Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

AztecAlien

A Little SD Chicken Story

Just A Little Something Different. 

Came across this article on how The San Diego Chicken became a legend. It brought back memories about all the times I laughed growing up when he showed up at games. Chicken wing in Cooperstown? Hope people will enjoy this. 

https://sabr.org/bioproj/person/ted-giannoulas-san-diego-chicken/

Thanks Ted

o.jpg.a226bcc7b858f6ae6f0f695d6cd5c0b4.jpg

I grew up with OTA television in Minnesota Twins country so I never really got to see the SD Chicken at Padres games.  As a kid I remember the Chicken fondly on the early 80’s show The Baseball Bunch with Johnny Bench.

image.jpeg.44516c102050d44c67ffa687b494859e.jpeg

On 9/26/2022 at 1:38 PM, Nevada Convert said:

For those that don’t know, the KGB Chicken thing was the big San Diego rock station 101.5 KGB FM that still exists today. Eddie Vedder’s first music ever on the radio was on the Sunday local music show in 1988. 

During his early days as the KGB Chicken, we had him to our Jr High school for the end of year Annual Signing Party. Still have my 8th grade annual w the KGB Chicken scrawled across it; that would have been about 1976. Geez that was a long time ago 😂

On 9/26/2022 at 2:40 PM, dshawfan said:

During his early days as the KGB Chicken, we had him to our Jr High school for the end of year Annual Signing Party. Still have my 8th grade annual w the KGB Chicken scrawled across it; that would have been about 1976. Geez that was a long time ago 😂

I grew up in San Diego too (military brat). I liked the KGB chicken days better, he was local and the city embraced him. Then he went national and it just wasn't the same after that, IMHO.

From Scratch by the KGB Chicken - Etsy

On 9/26/2022 at 2:43 PM, crixus said:

I grew up in San Diego too (military brat). I liked the KGB chicken days better, he was local and the city embraced him. Then he went national and it just wasn't the same after that, IMHO.

From Scratch by the KGB Chicken - Etsy

He used to show up at concerts, smoke weed and drink everyone's booze.  They blanket tossed him at the ZZ Top World Wide Texas Tour show.  Dude was at least 30' in the air.  Never forget it.

Good Times. 

Back when fun was allowed in the US.

“Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.”

-Richard Feynman

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."

-P.J. O’Rourke

On 9/26/2022 at 12:47 PM, Dogday63 said:

Easily the funniest mascot in my lifetime. Thanks for sharing. 

The chicken is great. Benny the Bull is really good as well.

The Las Vegas Stars used to be the AAA affiliate of the Padres. It was a big effing deal when the Pads loaned the Stars the chicken for a series. Stadium filled up lol.

I loved watching the Chicken on tv as a kid and was able to get a pic with him when I was like 10 years old when he entertained us at a Fresno State home basketball game.

On 9/26/2022 at 2:38 PM, Nevada Convert said:

For those that don’t know, the KGB Chicken thing was the big San Diego rock station 101.5 KGB FM that still exists today. Eddie Vedder’s first music ever on the radio was on the Sunday local music show in 1988. 

Beat me to it.

He was a mascot for the Radio Station back in the 70's. Starting showing up at events and ball games. The dude was awesome.

KGB is also the station that has sponsored the Sky Show every year.

Do they still call it the KGB Sky Show ?

"We don't have evidence but, we have lot's of theories."

Americans Mayor