are you watching?

On 11/3/2022 at 10:36 AM, smltwnrckr said:

Reservation Dogs (streaming on Hulu by way of FX) is the best thing I've seen on screen in a while. Not even close. Season 2 was posted earlier this year. 

Everyone should see it. Important television usually isn't this easy to watch. 

It has some solid positive critical reviews -- I'm mostly through S1.  I relate to it from the kids' angle.  Different place and subculture, but those teens and young folks remind me of many kids I worked with including some from the rez. There seems to be a new Native American film, literature and arts movement?

• Like 2

On 11/3/2022 at 10:06 AM, grandjean87 said:

It has some solid positive critical reviews -- I'm mostly through S1.  I relate to it from the kids' angle.  Different place and subculture, but those teens and young folks remind me of many kids I worked with including some from the rez. There seems to be a new Native American film, literature and arts movement?

S2 is quite good and really gets into more of the individual characters and the back story of some of the adults.

Also, the girl who plays Willie Jack (the tom boy of the group) Paulina Alexis is lights out. Shockingly good. Crazy that most of the kids had never been on TV before. Kind of annihilates any arguments against pushing for more and better representation on TV, IMO.

• Like 1

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

On 11/3/2022 at 10:02 AM, AztecSU said:

I started this and got a few episodes in and lost track of it but this is a great show from what I saw. It's funnier and smarter than I think most will expect. 

I love it because it's just straight up funny, and super smart. But also some of the most touching and emotionally intense stuff I've seen on TV. The way they are able to move from one to the other and have it all make sense and fit is what is so unique about it, IMO.

In season two (and I think in the end of season 1) there's a rival between the Wes Studi and Gary Farmer characters over who has better medicine or whatever, basically two of the most famous native American actors trying on screen to absurdly out-Indian each other in a show about modern indigenous teenagers. Pretty smart stuff, and hilarious. 

• Like 2

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

On 11/3/2022 at 10:36 AM, smltwnrckr said:

Reservation Dogs (streaming on Hulu by way of FX) is the best thing I've seen on screen in a while. Not even close. Season 2 was posted earlier this year. 

Everyone should see it. Important television usually isn't this easy to watch. 

It really is. Thanks for bringing it up. I didn't think about it because I had just finished it. Everyone should watch it. As you said if feels like important television but it is also just such a joy. In season 1 when you are just getting to know some characters and they start focusing on individual ones I kept think"This is the best character", then the next episode would focus on another character and I would think the same. Its amazing how they brought so much depth to so many characters in relatively little amount of screen time.

On 11/3/2022 at 11:00 AM, smltwnrckr said:

For those who want a taste before committing.

THose are great clips. The spirit warrior is so funny. Bill Burr killed it in his one episode(like he ussually does).

On 11/3/2022 at 11:06 AM, grandjean87 said:

There seems to be a new Native American film, literature and arts movement?

I'm sure you know but others that are curious may not. THis is produced by Taiki Watititi. Who is using his stature to find indigenous filmmakers and help them get their stories told. Very cool of him and hope we continue to see more of these things. Season 3 was confirmed of this show and that makes me very happy.

So watch this show you ShitAsses(my new favorite curse/greeting/term of endearment)

• Like 2

On 11/3/2022 at 10:17 AM, smltwnrckr said:

I love it because it's just straight up funny, and super smart. But also some of the most touching and emotionally intense stuff I've seen on TV. The way they are able to move from one to the other and have it all make sense and fit is what is so unique about it, IMO.

In season two (and I think in the end of season 1) there's a rival between the Wes Studi and Gary Farmer characters over who has better medicine or whatever, basically two of the most famous native American actors trying on screen to absurdly out-Indian each other in a show about modern indigenous teenagers. Pretty smart stuff, and hilarious. 

Lmao. Officer Big had me on the floor in the first few episodes that I saw. And yes, the coming of age/community aspect of this series is real and touching.

On 11/3/2022 at 10:30 AM, AztecSU said:

Lmao. Officer Big had me on the floor in the first few episodes that I saw. And yes, the coming of age/community aspect of this series is real and touching.

Officer Big has his own arc in season two that is really weird but funny. He and Kenny Boy have an... adventure.

• Cheers 1

On 10/28/2022 at 3:00 PM, tspoke said:

Has no one watched Andor? It's the best thing star wars has done in a loooong time. I'm several episodes behind but it's fantastic. 

For some reason last night I started thinking that maybe, just maybe the head of the ISB (the bald guy) might be a rebel.

I got Top Gun: Maverick on 4k the Steel book set and it's perhaps the best 4k experience ever. The IMAX scenes are fantastic and the jet engines got my house to shake.

image.png.4320114997cbb4b62f6dad742846c218.png

• Like 4

0918_FootballVBoise(Weir)6081.jpg.91934a8a511e3532b39599f1988bbacb.jpg

There was a conversation on another thread about Australians that reminded me about "Mr. Inbetween" great show on Hulu. About a gangster/hitman/dude just trying to make it in Australia.  Has some fun episodes and other pretty heavy... The final shot of the show and his smile is amazing. 

On 10/28/2022 at 5:42 PM, RogueStout said:

Anyone watch White Lotus? Stoked for season 2 to come out next week. 

Yep.  Season 2 epi 1 is now available.  Jennifer Coolidge is super fine. 

Along the way I am waiting for The Morning Show to reboot. 

I recommend the following limited series, bidness based but not quite like uber great onging Succession...

...We Crashed

,,,the Dropout

Them two are binge worthy, limited series and all. 

Murders in the Building is a funsy.  For wicked weird captivating, the Servant.  And some others.

Abbot Elementary is really good fun. 

150px-Coat_of_arms_of_the_University_of_Houston_System.png

On 12/4/2022 at 11:21 PM, Los_Aztecas said:

Watched the first couple of episodes of Wednesday on Netflix. It's really good so far.

We're watching Wednesday as well. Fun, and the girls can watch it with us which is nice. 

• Like 2

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

On 12/5/2022 at 9:13 AM, happycamper said:

We're watching Wednesday as well. Fun, and the girls can watch it with us which is nice. 

That was a lot of fun.

Currently watching Dark Winds on AMC+. Fantastic.

People, not a fan.

I just finished streaming the 7th season of SHETLAND (BBC Scottish crime drama) on BritBox. This is an awesome show! 👍

Shetland (TV Series 2013– ) - IMDb

• Like 1

Watching wrestling right now.

Don't judge....

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

Kirstie Alley died today from cancer at age 71. I really liked her character (Rebecca Howe) on Cheers!, so I'm going to watch a couple of re-runs on Catchy Comedy channel tonight at 8:00 (PT) in her honor. May she rest in peace. 🕊️

Actress Kirstie Alley dead at 71 after short cancer battle - NZ Herald

• Like 2

Yellowstone. Started binging the previous four seasons around Thanksgiving. Caught up to the current episode now.

On 12/5/2022 at 8:00 PM, DoubleBlueGold said:

Yellowstone. Started binging the previous four seasons around Thanksgiving. Caught up to the current episode now.

I need to get back into Yellowstone. I haven't had time to watch the new season. I'm interested to see 1923 with Harrison Ford.

0918_FootballVBoise(Weir)6081.jpg.91934a8a511e3532b39599f1988bbacb.jpg