Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

bsu_alum9

Hank to the portal.

Hank is one of the best kids to put on the blue.  His partnership with the Ronald McDonald house for NIL, all the work he did in the community, sacrificing his body for the team (not always good decisions lol).  Wish him nothing but the best.

Let's see what Green or Vidlak can do with #1 reps.  

On 9/26/2022 at 10:41 AM, TheTedfordTrain said:

Hank looked great in his first year. I thought he would be the best QB in this conference for the foreseeable future.  But then he never made any progress. Maybe even regressed. I don’t know how much of that is his fault or the coaches fault. Sad end. 

A different OC every year and all those brutal hits.  Nobody can ever take Tallahassee away from him, God speed Hurricane Hank! 

On 9/26/2022 at 11:12 AM, halfmanhalfbronco said:

A different OC every year and all those brutal hits.  Nobody can ever take Tallahassee away from him, God speed Hurricane Hank! 

I truly believe that getting hit like that can change a persons psychology. The body and brain keeps score. An abused animal flinches at a raised hand. I feel Hanks regression has to do with his having to overcome the perfectly rational and conditioned response to violent hits. I think the same thing happened to David Carr. They say more NFL rookie QBs are ruined than developed, this is how it happens. 

On 9/26/2022 at 11:31 AM, Kirbycreekpoke said:

I truly believe that getting hit like that can change a persons psychology. The body and brain keeps score. An abused animal flinches at a raised hand. I feel Hanks regression has to do with his having to overcome the perfectly rational and conditioned response to violent hits. I think the same thing happened to David Carr. They say more NFL rookie QBs are ruined than developed, this is how it happens. 

I honestly think he needs to have an MRI before deciding to play again.  Some of the hits were on the O-line but even more were due to his non existent pocket presence or his "head first" mentality in giving up his body for that extra yard instead of sliding, especially his first two years.  

Hank will go down as one of my favorite people to play for Boise State, but my least favorite to QB the team.  

On 9/26/2022 at 10:39 AM, halfmanhalfbronco said:

I honestly think he needs to have an MRI before deciding to play again.  Some of the hits were on the O-line but even more were due to his non existent pocket presence or his "head first" mentality in giving up his body for that extra yard instead of sliding, especially his first two years.  

Hank will go down as one of my favorite people to play for Boise State, but my least favorite to QB the team.  

That was my biggest frustration with Bachmeier.  I was at the home game against Hawaii in 2019 when he got knocked out of the game because he took the hit head on instead of sliding, which resulted in a hip-pointer.  Then he does the same thing at San Jose State a few weeks later and doesn't play again until the throwaway bowl game against Washington.  I didn't see him slide much after that and it gave me the impression that he may not have learned from his mistakes.  Yes, revolving OCs may have factored into him leaving, but in any part of life, you have to learn from your mistakes, and quite frankly, I don't think Bachmeier did that.

On 9/26/2022 at 9:01 AM, bsu_alum9 said:

r-FR Taylen Green (6'-6", 220) who has elite athleticism and a huge arm, but struggles with accuracy and reads.

r-FR Sam Vidlak (6'-0", 195) who transferred from Oregon State after not feeling like he had  a fair shot there.  He throws the best ball and is the most accurate, many media members thought he'd be #2 after fall camp.

t-FR Maddox Madsen (not quite 5'-10", 200) 

r-FR Colt Folton (6'-4, 195) coaches haven't said much about him being in the mix, so I'd imagine he transfers as well after this season.

---

To add to the drama, Boise's two most important recruits are visiting this friday night, one of them quarterback CJ Tiller, whom Boise is grasping at shoelaces to get the kid to maintain his commitment (also being courted by a few PAC schools).

image.gif.2aa5bd064892d989d3345fd585eccadd.gif

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

On 9/26/2022 at 10:08 AM, thespywhozaggedme said:

Link?

HMHB posted a thread on his commitment titled "this deserves main board treatment" and a ton of Boise fans were bragging about how program-defining it was. It was nauseating, but mostly because everybody else was super jealous, lol. 

On 9/26/2022 at 9:42 AM, Bob said:

Anyway, crazy it ended like this. When Backmeier signed, Donk fans were talking insane amounts of shit saying that there would be Fiesta Bowls every year and blah, blah blah

who said that, bob? one or two ultra homers on the far corners of the internet? the fan base certainly had high hopes for HB, but most of us were not expecting annual trips to NY6 games

On 9/26/2022 at 12:12 PM, JADogs05 said:

HMHB posted a thread on his commitment titled "this deserves main board treatment" and a ton of Boise fans were bragging about how program-defining it was. It was nauseating, but mostly because everybody else was super jealous, lol. 

