Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

bsu_alum9

Hank to the portal.

On 9/26/2022 at 7:32 PM, 4UNLV said:

I haven't read this thread, so forgive me if this was already answered.. did Hank OPT to go into the portal, or was he TOLD to go into the portal? I know for fact this happened to a UNLV basketball player 2 or 3 years ago..

It was initially thought that he was asked to leave, but most signs point to him deciding to leave. He's only played in 4 games this year, so that would give him 2 more years to play if he left now vs losing the season if he played in one more game.

He's a great kid. Tough as nails and a great community guy. I really hope he moves on and finds tremendous success.

On 9/27/2022 at 9:25 AM, Spaztecs said:

He will find out quick how he responds to blind Side blitzes

That's how he scored a 74 yard TD on OSU. I'm more worried about interior stunts, especially if we still  are starting a true freshman right guard.  Boise's tackles are actually pretty decent.  But the interior three positions are really banged up.  Against UTEP, Boise kept a lot of TEs and RBs behind the line to help block, allowing the Miners to easily defend 2 WRs.  I don't think Koetter goes that route.

On 9/26/2022 at 10:46 PM, Fowl said:

Let me preface this by saying that I've watched every play from every Boise game the last three years.

I thought Hank got a raw deal from the Boise fans.  The guy had three different OC's including the numbskull whose photographic memory was so great that he forgot watching his OL get beat so badly the prior play that he called another five-man protection, slow developing pass play on the next one.

The Boise OL the past two seasons has been pretty horrendous.  I think HMHB stated Hank was the most hit QB in FBS last year - I don't doubt that at all.  I'd venture to guess he is right there again this season.

Even with the pounding he took last year and the OC's terrible play calling and system he had a 63% completion percentage, a 140 passer rating, threw for 3,000 yards and an int/attempt ratio of just 2.0% which is damn good for a QB that gets hit half as much as Hank did.

That said, he is gone and Green looks to be up.  I re-watched all of Green's plays against Oregon State today and I came away much more impressed than I did initially.  He threw the ball to the correct spot on almost every pass.  Some of the receivers dropped passes that should have been caught.  Even still his completion percentage was 69% against a defense that just held a QB who was touted as a heisman candidate to 44% - some 22% below his season average.  Green threw for 155 yards in three quarters of play.  Caleb Williams threw for just 180 yards in four quarters.

Green made a lot of good reads and his athleticism negated the porous OL.  He gives Boise the best chance to win the rest of the way given the OL troubles and getting him reps the rest of the way this year sets up the offense much better for next year.

I agree with all of this. Hank did get a raw deal. I think it's mostly because of the expectations when he came in. It would have been very hard to live up to those. You're higher on Green than I am. I'm cautiously optimistic, but I'm under no delusion that this is gunna be a quick fix situation.

On 9/27/2022 at 7:15 AM, halfmanhalfbronco said:

I'm in wait and see mode but cautiously optimistic. 

On 9/27/2022 at 10:28 AM, kingpotato said:

I'm cautiously optimistic, but I'm under no delusion that this is gunna be a quick fix situation.

Are you guys are just afraid of @Bob coming back to razz you?

I'm in recklessly delusional mode. LOL

image.png.df75c7468c2853d7a2cb5d5f4eb4a2da.png

On 9/27/2022 at 11:44 AM, bsu_alum9 said:

No, I think our O-line really hampers what the offense can do and that pressure up the middle worries me with a young QB.  Going back to Southwick it is pressure up the middle that really causes us problems and with the injuries at guard and center...yikes.  No fix for the lack of talent at WR, either.  Although I bet they stop running lazy routes now and put more effort into it.    

Cautiously optimistic, Green is a mega freak.  Koetter might have the best resume of any OC in college football.  We just don't have the horses IMO.  

On 9/27/2022 at 11:44 AM, bsu_alum9 said:

I'm basing it on the limited amount of play we've seen. He looked fine, but not great. His best play was a broken play. I'm not sure he can be consistent on drives.

On 9/27/2022 at 11:04 AM, kingpotato said:

I'm basing it on the limited amount of play we've seen. He looked fine, but not great. His best play was a broken play. I'm not sure he can be consistent on drives.

