Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

dshawfan

Aztec fans, should we be concerned.....

On 9/27/2022 at 5:16 PM, Old_SD_Dude said:

Maybe I’m just not understanding you. You’re not referring to this white guy running around in a fake costume as an “a deceased culture being represented in an elevated approach” are you?

F0FBF252-986C-4EC4-9B85-17EB21A48423.jpeg

Interesting enough, Carlos is of Mexican decent. He would be pissed if he heard you (actually he probably would laugh) called him a "White Guy."

On 9/27/2022 at 7:47 PM, Rev McQuervo said:

Interesting enough, Carlos is of Mexican decent. He would be pissed if he heard you (actually he probably would laugh) called him a "White Guy."

To be fair, he must be one of those of the descent that you see on the telenovelas outta Mexico City.  :P

On 9/27/2022 at 8:15 PM, East Coast Aztec said:

To be fair, he must be one of those of the descent that you see on the telenovelas outta Mexico City.  :P

Yup. Looks more criollo than mestizo or indigenous.

On 9/28/2022 at 3:16 AM, Old_SD_Dude said:

Maybe I’m just not understanding you. You’re not referring to this white guy running around in a fake costume as an “a deceased culture being represented in an elevated approach” are you?

F0FBF252-986C-4EC4-9B85-17EB21A48423.jpeg

Carlos is Mexican you dumbass.

On 9/28/2022 at 12:55 AM, AztecSU said:

So having poor Spanish and allowing the human mascot to go away, that has been trouble for decades, makes her woke? My freshman year was more than 20 years ago and people were marching then to get rid of the mascot and the Aztec moniker. There has to be more.

One of the most hilarious aspects of that protest, was a picture of some young ancestor of a Conquistador, with his arms around two Co-Eds with this horrific offended look on his face. It was such a spectacular grift, it needs to be praised and honored.

If any Aztec fans remember this, and have the photo, please post.

On 9/28/2022 at 3:19 AM, Pelado said:

That dude was representing the school?  Good call on getting rid of him.

Carlos is in his sixties. He served as Montezuma since the late 80s. He used to be in the promo videos, and would lead out the team, with a flaming spear. It was a great time. 

the Aztecs would have likely been offended that he didn’t ritually skin his enemies, at the fifty yard line.

On 9/27/2022 at 10:36 PM, fanhood said:

Carlos is in his sixties. He served as Montezuma since the late 80s. He used to be in the promo videos, and would lead out the team, with a flaming spear. It was a great time. 

the Aztecs would have likely been offended that he didn’t ritually skin his enemies, at the fifty yard line.

Lest we forget the winning team captain sacrificing himself to the Gods at the conclusion of the match.

"We don't have evidence but, we have lot's of theories."

Americans Mayor

On 9/28/2022 at 9:33 AM, Old_SD_Dude said:

Didn’t know that despite watching that tired act for decades. He looks about as Aztec as I do. 

Well, that is because the Aztecs are all dead, and those that act offended are actually ancestors of the Conquistadors that killed them. It truly is as rich as it gets.

On 9/27/2022 at 5:19 PM, Pelado said:

That dude was representing the school?  Good call on getting rid of him.

He was, for a couple of years. Carlos Gutierrez is  the Monty most often associated with the role.  The picture posted is misleading and disingenuous.

And the poster knows it.

For the record, I've never had any strong feelings one way or the other on the Aztec mascot however, there are MANY, MANY alums that have gone to the mat multiple times to preserve the tradition. Rank and file Mexicans have no problem with the symbology.

“Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.”

-Richard Feynman

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."

-P.J. O’Rourke

As to JD, he's basically been a non entity other than the credit he gets for the stadium. Can't think of a single impactful hire. Most sports teams  on the Mesa are mired in mediocrity. The Big 2 are on auto-pilot. Season ticket sales are meh. SDSU sports marketing remains basically invisible other than a couple of trolley wraps and under performing Instagram accounts.

The face of SDSU sports is basically three dull as paste middle aged white guys.

