Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

bornontheblue

Speed Limiting Technology - New Cars

If this technology goes in to new cars limiting speed I will never buy a new car again. I will just keep my current car running as long as possible. 

https://www.cnn.com/videos/business/2022/10/10/car-speed-system-drunk-driving-ntsb-tech-newday-muntean-pkg-contd-vpx.cnn

Self driving cars would be the same, I'd imagine.

At the very least, transportation departments should reconsider speed limits being what 85 percent of drivers actually do, and what is actually safe, instead of an arbitrary number just because.

On 10/10/2022 at 2:25 PM, bornontheblue said:

If this technology goes in to new cars limiting speed I will never buy a new car again. I will just keep my current car running as long as possible. 

https://www.cnn.com/videos/business/2022/10/10/car-speed-system-drunk-driving-ntsb-tech-newday-muntean-pkg-contd-vpx.cnn

I'm hoping self-driving cars eliminate the need for this and enable even faster than currently safe speeds.  

Roughly 40,000 people die in automotive accidents every year in the USA.  Nearly 6000 of those are motorcycle riders even though they make up only 3% of vehicles on the road.

If the technology to use facial identification patterns to determine whether a driver is too drunk or too tired to drive, should it be mandated?  I think that would have a greater effect than a speed limiting device. 

I'm for limiting speeds on the road.

I lived in Germany for three years. When they have accidents on the autobahn, they don't send ambulances to the scene. They send people with paint scrapers to remove your flesh and bones from the asphalt.

"We don't have evidence but, we have lot's of theories."

Americans Mayor

On 10/10/2022 at 5:25 PM, bornontheblue said:

I'm certain they'll always do things like recognize that you're legally allowed to go 10 over to pass in Wyoming and whatnot

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

On 10/11/2022 at 12:11 PM, Maji said:

would save lives

It would save lives if everybody went to a plant based , non processed food diet. 

Should the government make this diet mandatory under the threat of criminal charges? 

Is the government going to make sure we all take our vitamins under the threat of criminal charges. 

This is dumb. If you want to drive slow and safe feel free to do so, preferably out of the left lane on the freeway.  

On 10/11/2022 at 12:08 PM, happycamper said:

I'm certain they'll always do things like recognize that you're legally allowed to go 10 over to pass in Wyoming and whatnot

I will just never buy a car with that technology. I'll keep the car I have going for many years to avoid it, if this ever happens.

Or I will buy a new car right before the technology is forced, and then run it forever. 

Enjoy a solid block of cars clogging up the freeway because they are all going 65 and nobody can pass. 

On 10/11/2022 at 3:01 PM, bornontheblue said:

I will just never buy a car with that technology. I'll keep the car I have going for many years to avoid it, if this ever happens.

Or I will buy a new car right before the technology is forced, and then run it forever. 

Enjoy a solid block of cars clogging up the freeway because they are all going 65 and nobody can pass. 

I don't have to imagine it. I lived in Washington. 

IT SUCKS

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

On 10/11/2022 at 3:05 PM, bornontheblue said:

What do they do in WA? 

Camera everywhere to enforce speed limits

drive at 1 over to 5 under in the left lane, as a line, with people zipping over to the right lane to pass.

they do it in oregon too.

they also love going 5 under when you can't pass and speeding up to 10 over when you get the dashed stripe and no cars are coming

god help me if I know why. 

On 10/11/2022 at 12:08 PM, happycamper said:

they also love going 5 under when you can't pass and speeding up to 10 over when you get the dashed stripe and no cars are coming

god help me if I know why. 

Everytime I'm stuck behind some rental RV on a small 2-lane highway who magically speeds up and stays on the left whenever there's a passing lane, I contemplate becoming a highway serial killer. US-93 through Nevada especially.