Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

crixus

NFL To Replace Pro Bowl With Skills Competition & Flag Football Game

Coming to Las Vegas in February, 2023  - 

The league will implement a weeklong skills competition and subsequent flag football game slated to take place the Sunday before the Super Bowl. The league is dubbing these new contests "The Pro Bowl Games."

https://www.foxsports.com/stories/nfl/nfl-to-replace-pro-bowl-with-skills-competition-flag-football-game

This is excellent. That QB competition is going to be awesome with Mahomes, Allen, Herbert, Hurts, Rogers, and Brady.

5809184128_5cf90ed7dc_b.jpg

On 9/26/2022 at 11:16 AM, thedude15 said:

Same here. NFL has by far the worst all star game. But even by going the skilled competition route (which is a huge improvement) still zero chance I watch. 

Not sure what I would watch. I’m interested in who gets named to the pro bowl rosters but beyond that who cares. Maybe have them play madden or something? Idk. 

On 9/26/2022 at 11:33 AM, SJSUMFA2013 said:

Not sure what I would watch. I’m interested in who gets named to the pro bowl rosters but beyond that who cares. Maybe have them play madden or something? Idk. 

I would love to see several days of skill challenges from all of the position players and then at the end we have a mascot game. All 32 mascots participating in a 7 vs 7 AFC/NFC matchup. 

kids-vs-mascots-gifs.gif.6774c0f3df669fdb66d39e7a8cafa6ca.gif

875094619_Vikings.gif.b1221b70cbba584b59b4747d2c89a6dd.gif

0918_FootballVBoise(Weir)6081.jpg.91934a8a511e3532b39599f1988bbacb.jpg

On 9/26/2022 at 11:44 AM, ridgeview2 said:

I would love to see several days of skill challenges from all of the position players and then at the end we have a mascot game. All 32 mascots participating in a 7 vs 7 AFC/NFC matchup. 

kids-vs-mascots-gifs.gif.6774c0f3df669fdb66d39e7a8cafa6ca.gif

875094619_Vikings.gif.b1221b70cbba584b59b4747d2c89a6dd.gif

But are the pro bowl players wearing the mascot costumes? Because I think I would watch that.  

On 9/26/2022 at 11:45 AM, SJSUMFA2013 said:

But are the pro bowl players wearing the mascot costumes? Because I think I would watch that.  

I don't know any players who would do it considering the risks of injury, but would be funny to do a masked singer type format where you have to guess who they are.

0918_FootballVBoise(Weir)6081.jpg.91934a8a511e3532b39599f1988bbacb.jpg

On 9/26/2022 at 11:48 AM, ridgeview2 said:

I don't know any players who would do it considering the risks of injury, but would be funny to do a masked singer type format where you have to guess who they are.

Rumor is Tom Brady has already been training for this

On 9/26/2022 at 10:38 AM, WYO1016 said:

This is excellent. That QB competition is going to be awesome with Mahomes, Allen, Herbert, Hurts, Rogers, and Brady.

The flag football game doesn't interest me, but I would definitely watch those six QB's go at it in a skills competition. 🏈

On 9/26/2022 at 3:21 PM, OrediggerPoke said:

I predicted years ago that head injuries could change the NFL to flag football.  I still think it is possible someday and maybe this is a start.  Based on my concussion history and how it has impacted me, my kids won't be playing football unfortunately.

Never personally played football, but concussions can happen in almost any sport. Granted, football tends to be higher with the big hits and all. But you have sports like MMA, Boxing, Kickboxing, etc where to win, you are allowed, and even encouraged, to knockout your opponent. Even in the martial arts dojo I was in, one student accidentally knocked out the instructor during belt testing when doing submission holds and he was switching to an armbar. Knee accidentally hit the instructor's temple.

On 9/26/2022 at 4:15 PM, son of a gun said:

Never personally played football, but concussions can happen in almost any sport. Granted, football tends to be higher with the big hits and all. But you have sports like MMA, Boxing, Kickboxing, etc where to win, you are allowed, and even encouraged, to knockout your opponent. Even in the martial arts dojo I was in, one student accidentally knocked out the instructor during belt testing when doing submission holds and he was switching to an armbar. Knee accidentally hit the instructor's temple.

Absolutely.  I had just as many concussions in football as other sports (although football started me on the concussion path which became much easier after the first couple including a bad one).  That said, the risk is too much in my mind for football, and, if I could go back, I wouldn’t play.  The impact to short term memory has been difficult for me and is only getting worse.  

Hell, I don’t even let the U14 soccer kids I’ve coached over the years head the ball.  They complain but I tell them they can thank me later.