Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Green Infection

CSU-@-unr: FB  I Fri-8/6 /// unr-@-CSU: VB I Thurs-8/5

On 9/28/2022 at 7:15 PM, Half-Man is All-Tyrant said:

I missed where I asked:  ¿What did HC MJN-III accomplish in Reno?

I asked a fairly specific question about very specific comments by Mr Wilson. The question I posted above was:

¿Are these legitimate gripes -or- is this an opportunistic disingenuous 1st Yr HC trying to increase his standing w/Wolf Pack booster and fire up his pgm, by ignoring the new landscape that is modern college fb?

"What, exactly, did he accomplish in Reno? His record as a head coach is just about .500," <---I  Who's fault is that? If y'all pd him the going rate & provide average MWC facilities that percentage would be much hire.  Factor out at least the first two-yrs while he was righting the ship & his winning percentage in his last-three-yrs was:  .705

How is winning nearly 3-out-of-every-4 games considered not "accomplish(ing much) in Reno?"

"...didn't win any big games (unless you count bad Purdue and Cal teams or Boise last year), was 3-2 against an awful UNLV team, never won a MWC title....or division title"

A winning record vs your in-state rival:  Nevada Southern Land Grant College

You expect a conf championship after 5-yrs???

2021 - Boise*, Cal & UNLV

2020 - CSU-Diego, Fresno, UNLV

2019 - Purdue, CSU-Jose, Diego^ & Fresno

2018 - Oregon St, USAFA, CSU-Diego & Jose

*CSU has never beat Boise CC.  We'd be ecstatic to beat The Juco

^ SDSU was West Div Co-Champs

Nevada paid him lower than the going rate, but he was also an unproven head coach who had been trying to get a HC job for years before Nevada hired him.   <---I  This is true for his last 3-yrs, however y'all pd him fairly for his 1st two-yrs.  ¿How long does Coach owe y'all for giving him his first shot at being a HC?

He certainly hasn't proven to be worth being paid more than every other coach in the MWC. <---I  NOT TRUE.  ¿How can you say that?  He's worth what someone will pay him.

Personally, I'm not sad to see him go and take the Air Raid with him, though I'm not a fan of how he left. Him leaving was also a wake up call to Nevada AD and boosters to pay a competitive salary.  <---I  I agree 100% 

The average MWC HC salary in 2022 is $1.1M and Wilson is making $950K, so we're right in line with where we should be now.  <---I  I agree 100% 

I missed where anybody asked your thoughts on any of it in the first place. If you don't want to hear other's thoughts on shit, don't visit a message board. 

On 9/28/2022 at 6:01 PM, NVGiant said:

Norvell was not the greatest coach in the world, but some perspective is needed here. 33-26 is not "just about .500." It's one of the best win percentages among all Nevada coaches. And Norvell won at a particularly good rate (.638) after his first (3-9) season ... a rate that only Chris Ault has ever come close to achieving in more than a century of Nevada football. Winning two games against power conference schools, even weak ones, and beating Boise — while hardly a great Boise team — is still something that most coaches not named Ault haven't done much here, either. 

He had warts. He left under less-than-desirable circumstances. And he should have done more with his last team. But he was mostly a positive at Nevada. 

What I said was "His record as a head coach is just about .500". He's currently 33-30, which is .520. I see no reason to toss out his first year to get to a .638 winning percentage....Tisdel had a .590 winning percentage as a head coach if we toss out his 3-8 season. 

Norvell wasn't a great game day coach, but he recruited enough talent to win games at an above-average pace for four years. Look at the talent had. Carson Strong, Doubs, Turner all made it to the NFL, Frost, Dom Peterson, Daiyan Henly, Elijah Cooks, may end up there as well....possibly others that transferred out. For a coach to have so much talent and not even win the west division is pretty telling IMO.

I agree that his time at Nevada was mostly a positive, but to leave out how he set fire to the place on the way out would be leaving out a big chunk of his legacy as well. He thought he deserved more money than he was making and he was probably right, but I'd be interested to hear if he thinks he deserves more money than coaches who have won MWC titles. 

On 9/28/2022 at 8:18 PM, Half-Man is All-Tyrant said:

Glad to see you're keeping it classy.

Seems you made a fitting choice of where to live.  The RedNeck Riviera appears to suit you well.

The irony of making a comment about keeping comments classy and then throwing out a red neck comment yourself is beyond ironic. Not to mention that he clearly lives in Destin, Florida. Where do you, as a Baylor fan, live? Waco? And why is a Baylor fan commenting on class in the first place? 

On 9/28/2022 at 7:08 PM, Slapdad said:

The irony of making a comment about keeping comments classy and then throwing out a red neck comment yourself is beyond ironic. Not to mention that he clearly lives in Destin, Florida. Where do you, as a Baylor fan, live? Waco? And why is a Baylor fan commenting on class in the first place? 

He’s a CSU fan. Used to go by GoState8675309. Must have lost his handle in some dust up with a mod.

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

On 9/28/2022 at 9:56 PM, thelawlorfaithful said:

He’s a CSU fan. Used to go by GoState8675309. Must have lost his handle in some dust up with a mod.

