Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Coog kev

The G5 Rep in the Cotton Bowl

On 10/2/2022 at 12:44 AM, thespywhozaggedme said:

Here’s the thing; the AAC is going to beat each other up. Best case scenario for an MWC team (and obviously I want my Broncos to run the table), would be for James Madison to win the Sun Belt and the AAC winner to have two or three losses.

Aac will beat each other up, yes, but that doesn’t bode well for the MWC or funbelt either because there is legitimate depth in the aac this year.  No chance for the ny6 bowl outside of the aac unless you go undefeated.  And it was already  discussed earlier but JMU isn’t eligible so it doesn’t matter what they do this season.  What hurts the g5 right now is that there’s quality in the aac that isn’t going to the big 12.  

On 10/2/2022 at 12:42 AM, thespywhozaggedme said:

Look three posts above yours. Beat you to it.

My post was directly after they barely won their game.  Coastal was mentioned early in the thread already.  Just mentioning they were still in it…technically.  

On 10/2/2022 at 5:39 PM, Did I hear a WOOSH? said:

Aac will beat each other up, yes, but that doesn’t bode well for the MWC or funbelt either because there is legitimate depth in the aac this year.  No chance for the ny6 bowl outside of the aac unless you go undefeated.  And it was already  discussed earlier but JMU isn’t eligible so it doesn’t matter what they do this season.  What hurts the g5 right now is that there’s quality in the aac that isn’t going to the big 12.  

My post was directly after they barely won their game.  Coastal was mentioned early in the thread already.  Just mentioning they were still in it…technically.  

You’re forgetting something; if the top AAC teams have three or four losses, none of them will be ranked. The NY six game goes to the highest ranked G5 conference winner. James Madison is already getting some votes in the polls and if the unthinkable happens and they win the conference, they are ineligible.

On 10/2/2022 at 9:46 PM, thespywhozaggedme said:

You’re forgetting something; if the top AAC teams have three or four losses, none of them will be ranked. The NY six game goes to the highest ranked G5 conference winner. James Madison is already getting some votes in the polls and if the unthinkable happens and they win the conference, they are ineligible.

JMU is not eligible this year, for the third time, so mentioning them at all is moot.  Any conference champion with 3-4 losses is unlikely.  This is especially true in the aac with so many teams having good years.  This isn’t an argument of mediocrity, like the MAC, where the champ almost has to have a few losses.  There are likely multiple top 25 finishing teams coming out of the aac this year.

On 10/2/2022 at 8:05 PM, Did I hear a WOOSH? said:

JMU is not eligible this year, for the third time, so mentioning them at all is moot.  Any conference champion with 3-4 losses is unlikely.  This is especially true in the aac with so many teams having good years.  This isn’t an argument of mediocrity, like the MAC, where the champ almost has to have a few losses.  There are likely multiple top 25 finishing teams coming out of the aac this year.

I think the point of him mentioning JMU is that if they win the Sun Belt, then the SBC is eliminated from contention for the NY6 since JMU is ineligible. JMU winning the SBC is good for the MW (and AAC) champ's chances at the NY6.

On 10/3/2022 at 10:44 AM, Pelado said:

I think the point of him mentioning JMU is that if they win the Sun Belt, then the SBC is eliminated from contention for the NY6 since JMU is ineligible. JMU winning the SBC is good for the MW (and AAC) champ's chances at the NY6.

I don’t think JMU’s ineligibility will have an effect but that’s certainly a wrinkle that could benefit the MWC or whoever.  We’ll see I guess, these things usually work themselves out.  

JMU isnt eligible for the Sun Belt championship.

https://jmusports.com/news/2022/2/2/administration-james-madison-to-compete-in-sun-belt-conference-in-2022-2023.aspx

With Sun Belt football membership, combined with Tuesday's announcement of a Sept. 3 home non-conference game vs. Middle Tennessee, the Dukes fulfilled an NCAA requirement to face a minimum of five FBS opponents in their home stadium in order for JMU to be considered an FBS opponent [NCAA Article 20.9.9.2]. JMU will not be eligible for the Sun Belt football championship or a postseason bowl for the 2022 season as a reclassifying institution but will enjoy full membership privileges in all other aspects, including the ESPN media package.

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

On 10/2/2022 at 10:05 PM, Did I hear a WOOSH? said:

Honest question, are you not reading the posts that you’re quoting? I literally said in the post that you quoted that James Madison is not eligible. So if they are the highest ranked conference champion, they cannot get in. As a fan of Boise state, that is what I’m hoping for because if we run the table, and granted that is a huge if and highly unlikely, but for argument sake, if we did, we would only have two losses with a win over BYU and the AAC champ will probably have a minimum of two or three losses. Multiple ranked teams is irrelevant, the G5 NY 6 representative is the highest ranked conference champion.

On 10/3/2022 at 10:44 AM, Pelado said:

Thank You!!! I did not think my point was that difficult to comprehend.