Highest rated QB to ever commit to a program in this conference out of high school.  

On 9/26/2022 at 10:01 AM, bsu_alum9 said:

r-FR Taylen Green (6'-6", 220) who has elite athleticism and a huge arm, but struggles with accuracy and reads.

r-FR Sam Vidlak (6'-0", 195) who transferred from Oregon State after not feeling like he had  a fair shot there.  He throws the best ball and is the most accurate, many media members thought he'd be #2 after fall camp.

t-FR Maddox Madsen (not quite 5'-10", 200) 

r-FR Colt Folton (6'-4, 195) coaches haven't said much about him being in the mix, so I'd imagine he transfers as well after this season.

---

To add to the drama, Boise's two most important recruits are visiting this friday night, one of them quarterback CJ Tiller, whom Boise is grasping at shoelaces to get the kid to maintain his commitment (also being courted by a few PAC schools).

Could be interesting to see if Vidlak is the guy after it is all said and done.  Greens athleticism is tantalizing, but to win you need a QB that can move the chains with passes.  

Mobile QBs like Green tend to get banged up a lot too.

BSU, don't look back with this. Your OC and Hank were just taking you to the bottom. Writing was on the wall. Hank may have had some bright spots but I said it about 3-4 weeks ago. You've seen the best Hank will ever be. And that's not good enough.

Roll with the Green kid. Be patient. You likely won't be in the hunt for the MWC title this year but still a lot of games for Green to get some polish. I'd bet by season's end Green is very serviceable. And will have a full head of steam for 2023. Changing offensive systems mid season will take time too.

I have no horse in this race, so outside looking in. I think this is a great move for BSU long term. 

Honestly if Hank truly has 2 years of eligibility left I won't mind Fresno taking a look at him lol. Unless Fife blows it away in the 1-3 starts he gets in Haener absence there is a decent shot we might look the portal route for a QB so why not take a look at Hank? 

On 9/26/2022 at 12:18 PM, utenation said:

BSU, don't look back with this. Your OC and Hank were just taking you to the bottom. Writing was on the wall. Hank may have had some bright spots but I said it about 3-4 weeks ago. You've seen the best Hank will ever be. And that's not good enough.

Roll with the Green Kid. Be patient. You likely won't be in the hunt for the MWC title but sill a lot of games for Green to get some polish. I'd bet by season's end Green is very serviceable. And will have a full head of steam for 2023. Changing offensive systems mid season will take time too.

I have no horse in this race, so outside looking in. I think this is a great move for BSU long term. 

I'm not expecting any miracles here.  Our already very bad OL is now so beat up Freshmen are playing.  Our WR's still will struggle to get open and our top 2 TE's are down.  It's going to be a long season.

That said, athletes like Green come around once in a generation for teams like Boise.  Let the rebuild begin, by the time Green is an upperclassmen we could be really good again, especially if Koetter sticks around.  

I think Boise's running game will open up with the RPO--Green will be a legit threat to keep it and OLBs can't cheat by keying in on Holani. I'd say that the passing game will take a step back, but is it even possible to get worse than what happened vs. UTEP and Oregon State? Not really IMO. 

I think Koetter will start by working lots of rub routes, crossing patterns, and screens to get Green acclimated in his first game or two. If he's smart enough to read defenses well, I'm sure you'll see a lot of pre-snap motion to get WRs better leverage and a timing-based offense. Green also looks like he has a pretty live arm, so maybe a vertical-based offense is better--assuming the OL can block long enough. 

Looking at Boise's starters, they're upperclassmen and seniors across the board. Weird to see such a precipitous decline--I actually thought Boise did decently well last year considering their schedule. Something definitely needed to change. 

I honestly didn't know you could just transfer mid season like that. I thought players were locked in at least for the season and could transfer before bowl games. It will be crazy to see if a coach completely loses the locker room and the entire team hits the transfer portal like what happened to Hawaii in the offseason. A program would be decimated for years if that happened.

0918_FootballVBoise(Weir)6081.jpg.91934a8a511e3532b39599f1988bbacb.jpg

On 9/26/2022 at 12:18 PM, utenation said:

Roll with the Green kid. Be patient. You likely won't be in the hunt for the MWC title this year but still a lot of games for Green to get some polish. I'd bet by season's end Green is very serviceable. And will have a full head of steam for 2023. Changing offensive systems mid season will take time too.

I agree but wouldn't count out Vidlak. He was higher rated than Green, is a better passer than Green, can run (not like Green but is much faster than hank). Koetter likes pocket passers and he is more pocket passer than Green.  I think we see some combo.