Dutch is the most charismatic of the three. Dutch...

“Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.”

-Richard Feynman

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."

-P.J. O’Rourke

On 9/27/2022 at 11:33 PM, Old_SD_Dude said:

Didn’t know that despite watching that tired act for decades. He looks about as Aztec as I do. 

Guiterrez, he actually traveled to Mexico City to study the culture and history before representing.

Insensitive comments that really don't require a response. This guy did it (still) on his own dime and because he is passionate about his culture.

Some of you idiot's sound like NancyMesa fan.

On 9/28/2022 at 12:38 AM, SDSUfan said:

He was, for a couple of years. Carlos Gutierrez is  the Monty most often associated with the role.  The picture posted is misleading and disingenuous.

And the poster knows it.

For the record, I've never had any strong feelings one way or the other on the Aztec mascot however, there are MANY, MANY alums that have gone to the mat multiple times to preserve the tradition. Rank and file Mexicans have no problem with the symbology.

I thought they all did a great job not making it a caricature.  I didn't know the Warrior in the picture personally, but I did meet him at a game (very briefly) and he is a good dude.  I wish the school kept the Warrior (I don't call him mascot)

I actually work with someone of Nahua descent who's fluent in Nahuatl. To him Carlos and others who have dressed as the Warrior are like the white American's who claim native ancestry. Carlos surely had Spanish, Dutch, or maybe German ancestors, he definitely doesnt appear of be Mexica or other regional native groups. I mentioned Tlaloc and his comments about this some years back as the reason I finally decided I could live with the Human depiction being removed IF we kept the name. I know most of us arent bothered by the warrior, I def wasnt, Im also not really bothered by his departure.

Again, I ask what is wrong with Adela, seems hyper libs and hyper cons really dont like her, which honestly makes he seem appealing. 

On 9/28/2022 at 10:10 AM, AztecSU said:

I actually work with someone of Nahua descent who's fluent in Nahuatl. To him Carlos and others who have dressed as the Warrior are like the white American's who claim native ancestry. Carlos surely had Spanish, Dutch, or maybe German ancestors, he definitely doesnt appear of be Mexica or other regional native groups. I mentioned Tlaloc and his comments about this some years back as the reason I finally decided I could live with the Human depiction being removed if we kept the name. I know most of us arent bothered by the warrior, I def wasnt, Im also not really bothered by his departure.

Again, I ask what is wrong with Adela, seems hyper libs and hyper cons really dont like her, which honestly makes he seem appealing. 

If the extremists hate her, she must be doing something right.

"We don't have evidence but, we have lot's of theories."

Americans Mayor

On 9/28/2022 at 9:10 AM, AztecSU said:

I actually work with someone of Nahua descent who's fluent in Nahuatl. To him Carlos and others who have dressed as the Warrior are like the white American's who claim native ancestry. Carlos surely had Spanish, Dutch, or maybe German ancestors, he definitely doesnt appear of be Mexica or other regional native groups. I mentioned Tlaloc and his comments about this some years back as the reason I finally decided I could live with the Human depiction being removed IF we kept the name. I know most of us arent bothered by the warrior, I def wasnt, Im also not really bothered by his departure.

Does this mean my mutt ass can't rock dashikis, even if I try to be respectful?  I don't think that just because you don't look the part doesn't mean you can't try to be respectful while bringing a representation to a culture.  I never got negative vibes from any of the Warriors, and saw my buddy who tried out and was likely going to be picked get denied by the Warrior Foundation after they caught him drunk as hell at a tailgate.  I was never a part of that committee but it did seem like they gave a shit about respect.  My fellow "not black enough" brother, should we critique it when the exact scenario would play out with us if we tried to show respect to our backgrounds, or are we disallowed from taking part in general?  I don't think you are going hard on this, so don't take it as I am going after you, just trying to add another angle.