On 10/3/2022 at 1:02 PM, RSF said:

JMU isnt eligible for the Sun Belt championship.

https://jmusports.com/news/2022/2/2/administration-james-madison-to-compete-in-sun-belt-conference-in-2022-2023.aspx

With Sun Belt football membership, combined with Tuesday's announcement of a Sept. 3 home non-conference game vs. Middle Tennessee, the Dukes fulfilled an NCAA requirement to face a minimum of five FBS opponents in their home stadium in order for JMU to be considered an FBS opponent [NCAA Article 20.9.9.2]. JMU will not be eligible for the Sun Belt football championship or a postseason bowl for the 2022 season as a reclassifying institution but will enjoy full membership privileges in all other aspects, including the ESPN media package.

That’s what everyone is saying!!! We know! that’s the whole point and what all of us should be rooting for, an undefeated highly ranked JMU. They are already getting votes in the AP poll.

On 10/3/2022 at 9:17 PM, thespywhozaggedme said:

That’s what everyone is saying!!! We know! that’s the whole point and what all of us should be rooting for, an undefeated highly ranked JMU. They are already getting votes in the AP poll.

No.  What they do doesnt matter.  They could go 12-0, but if Coastal goes 12-1 and wins the Sun Belt, they are probably the G5 rep.  If Coastal loses more than once, then none of it matters.

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

On 10/3/2022 at 10:15 PM, thespywhozaggedme said:

Honest question, are you not reading the posts that you’re quoting? I literally said in the post that you quoted that James Madison is not eligible. So if they are the highest ranked conference champion, they cannot get in. As a fan of Boise state, that is what I’m hoping for because if we run the table, and granted that is a huge if and highly unlikely, but for argument sake, if we did, we would only have two losses with a win over BYU and the AAC champ will probably have a minimum of two or three losses. Multiple ranked teams is irrelevant, the G5 NY 6 representative is the highest ranked conference champion.

Definitely reading, just wondering why you’re even bringing them up at all when it’s been said multiple times by multiple people that they have no bearing on the ny6 this year.  I could ask the same question of you. Multiple ranked teams is absolutely relevant as that’s what’s used to determine who goes.  Not trying to be argumentative, I like the discussion.

On 10/3/2022 at 10:47 PM, Did I hear a WOOSH? said:

Definitely reading, just wondering why you’re even bringing them up at all when it’s been said multiple times by multiple people that they have no bearing on the ny6 this year.  I could ask the same question of you. Multiple ranked teams is absolutely relevant as that’s what’s used to determine who goes.  Not trying to be argumentative, I like the discussion.

If there are multiple ranked AAC teams only the highest ranked one, if they are the highest ranked conference champion out of all of the G5 teams gets in. It’s not a “at large“. There are specific criteria.

On 10/3/2022 at 10:22 PM, RSF said:

No.  What they do doesnt matter.  They could go 12-0, but if Coastal goes 12-1 and wins the Sun Belt, they are probably the G5 rep.  If Coastal loses more than once, then none of it matters.

Only because they cannot play for their conference championship game. I was not aware of that until just recently. It’s crazy that they could go undefeated, ranked 15th or so and not even get an opportunity to play for their own conference championship, let alone the NY six game. Stupid, stupid rules.

JMU and Coastal face one another in the last game of the season, if both remain undefeated up until that game, they'll both be top 15. If JMU wins, as we all know, they can't play for their conference championship and Coastal will still go no matter what but may be unranked, if they lose again in the conference championship to an unranked team and the AAC champ has 3 or more losses, do we get in if we run the table including a win over BYU? Obviously, a ton of "what if's" but fun to speculate, nonetheless. 

On 10/10/2022 at 12:06 PM, thespywhozaggedme said:

JMU and Coastal face one another in the last game of the season, if both remain undefeated up until that game, they'll both be top 15. If JMU wins, as we all know, they can't play for their conference championship and Coastal will still go no matter what but may be unranked, if they lose again in the conference championship to an unranked team and the AAC champ has 3 or more losses, do we get in if we run the table including a win over BYU? Obviously, a ton of "what if's" but fun to speculate, nonetheless. 

We're only halfway through the season. This is the point where quality of depth will begin to show.

Hard to believe a squad full of FCS players can beat up on the likes of App State.

"We don't have evidence but, we have lot's of theories."

Americans Mayor

On 10/10/2022 at 2:12 PM, Spaztecs said:

We're only halfway through the season. This is the point where quality of depth will begin to show.

Hard to believe a squad full of FCS players can beat up on the likes of App State.

You know, a lot of their squad is transfers from FBS, right? Including their starting quarterback. Not to mention App State has fall off of a cliff over the past few weeks. Have you looked at their record?

On 10/10/2022 at 1:00 PM, thespywhozaggedme said:

You know, a lot of their squad is transfers from FBS, right? Including their starting quarterback. Not to mention App State has fall off of a cliff over the past few weeks. Have you looked at their record?

Don't follow teams outside of the MW besides seeing scores.

This is the equivelant of Boise moving to the PAC and winning it all in year one 

"We don't have evidence but, we have lot's of theories."

Americans Mayor

Looks like Coastal is no longer going to be undefeated after today -- they're losing big to Old Dominion late in the 4th Q. They still need to play JMU and App State, plus UVA. 

The AAC teams (Cincy/Tulane/UCF) are going to beat each other up late in the season. So, should be an interesting finish.