Probably only need 3 scoring drives to win on Friday.  2 or 3 busted plays could be all Boise needs.  Fresno maybe same thing if Haener is still out.

I'm just crossing my fingers Dooley, KHG, Randolph, and Farrar can get back to near fully healthy after the bye week. I still think this team has potential to be very good if that happens.  A finish much like last season. But we'll see.

On 9/27/2022 at 8:14 AM, Bob said:

Nice language, buddy. You are a perfect representative of BYU and why the country hates your school.

If you say so, big bob. Idiot gonna idiot. That's not why folks like you hate BYU, bc someone called you mean names on a message board, guy

Image result for jim mcmahon with lavell edwardsImage result for byu logoImage result for byu boise state end zone hail maryc07489bb8bb7f5bad3672877f8b04f34.jpg

On 9/27/2022 at 12:55 PM, Jack Bauer said:

If you say so, big bob. Idiot gonna idiot. That's not why folks like you hate BYU, bc someone called you mean names on a message board, guy

ha ha you don't get it. Everyone hates your school and it's because of people like you, which there are a lot of. Get out of here with your phony holier than thou are shit/

On 9/27/2022 at 11:22 AM, bsu_alum9 said:

That's how he scored a 74 yard TD on OSU. I'm more worried about interior stunts, especially if we still  are starting a true freshman right guard.  Boise's tackles are actually pretty decent.  But the interior three positions are really banged up.  Against UTEP, Boise kept a lot of TEs and RBs behind the line to help block, allowing the Miners to easily defend 2 WRs.  I don't think Koetter goes that route.

The dude looks very fast and strong. He'll be a challenge to keep in the pocket.  seems like Doug Brumfield, but with a funny release of the ball.

On 9/26/2022 at 9:36 PM, sactowndog said:

If HHMB posts the market is going up:  SELL! 

Yup. Josh Allen sucks, Rypien is great. Bachmeier is awesome. Green is the second coming of Josh Allen... we'll see, Halfmanhalfbronco!

On 9/27/2022 at 1:27 PM, Bob said:

The dude looks very fast and strong. He'll be a challenge to keep in the pocket.  seems like Doug Brumfield, but with a funny release of the ball.

He's definitely fast. He was gaping the OSU defense.  He had a 22-3 TD to int ratio as a jr in high school, but didn't put a ton of passing yards.  Our now number 2 qb was much better on paper if you read both their bios, but Green is 6'5 and fast so that makes up for a lot of on paper stats. And Green played in Texas vs Oregon.

On 9/27/2022 at 1:30 PM, Bob said:

Yup. Josh Allen sucks, Rypien is great. Bachmeier is awesome. Green is the second coming of Josh Allen... we'll see, Halfmanhalfbronco!

Oh, he is much more athletic than Josh Allen.  Way faster, jumps way higher, way more agile. If he can play QB though remains to be seen.  Allen is the best QB in the NFL, not sure Green is even a good FBS QB.  Elite athlete though.

And Rypien was awesome.  MWC POTY, stuck on an NFL roster.  Would easily be the best QB in the MWC this year.

On 9/27/2022 at 1:27 PM, Bob said:

Our fans are already dissecting his throwing motion.  Reality is with a small sample size he gets the ball where it's supposed to be.  That one will take a while to get more overhead but in the meantime it seems to work.

On 9/27/2022 at 1:25 PM, Bob said:

ha ha you don't get it. Everyone hates your school and it's because of people like you, which there are a lot of. Get out of here with your phony holier than thou are shit/

Get out of here with your fake tough guy act, champ. Seen lots of that from folks like you this past week.

Image result for jim mcmahon with lavell edwardsImage result for byu logoImage result for byu boise state end zone hail maryc07489bb8bb7f5bad3672877f8b04f34.jpg

On 9/27/2022 at 1:58 PM, roughrider said:

Our fans are already dissecting his throwing motion.  Reality is with a small sample size he gets the ball where it's supposed to be.  That one will take a while to get more overhead but in the meantime it seems to work.

I'm not looking forward to facing him, I'm going to be honest. So when does a P5 team lure him away with a six figure NIL deal?