Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

halfmanhalfbronco

Things you are supposed to like but just don't. A thread.

Don't like Trumpism despite the fact that 40% of America insists it's good for me.

"We don't have evidence but, we have lot's of theories."

Americans Mayor

On 10/14/2022 at 8:35 AM, Spaztecs said:

Not a fan either. 

I was fortunate in my family that at gatherings there is no gift giving. In their world it was about the gathering not going broke trying to buy presents for everyone.

Unfortunately, the women I have loved and their families are all in on the big shindig.

Christmas in my family is big not only because if the Irish Catholic roots, but my grandmother was born on Christmas Day, my cousin on Christmas Eve, and my uncle on New Year's Eve.

So, yeah. But it is more about the family gathering/catching up than gifts. But gifts are still exchanged.

Kids in movies. We get it. The protagonists home life is adding stress that hinders their ability to do the job/solve the mystery/find JFK’s real assassins. But do we really need 15 minutes of bs family drama by these terrible little actors when we all know in that in the end it gets wrapped up in a little bow.

If the kids are great actors instrumental to the plot, Haley Jo Osment in Sixth Sense, the girl in True Grit; great. If it works for the plot like in Apollo 13 or Jurassic Park, good. But enough with this taped on family drama baloney. 

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

On 11/7/2022 at 1:52 AM, thelawlorfaithful said:

Kids in movies. We get it. The protagonists home life is adding stress that hinders their ability to do the job/solve the mystery/find JFK’s real assassins. But do we really need 15 minutes of bs family drama by these terrible little actors when we all know in that in the end it gets wrapped up in a little bow.

If the kids are great actors instrumental to the plot, Haley Jo Osment in Sixth Sense, the girl in True Grit; great. If it works for the plot like in Apollo 13 or Jurassic Park, good. But enough with this taped on family drama baloney. 

wasn't that the girl in hawkeye? great actress. 

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

Also, white wine. I just don't get it. not a big wine guy to begin with but I enjoy a nice robust malbec or zin. but... why drink a white wine? like ever?

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

On 11/7/2022 at 5:42 AM, happycamper said:

Also, white wine. I just don't get it. not a big wine guy to begin with but I enjoy a nice robust malbec or zin. but... why drink a white wine? like ever?

*Sigh

@Stealthlobo can you please set this poor guy straight?

On 11/7/2022 at 5:42 AM, happycamper said:

wasn't that the girl in hawkeye? great actress. 

I haven’t seen any of her other work but that’s the one. Apparently she’s had a good career since. The Coens, Jeff Bridges, Matt Damon, Barry Pepper etc…were having as much fun as they could and yet that Steinfeld girl went toe to toe with them in every scene. She carried the movie.

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

On 11/7/2022 at 6:57 AM, thelawlorfaithful said:

I haven’t seen any of her other work but that’s the one. Apparently she’s had a good career since. The Coens, Jeff Bridges, Matt Damon, Barry Pepper etc…were having as much fun as they could and yet that Steinfeld girl went toe to toe with them in every scene. She carried the movie.

It’s interesting that I at least like, and generally love, the Coens’ work, but this movie was such a slog for me. Bridges’ accent was practically impenetrable, and I have an ear for that kind of thing. I eventually turned off the movie after an hour or so and will probably never get around to finishing it. Anyway, agree about Seinfeld. She was the best thing in that film and is a fine actor. 

On 11/7/2022 at 8:02 AM, Posturedoc said:

It’s interesting that I at least like, and generally love, the Coens’ work, but this movie was such a slog for me. Bridges’ accent was practically impenetrable, and I have an ear for that kind of thing. I eventually turned off the movie after an hour or so and will probably never get around to finishing it. Anyway, agree about Seinfeld. She was the best thing in that film and is a fine actor. 

Really? I thought it was their most breezy, popcorn style movie.

On 11/7/2022 at 8:10 AM, thelawlorfaithful said:

Really? I thought it was their most breezy, popcorn style movie.

Well, a lot of your posts are impenetrable references that I feel I should understand but don’t, so maybe you just have an affinity for that sort of shit. Breezy for you is apparently a hurricane for me. 

On 11/7/2022 at 8:33 AM, Posturedoc said:

Well, a lot of your posts are impenetrable references that I feel I should understand but don’t, so maybe you just have an affinity for that sort of shit. Breezy for you is apparently a hurricane for me. 

Breezy as opposed to No Country or Fargo and the like. The main characters are sincere instead of half satirical. The good guys are good even if they can occasionally be idiots. The bad guys are bad. The heroes succeed after making great sacrifices. By the end there’s no “what did we learn” or “all for money (shakes head)”. I guess straightforward is a better term than breezy.

On 11/7/2022 at 8:58 AM, thelawlorfaithful said:

Breezy as opposed to No Country or Fargo and the like. The main characters are sincere instead of half satirical. The good guys are good even if they can occasionally be idiots. The bad guys are bad. The heroes succeed after making great sacrifices. By the end there’s no “what did we learn” or “all for money (shakes head)”. I guess straightforward is a better term than breezy.

Just like this^^^ post! The Coens could take a lesson from you. OTOH, I love Fargo and No Country. Yaaaargh! What does it all mean?!

On 11/7/2022 at 12:05 PM, Posturedoc said:

Just like this^^^ post! The Coens could take a lesson from you. OTOH, I love Fargo and No Country. Yaaaargh! What does it all mean?!

you hate oklahoma

On 11/7/2022 at 7:40 AM, Posturedoc said:

*Sigh

@Stealthlobo can you please set this poor guy straight?

Lol, when I saw the post this am, I almost cc'd you in the post!

I've realized it's more of a to each their own. IMHO he's missing out on some amazing tastes and pairings (Marlborough Sauvy-B is still my favorite wine variation, but maybe he just doesn't have the palate genetically to enjoy it? :shrug:

On 11/7/2022 at 9:20 AM, Stealthlobo said:

Lol, when I saw the post this am, I almost cc you in the post!

I've realized it's more of a to each their own. IMHO he's missing out on some amazing tastes and pairings (Marlborough Sauvy-B is still my favorite wine variation, but maybe he just doesn't have the palate genetically to enjoy it? :shrug:

So you’re saying happy has inferior DNA? I’ve long suspected this to be true. @happycamperwhat say you?

On 11/7/2022 at 12:20 PM, Stealthlobo said:

Lol, when I saw the post this am, I almost cc'd you in the post!

my in laws love marlborough sauvignons. oyster bay, kim crawford. 

id rather drink water.

On 11/7/2022 at 10:24 AM, happycamper said:

my in laws love marlborough sauvignons. oyster bay, kim crawford. 

id rather drink water.

Kim Crawford is mass produced shit to be honest. Cloudy bay and Nautilus are my go-tos these days.

But again, to each their own.