Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rev McQuervo

Aztecs at Boise State

This is a big game and a season hanging in the balance feel in week five.

Boise changes their OC, you know there will be some wrinkles in their scheme and play calling there is no way to prep for. I also expect to see both QB's.

The Aztec offense showed some life for a total of 12(?) plays last week. The Defense seems to have come back to life.

For a game that looked big on paper a mere month ago, it has become an early season elimination game for both squads.

"We don't have evidence but, we have lot's of theories."

Americans Mayor

On 9/26/2022 at 7:55 AM, Spaztecs said:

Boise changes their OC, you know there will be some wrinkles in their scheme and play calling there is no way to prep for. I also expect to see both QB's.

The Aztec offense showed some life for a total of 12(?) plays last week. The Defense seems to have come back to life.

For a game that looked big on paper a mere month ago, it has become an early season elimination game for both squads.

Changed QBs too.  Will be interesting to see how they use Green.  Will be a tougher week for you guys to prepare with new QB/OC.  

SDSU's defense looks like it's back. The Arizona game was just a bad situation.  A team with an accurate QB and 3-4 WRs who are going to beat the brakes off of 90% of MWC DBs, particularly in space. Those 10-yard completions turned into 25-yard gains for that reason. SDSU didn't get enough pressure to disrupt the Wildcats' offense or generate a lot of bad turnovers and therefore fell apart. 

It seems like Boise's #2 is Green, the running QB--and also the QB that was probably getting the lion's share of quality reps in camp (apart from Bachmeier). I think SDSU will be able to stack the box and contain him. Boise doesn't have the skill position talent that Arizona does. 

If SDSU had a top 75 offense I'd think they were a lock to win. But they don't. Even when Burmeister has enough time to throw, the result is generally a pass that's well off-target. If Boise can put together enough lengthy drives early in the game, I think they can tire SDSU out and win with two or three scores. 

Toilet Bowl 2022

SDSU's offense is a joke. However, when they were forced to operate with tempo in the 4th qtr, something they dont do otherwise, the offense seemed to click. Look for the SDSU offense to try and use some tempo. Will it work? TF I look like, a psychic? 

On the flip side SDSU seems to always shit its pants against backup QBs...so this could get ugly for the Aztecs. 

On 9/26/2022 at 7:55 AM, Spaztecs said:

A few wrinkles maybe but much more simplified most likely.  If it's Green, his athleticism will keep you in check.

What should be different is the effort.  This crappy team has played flat and uninterested so far this season.  That should change. 

Does anyone remember the 2000 Humanitarian Bowl?  Most of the WAC was underwhelmed by Karl Benson tricking the WAC into inviting his alma-mater, Big West member Boise State to join.

We expected UTEP, then our co-champ to put Boise in their place.

Then UTEP got rolled and it was the start of the "Oh Crap this Boise State program might be legitimate".

Last week, might have been the start of the "Oh Crap Boise State might be done for as a football powerhouse" era.

On 9/26/2022 at 11:48 AM, AztecSU said:

Toilet Bowl 2022

SDSU's offense is a joke. However, when they were forced to operate with tempo in the 4th qtr, something they dont do otherwise, the offense seemed to click. Look for the SDSU offense to try and use some tempo. Will it work? TF I look like, a psychic? 

On the flip side SDSU seems to always shit its pants against backup QBs...so this could get ugly for the Aztecs. 

That's definitely true when the opponent's starter goes out with injury during the game. That isn't the case for Friday, however.

I foresee a game like last night's Niners at Broncos with the home team boring the visitors into submission by a score of 11-10.

On 9/26/2022 at 4:08 PM, 818SUDSFan said:

That's definitely true when the opponent's starter goes out with injury during the game. That isn't the case for Friday, however.

I foresee a game like last night's Niners at Broncos with the home team boring the visitors into submission by a score of 11-10.

This is true. Having your starting QB go down against us in game is basically a reverse Pitt superweapon. Suddenly our entire team plays like they're not starters. 

On 9/26/2022 at 12:48 PM, AztecSU said:

Toilet Bowl 2022

The Aztecs went the distance because Toledo went prevent. They had been stacking the box all day and blitzing. Going prevent gave BB lanes to run. It was nice to see two pass completions on the drive. Somehow, we overcame two false starts that put us in 2nd and goal from the 17. Yet, still scored.

Despite another offensive disaster, there is some hope for them.

"We don't have evidence but, we have lot's of theories."

Americans Mayor

On 9/26/2022 at 4:16 PM, Spaztecs said:

The Aztecs went the distance because Toledo went prevent. They had been stacking the box all day and blitzing. Going prevent gave BB lanes to run. It was nice to see two pass completions on the drive. Somehow, we overcame two false starts that put us in 2nd and goal from the 17. Yet, still scored.

I actually thought the DC for Toledo had to be kicking himself after the game. All they had to do was stick with the same approach. They believed we could throw(and it has to be asked, how/why?), which opened things up on the last drive and BB finally made some clutch plays with his legs and arm. I do think tempo will help the offense, but that last drive didnt convince BB can throw worth a crap. He can't. 

Most teams have stacked the line, clogged the middle of the field, and blitzed against us with Bachmeier. I envision a lot more option type plays with Holani and Green. They’ll have to spread out more with Green who is dangerous when he gets outside in an open field. It should help open up the inside running lanes for Holani. I think we’ll also see a lot of roll out type passing plays with Green. If no one is open tuck it and run, or throw it out of bounds. 

Green provides another run dimension that we didn’t have with Bachmeier and given Bachmeiers poor accuracy Greens passing can’t be any worse. The key with Green is to not force things and turn the ball over like Bachmeier tended to do. 

On 9/26/2022 at 4:16 PM, Spaztecs said:

They didn't go prevent at all.  Toledo brought 4-5 guys every play and played mostly cover 2-man and also cover 1.  

SDSU went to 10 personnel every play of that drive.  That was the difference.  Spreading the field out gave Burmeister time and lanes to throw and run.  The OL also had an easier time in pass pro as a result.  

No idea why Hecklinski insists on having to be in 12 and 11 personnel to run the ball.  It hasn't been very successful.  Actually I do have an idea - he's a dunce...