And yes, I don't see the problem yet with Adela.  She is an academic, doing academic things.  The only knock, which could be interpreted the opposite way, is that she always seems to be front and center is that she always finds her way into the shots whenever some athletic thing happens.  But again, it can be interpreted to show she is active in athletic attendance, so...

On 9/28/2022 at 10:16 AM, East Coast Aztec said:

Does this mean my mutt ass can't rock dashikis, even if I try to be respectful?  I don't think that just because you don't look the part doesn't mean you can't try to be respectful while bringing a representation to a culture.  I never got negative vibes from any of the Warriors, and saw my buddy who tried out and was likely going to be picked get denied by the Warrior Foundation after they caught him drunk as hell at a tailgate.  I was never a part of that committee but it did seem like they gave a shit about respect.  My fellow "not black enough" brother, should we critique it when the exact scenario would play out with us if we tried to show respect to our backgrounds, or are we disallowed from taking part in general?  I don't think you are going hard on this, so don't take it as I am going after you, just trying to add another angle.

And yes, I don't see the problem yet with Adela.  She is an academic, doing academic things.  The only knock, which could be interpreted the opposite way, is that she always seems to be front and center is that she always finds her way into the shots whenever some athletic thing happens.  But again, it can be interpreted to show she is active in athletic attendance, so...

I mean I literally said I was fine with it either way, but actually hearing from someone who is Nahua(which btw, I did not know there were living descendants of the Mexica/Aztec peoples until about 5 years ago) helped me realize there are def people who have at least some actual claims to that culture out there and how they feel about this may matter. The person I know specifically complained that the outfit is not real but more of a caricature in school colors and that the warrior was def not Nahua or Mexica. I do understand your references to not being black enough and get it in this context, but it also struck me that Tlaloc made the comparison to specifically point out that he does not believe any Nahua people have been a part of SDSU's attempt at being respectful to the culture or name. I would put it this way, I wanted the Warrior and name to stay, but also felt like it wasnt/isnt my place to decide that. I get a lot of older fans have real attachment to that stuff, well native peoples are also very attached to their culture. 

On 9/28/2022 at 9:10 AM, AztecSU said:

I agree with you about her at this point. None of us know what kind of political pressure the woman may be under about the name Aztecs.

Personally, I always thought the Monty Montezuma name was idiotic. Always reminded me of the white man version of an old cowboy actor named Monty Montana whose photo was on the wall of the principal's office of my elementary school. I wasn't in favor of removal of the Aztec mascot only because I hate political correctness but now that it's gone, it's time to move on although I'm sure many SDSU grads don't view it that way. I'm also sure that many members of the faculty senate still want to see the Aztecs nickname abolished and that's another PC thing that annoys me. That stuff seems to come around once every decade and it has to be lingering in the background for De La Torre.

What I WILL care about if she doesn't handle it properly is getting SDSU to Tier 1 research status. The last half-dozen years it's been close but no cigar and if that is used by Cal or whomever to keep us out of the Pac, I'll be furious.

On 9/28/2022 at 1:19 PM, 818SUDSFan said:

I agree with you about her at this point. None of us know what kind of political pressure the woman may be under about the name Aztecs.

Personally, I always thought the Monty Montezuma name was idiotic. Always reminded me of the white man version of an old cowboy actor named Monty Montana whose photo was on the wall of the principal's office of my elementary school. I wasn't in favor of removal of the Aztec mascot only because I hate political correctness but now that it's gone, it's time to move on although I'm sure many SDSU grads don't view it that way. I'm also sure that many members of the faculty senate still want to see the Aztecs nickname abolished and that's another PC thing that annoys me. That stuff seems to come around once every decade and it has to be lingering in the background for De La Torre.

What I WILL care about if she doesn't handle it properly is getting SDSU to Tier 1 research status. The last half-dozen years it's been close but no cigar and if that is used by Cal or whomever to keep us out of the Pac, I'll be furious.

There are Instagram accounts of current students, who many older fans would call "woke", that hate her guts with a passion. I'm not super tuned into everything, but when you see she is hated by both more extreme elements it does create the impression she might be doing something right.