I knew he was a CSU fan on some level, but to claim Baylor as a ruse…..despicable! Probably lives in stinky Greeley!

On 9/28/2022 at 7:03 PM, Slapdad said:

What I said was "His record as a head coach is just about .500". He's currently 33-30, which is .520. I see no reason to toss out his first year to get to a .638 winning percentage....Tisdel had a .590 winning percentage as a head coach if we toss out his 3-8 season. 

Norvell wasn't a great game day coach, but he recruited enough talent to win games at an above-average pace for four years. Look at the talent had. Carson Strong, Doubs, Turner all made it to the NFL, Frost, Dom Peterson, Daiyan Henly, Elijah Cooks, may end up there as well....possibly others that transferred out. For a coach to have so much talent and not even win the west division is pretty telling IMO.

I agree that his time at Nevada was mostly a positive, but to leave out how he set fire to the place on the way out would be leaving out a big chunk of his legacy as well. He thought he deserved more money than he was making and he was probably right, but I'd be interested to hear if he thinks he deserves more money than coaches who have won MWC titles. 

I didn’t throw it out, but a little leeway should be given for any coach’s first year. Should be factored in. Especially when left a flailing program, as Norvell was. Tisdel, on the other hand, was handed a smooth running vehicle and then ran it into a ditch. Apples to oranges.

that said, Norvell didn’t go out well. His team underperformed his last year and then he left a mess on his way out. I don’t take that lightly. On the other hand he was right in many of his criticisms, and the AD that was at the root of many of his complaints was thrown out on his ass just a few months later. So clearly Sandoval thought he had a point, too.

I wish he didn’t do so much damage on his way out, and I want to kick his ass on the field next week, to be sure. Before his inglorious exit, though, I have few complaints about his tenure. Even if his game day coaching left a little to be desired.

On 9/28/2022 at 6:13 PM, Half-Man is All-Tyrant said:

You’re right, it would be pretty weird for Wilson not to comment about it, so he did and it’s out of the way now.  <---I except for the fact that he totally lied about how things are handled when coached leave on the MWC level & he totally ignored the context of the new transfer rules & the very rare occurrence of a somewhat later move w/in a conference.  

AGAIN:  ¿Are these legitimate gripes -or- is this an opportunistic disingenuous 1st Yr HC trying to increase his standing w/Wolf Pack booster and fire up his pgm, by ignoring the new landscape that is modern college fb?

Perhaps coaches leaving before the bowl game is the norm, but I respect Wilson for sticking with Oregon for their bowl game even if it may have hurt our recruiting/player retention.

Just because something is a norm or whatever you’re claiming (has any other school ever started five offensive players from another school?) doesn’t make it right. Wilson didn’t say anything wrong or disingenuous. Of course he should be increasing his standing with Nevada boosters, sorry if that hurts your feelings.

Norvell constantly complained about transfers and turned out to be a complete hypocrite. 

On 9/28/2022 at 5:05 PM, bigd said:

I love how Norvell tries to play down the situation by saying that less than half of his team attended Nevada last year...

5 of the offense starters on each team were in Reno last season. That isn't exactly normal...

https://nevadasportsnet.com/news/reporters/legendary-wolf-pack-coach-chris-ault-dubs-jay-norvells-return-to-reno-green-infection#

Ault called it the Green Infection, I like it.

That’s hilarious the way Norvell says it. Not quite half the team is related to Nevada, but if it were half, then yeah you might have a point. LOL. 

kat.jpg

On 9/29/2022 at 12:05 AM, Nevada Convert said:

Ironical, isn't it? Some of what he says applies to coaches, including himself, as well. 

On 9/28/2022 at 6:13 PM, Half-Man is All-Tyrant said:

You’re right, it would be pretty weird for Wilson not to comment about it, so he did and it’s out of the way now.  <---I except for the fact that he totally lied about how things are handled when coached leave on the MWC level & he totally ignored the context of the new transfer rules & the very rare occurrence of a somewhat later move w/in a conference.  

He said it on his terms <---I Unfortunately his terms include be dishonest & completely ignored the context of the new landscape of college football.

not feeling pressured to weigh in as the game got closer. Now the focus can be on game prep.

Thx for totally ignoring the question I my OP:

AGAIN:  ¿Are these legitimate gripes -or- is this an opportunistic disingenuous 1st Yr HC trying to increase his standing w/Wolf Pack booster and fire up his pgm, by ignoring the new landscape that is modern college fb?

On 9/28/2022 at 8:45 PM, bigd said:

Perhaps coaches leaving before the bowl game is the norm, but I respect Wilson for sticking with Oregon for their bowl game even if it may have hurt our recruiting/player retention.

Just because something is a norm or whatever you’re claiming (has any other school ever started five offensive players from another school?) doesn’t make it right. Wilson didn’t say anything wrong or disingenuous. Of course he should be increasing his standing with Nevada boosters, sorry if that hurts your feelings.

Norvell constantly complained about transfers and turned out to be a complete hypocrite. 

