Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TrueCoug

2 members of the Black 14 to be honored at LaVell Edwards Stadium

It's about time.

Completely sad and wrong they were suspended.

"We don't have evidence but, we have lot's of theories."

Americans Mayor

On 9/22/2022 at 10:42 PM, Spaztecs said:

It's about time.

Completely sad and wrong they were suspended.

The were kicked off the team not just suspended. I know it was a turbulent time with the Vietnam protests, the Democratic convention being a violent disaster, the height of the civil rights movement, campus sit-ins and protests all over the place. It’s just sad that the coach was so afraid of losing control of the team that he couldn’t see their valid issues with BYU. They just wanted the team to wear a black armband, it’s not like they were threatening to sit out the game. All they really did was ask a question and make a suggestion and the coach (Eaton) overreacted. 

On 9/22/2022 at 4:03 PM, TrueCoug said:

Two members of the Black 14, Mel Hamilton and John Griffin, are in Provo this week for various discussions and class presentations at BYU. They will be honored on the field at LaVell Edwards Stadium before the game and will be the Y Lighters.

I thought the Black 14 referred to the only black students to ever attend BYU. 

kat.jpg

On 9/22/2022 at 7:57 PM, misplacedcowboy said:

Pretty cool gesture. I believe their church has recently updated their view that the racist poliicy was not actually part of their doctrine and actually just a byproduct of racist leaders. Wonder how long it'll be until they change their namesake from said racist leader...

pretty much everyone was racist in the 1840s. Half the country had slaves I’m pretty sure he was against slavery and had better race tolerance than most the people back in those days. Judging people by 2022 standards seems pretty idiotic. 

Further more, this a great gesture and move by BYU. Unfortunately we always have people with hatred like you who try to stir the pot. 

Really not much difference between racist and haters like you.  Human behavior will never change. 

The Masters 5k road race All American.

On 9/23/2022 at 9:16 AM, Kirbycreekpoke said:

The were kicked off the team not just suspended. I know it was a turbulent time with the Vietnam protests, the Democratic convention being a violent disaster, the height of the civil rights movement, campus sit-ins and protests all over the place. It’s just sad that the coach was so afraid of losing control of the team that he couldn’t see their valid issues with BYU. They just wanted the team to wear a black armband, it’s not like they were threatening to sit out the game. All they really did was ask a question and make a suggestion and the coach (Eaton) overreacted. 

They even said upfront that he can say no and that would be the end of it. Sounds like he had some “know your place” tendencies.