Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

halfmanhalfbronco

Avalos fires Plough! Dirk Koetter to take over as OC.

On 9/24/2022 at 3:36 PM, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Was talking to Top25 about this.  Having Koetter as your OC at this point in time is like having Brad Pitt be responsible for your wife's foot massages.  Andy's defense better be a whole lot better than yesterday.  

100%

its like that part in "the prince" where the Cesar Borgia has Ramirro Del Orco made ruler only to have him beheaded and assume power himself...lol

On 9/24/2022 at 5:08 PM, SAMO said:

100%

its like that part in "the prince" where the Cesar Borgia has Ramirro Del Orco made ruler only to have him beheaded and assume power himself...lol

If Andy can't get his defense more fired up I am fine with Koetter turning his skin into a dandy pair of riding pants.  

Anyone else think this is all a little too sketchy and too good to be true? Like maybe someone was sabotaging things behind the scenes to make this happen. I know Plough was pretty bad since the beginning, but that UTEP loss just seemed astronomically bad, like they somehow knew our game-plan and playcalls.

On 9/24/2022 at 5:11 PM, bsu_alum9 said:

Anyone else think this is all a little too sketchy and too good to be true? Like maybe someone was sabotaging things behind the scenes to make this happen. I know Plough was pretty bad since the beginning, but that UTEP loss just seemed astronomically bad, like they somehow knew our game-plan and playcalls.

thumbs-up-conspiracy.gif

On 9/24/2022 at 4:16 PM, BoiseStateOfMind said:

"Scapegoat" implies that Plough is getting unwarranted blame here. He was so bad, it's hard to even fairly evaluate Andy until we see what he does with a functioning offense.

Bad implication on my part if that's how you took it.   Andy is very culpable.  He hung on to Plough too long IMO and when he intervened it got worse.   Maybe it has taken this long to convince Dirk to come down from McCall.  It is getting near freezing up there at night now.

On 9/24/2022 at 3:16 PM, BoiseStateOfMind said:

"Scapegoat" implies that Plough is getting unwarranted blame here. He was so bad, it's hard to even fairly evaluate Andy until we see what he does with a functioning offense.

Wrong. HC hired the OC, you’ve gotten a look already. Did the university reach out to DK, or was it the HC. If I was a donk, that’s the question I’d be asking.

Mike Bronson, on 27 Sept 2013 - 8:45 PM, said:

Don't be mad because the refs are going to need Tommy John surgeries after this poorly played game.

mugtang, on 27 Sept 2013 - 8:49 PM, said:

Your mom is going to need Tommy John surgery after jerking me off all night.

Cartoon-21-Final.jpg

On 9/24/2022 at 5:34 PM, roughrider said:

Bad implication on my part if that's how you took it.   Andy is very culpable.  He hung on to Plough too long IMO and when he intervened it got worse.   Maybe it has taken this long to convince Dirk to come down from McCall.  It is getting near freezing up there at night now.

I'm not sure he coulda been coaxed in the off-season. He loves Boise and Boise State. I really think he couldn't stand that garbage as much as fans couldn't... only he could actually do something about it.

On 9/24/2022 at 6:12 PM, Dogs4Me said:

Wrong. HC hired the OC, you’ve gotten a look already. Did the university reach out to DK, or was it the HC. If I was a donk, that’s the question I’d be asking.

I don't give a shet. It's something we all hoped for, but wasn't sure was possible. It happened... that's what matters.

On 9/24/2022 at 6:12 PM, Dogs4Me said:

It's a win either way.  If it was Andy it shows he has the balls to fire a coordinator 15 games into his career.  It was our AD, it means that he will not tolerate poor play.  Koetter could get an OC job for pretty much any program in college football and many NFL teams.  I'm just happy he pities us and it's his sons last year of ball.  

On 9/24/2022 at 6:25 PM, halfmanhalfbronco said:

It's a win either way.  If it was Andy it shows he has the balls to fire a coordinator 15 games into his career.  It was our AD, it means that he will not tolerate poor play.  Koetter could get an OC job for pretty much any program in college football and many NFL teams.  I'm just happy he pities us and it's his sons last year of ball.  

Davis wants to be a college coach. Keotter might stay long enough to mentor his son until he gets his feet wet.

On 9/24/2022 at 6:32 PM, kingpotato said:

Davis wants to be a college coach. Keotter might stay long enough to mentor his son until he gets his feet wet.

That would be great.  If it means keeping Koetter for an additional offseason so he can actually implement his own offense and coach the QB's then hire Davis as a GA the day the season is over.  

On 9/24/2022 at 6:14 PM, kingpotato said:

I'm not sure he coulda been coaxed in the off-season. He loves Boise and Boise State. I really think he couldn't stand that garbage as much as fans couldn't... only he could actually do something about it.

Think you're right.  It took a lot to persuade him to 'consult' and his terms were in his favor for time spent.  

Heck maybe his wife is tired of him being around too much...but I bet he missed football and being around the guys too.

On 9/24/2022 at 1:37 PM, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Avalos showing he has the balls to make changes and is not devoted to any one coach.  Really good to see.  Not sure Koetter can fix the mess on offense given the lack of overall talent, but an NFL quality OC sure can not hurt.  

Ya I was kinda wondering that myself. I mean Koetter was already a consultant. So did he help in game prep and then TP just called horrible game? not sure. The Broncs are a mess right now and HB's confidence is really shaken.

On 9/24/2022 at 7:15 PM, bornontheblue said:

Crazy thing is how does SDSU prepare for this. Whst the hell is the offense gonna look like in next week's game. 

The offense still has a lot of warts, however, I think Koetter will get the best out of what he has, something Plough couldn’t do. I’m also confident he’ll call a better game than Plough who was horrible in that aspect. Green is also going to get professional level coaching that should help his development. 

On 9/24/2022 at 6:15 PM, bornontheblue said:

Crazy thing is how does SDSU prepare for this. Whst the hell is the offense gonna look like in next week's game. 

It’s going to look like the offense previously. You’re delusional if you think he’s going to install a brand new offense in less than a week. He’s got to run the same playbook that Plough ran. Otherwise your offense will be even worse than last week.

The only difference is going to be in play calling which is going to be a huge help. He’s not going to be able to “fix” the OL this far into the season. The talent on the OL is almost as bad as SDSU’s. You can’t fix that. You just need to call plays to ameliorate that deficiency. 

Expect heavy doses of Holani and lots of play action off of that. Non-play action passes will be quick hitters - what you used to see under Harsin and Peterson to a large extent. Hitches, swing passes, slants, etc.  

The SDSU coaching staff knows all of this so it won’t be much of a surprise. Koetter might be able to install five new plays this week - maybe. There’s just not enough time in the week to be able to install many new things.