Perhaps coaches leaving before the bowl game is the norm,  <---I  Pls read my earlier posts more closely including the OP & another posted above & highlighted in RED.  I said "except for the fact that he totally lied about how things are handled when coaches leave on the MWC level..."

but I respect Wilson for sticking with Oregon for their bowl game even if it may have hurt our recruiting/player retention.  <---I Apples/Oranges:  The norm upper P-5 is to stay for the Bowl Game.  For most G-5 it's the norm to bail early, because most often their headed to a P-5.  Kudos to Mr Wilson for following the norm.

Just because something is a norm or whatever you’re claiming (has any other school ever started five offensive players from another school?) <---I What are you making reference to?  We had 2-frmr UNR O-Linemen starting for us before the injuries hit.

...doesn’t make it right. Wilson didn’t say anything wrong or disingenuous. <---I ¿No he totally ignore the context of the NEW coaching landscape, the recent rule changes & the fact that horizontal coaching moves are rarely made.   How is selective ignoring reality not opportunistic & disingenuous?

Of course he should be increasing his standing with Nevada boosters, sorry if that hurts your feelings.  <---I Of course he should be increasing his standing w/UNR boosters.  It the opportunistic & disingenuous nature he used to do that.  It was cheap & wrong.  This has nothing to do with hurting my feelings.

Norvell constantly complained about transfers <---I I'm not familiar with that.  Do you mind sighting some examples.  HC MJN-III  was "constantly" do it, it shouldn't be difficult...

and turned out to be a complete hypocrite. 

On 9/28/2022 at 7:08 PM, Slapdad said:

On 9/28/2022 at 7:56 PM, thelawlorfaithful said:

On 9/28/2022 at 8:23 PM, Slapdad said:

I knew he was a CSU fan on some level, but to claim Baylor as a ruse…..despicable! Probably lives in stinky Greeley!

On 9/28/2022 at 11:12 PM, GoState99755 said:

@Slapdad & @thelawlorfaithful - TESTING, 1...2...3

99C59230-57D2-48EF-9BB0-03052FE1DA0F.jpeg

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Don't blame me for the Red Neck Riviera.  That's on The NY Times & Kenny Stabler.  Pls see image above.

#1 - I'm not a Baylor fan.  It's an ironic reference to my distain for Ken Star, the Rape Culture that was fostered & protected there, as well as the crazy, corrupt 'n' murderous pgm Dave Bliss at Baylor.

#2 - Switched from GoState99755 shortly after I left Alaska (99755 - Denali Nat'l Prk & 99501 - Downtown, Anchorage) after 16-yrs, and moved back to SoCal.  I currently split my time between 90277 (Redondo Bch where I grew-up) & 91505 (Toluca Lk/Burbank - I can see the Main Lot at Warner Bros from my 2nd story window).  YES, there was "some dust up w/a mod" & NO, nothing was "lost."  I chose the Half-Man is All-Tyrant screen name completely on my own, after a totally bogus & over zealous suspension by  @halfmanhalfbronco.

#3 - IIRC...¿Didn't you & I ( @Slapdad) have a pretty nice conversation about my former career in the Music Industry backin 2017/'18-ish?

13AA09B9-E879-42F7-A6AC-56B8C444F8B5.jpeg

ADEC6CF3-FD85-4516-A659-FB29C3CC3329.jpeg

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

¿You'd have not way of knowing.  However ¿didn't I welcome you warmly to the RamNation Board earlier this wk?  My screen name there is GO STATE.  I'll try to post a screenshot her of that encounter.

#4 - I've never lived in Gre-ality, NoColo.  However, I dated (using that term very loosely) a women there back-in-the-day.

On 9/28/2022 at 10:05 PM, Nevada Convert said:

On 9/28/2022 at 10:34 PM, Slapdad said:

Ironical, isn't it? Some of what he says applies to coaches, including himself, as well. 

What's ironic about the video clip?  He said coaches won't like it, it's a double edge & it will be a learning curve going frwd.  What am I missing?

What did you want him to do, boycott it at a because he didn't like it when it was first rolled out, thus putting UNR & CSU at a marked disadvantage?

It's a fact of life now & every school has to deal w/it.  I don't see what ironic about stating your feeling on a new rule.  Then going ahead, moving frwd & dealing w/that rule.

On 9/29/2022 at 2:07 AM, Half-Man is All-Tyrant said:

What's ironic about the video clip?  He said coaches won't like it, it's a double edge & it will be a learning curve going frwd.  What am I missing?

What did you want him to do, boycott it at a because he didn't like it when it was first rolled out, thus putting UNR & CSU at a marked disadvantage?

It's a fact of life now & every school has to deal w/it.  I don't see what ironic about stating your feeling on a new rule.  Then going ahead, moving frwd & dealing w/that rule.

“What are telling them? ‘It’s okay, whenever things don’t work out for you, to just switch schools or to leave your situation?” It’s a bad message to send to our young athletes, in my opinion.” - Jay Norvell

If you don't see the irony in that, then you're not reading it.