Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Nevada Convert

“Scientists” Reach New Level of Stupidity: Claim They Know There’s 20,000,000,000,000,000 Ants On Earth

On 9/22/2022 at 9:07 AM, utenation said:

I’ve noticed many, many republicans fear science because they probably aren’t/weren’t smart enough to get good grades and truly understand it. 

Therefore, what do most folks that fear something do?  Try with extra passion to discredit said info without facts. 

I also agree. Look up “Centrist” in the dictionary and Convert’s picture is all over the place next to the definition. 

I’ll never understand small minded partisan hacks like yourself that see things so polarized. Uneducated people exist in droves on both sides of the political spectrum. Yes, the white trailer trash right wing folks aren’t the smartest people. But neither are a lot of the minorities in urban America. There’s plenty of ignorance on science everywhere, not just your partisan stereotypes. 

In this case, I don’t think you’re trolling. I think you really believe this, and you think I’m dumb. I might not be the brightest bulb in the lamp shop, but I ain’t dim. LOL. Alright, happy, and halfman are mods and they can look up my name. Plug my name in here with 1997 NV Beta. They still have me living in KS, but that’s OK.  https://www.tbp.org/memb/memberLookup.cfm

kat.jpg

On 9/22/2022 at 8:41 AM, halfmanhalfbronco said:

US taxpayers gave a grant the University of Würzburg?

Convert, you realize we have scientific estimates for the number of stars, the total neutrino mass in the universe, number of black holes and even possible alien civilizations, right?  I don't think you get numbers, or estimates. 

In the cat thread you said getting a range on number of birds killed a year would be as impossible as getting an estimate on the grains of sand along the California coast.  Look, I can do that right now.  

The average grain of sand is 100 microns across.  Let's assume an average beech width of 100 meters and depth of 10 meters . 100 microns would be 10,000 grains per linear meter, 10,000 squared per square meter and 10,000 cubed per cubic meter. That’s a trillion per cubic meter. The beach is 100 x 10 meters of sand per meter of coastline… that’s 1000 trillion grains per meter of coastline, or a quadrillion grains per meter of coastline. There are roughly 1,350,000 meters of coastline in California.  So the math would look something like this 

1.35^6(10^15)= 13,500,000,000,000,000,000,000 grains of sand roughly on the coastlines of California.  

Didn't even need a big fat grant!

@TheSanDiegan or @happycamper or @grandjean87 can check my work

Now that was funny. Thanks for that.

The biggest problem with these junk science estimates is that some people take them seriously and make policy based on them. 

kat.jpg

On 9/22/2022 at 1:38 PM, Nevada Convert said:

I don’t think you get reality. You can estimate anything you want, but if there’s no way to know it’s even remotely accurate, you’re just pushing junk science which is propaganda. 

I really don't think you get numbers.  

On 9/22/2022 at 12:45 PM, happycamper said:

I mean there's lots of ways lmao. especially for something as relatively easy as ant populations when we know

average ant #s per colony

average ant colonies per acre of certain habitat

area of certain habitat

i mean jesus convert this is simpler than the work put in to figure out lateral earth pressure

You don’t know an average number of ant colonies in a certain habitat. There’s just way too many variables in play. There will certainly be some habitats where you’ll know a lot more about than others. There are also lots of dynamic variables within certain habitats, or sub habitats, that dramatically affect the number of ants in a given year. 

And there are certain areas of the world that aren’t very accessible and haven’t been studied. The problem is your making huge assumptions by labeling habitats with a fixed number, and then all the error in those assumptions gets multiplied a gazillion times for a worldwide number. The closer you look at these “habitat averages” the more you should realize how impossible it is to remotely come up with a number.

At least some “studies will give you a “min. to max.” range to reflect how much they really don’t know.  You don’t say, the number of lizards in the US ranges from 10 million to 10 trillion, so the actual number is 10 billion. LOL. 

kat.jpg

On 9/22/2022 at 2:02 PM, Nevada Convert said:

I’ll never understand small minded partisan hacks like yourself that see things so polarized. Uneducated people exist in droves on both sides of the political spectrum. Yes, the white trailer trash right wing folks aren’t the smartest people. But neither are a lot of the minorities in urban America. There’s plenty of ignorance on science everywhere, not just your partisan stereotypes. 

In this case, I don’t think you’re trolling. I think you really believe this, and you think I’m dumb. I might not be the brightest bulb in the lamp shop, but I ain’t dim. LOL. Alright, happy, and halfman are mods and they can look up my name. Plug my name in here with 1997 NV Beta. They still have me living in KS, but that’s OK.  https://www.tbp.org/memb/memberLookup.cfm

I read a stat awhile ago that about 1/3 of MAGAs have/had even attempted some college. I'm sure that number goes way down on graduations.

And yes Convert, as much as you try to fool people, you are a deep red MAGA that hates everything about Joe Biden, even if it's factual good news.

On 9/22/2022 at 1:02 PM, Nevada Convert said:

Season 4 Wow GIF by The Office

On 9/22/2022 at 3:04 PM, Nevada Convert said:

You don’t know an average number of ant colonies in a certain habitat. There’s just way too many variables in play. There will certainly be some habitats where you’ll know a lot more about than others. There are also lots of dynamic variables within certain habitats, or sub habitats, that dramatically affect the number of ants in a given year. 

And there are certain areas of the world that aren’t very accessible and haven’t been studied. The problem is your making huge assumptions by labeling habitats with a fixed number, and then all the error in those assumptions gets multiplied a gazillion times for a worldwide number. The closer you look at these “habitat averages” the more you should realize how impossible it is to remotely come up with a number.

At least some “studies will give you a “min. to max.” range to reflect how much they really don’t know.  You don’t say, the number of lizards in the US ranges from 10 million to 10 trillion, so the actual number is 10 billion. LOL. 

This study analyzed research on local ant populations from nearly every corner of the globe to come up with their number and in the conclusion they do note that estimate they came up with was very conservative.

If the methodology is very flawed like you state, these studies would not pass peer review. 

On 9/22/2022 at 3:02 PM, Nevada Convert said:

Are you sure?  I typed 'Troll' into the search engine, but it had you in Virginia, not Kansas.

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

On 9/22/2022 at 3:23 PM, halfmanhalfbronco said:

This study analyzed research on local ant populations from nearly every corner of the globe to come up with their number and in the conclusion they do note that estimate they came up with was very conservative.

If the methodology is very flawed like you state, these studies would not pass peer review. 

You know, if not for Adam Levine this would be the most important thread going. 

On 9/22/2022 at 12:38 PM, Nevada Convert said:

I don’t think you get reality. You can estimate anything you want, but if there’s no way to know it’s even remotely accurate, you’re just pushing junk science which is propaganda. 

You’re really showing your ignorance on this one Contard. There’s nothing unscientific about an estimate as long as the assumptions are spelled out and logical. One can examine the assumptions and explicitly adjust them, obviously changing the ultimate estimate. This is basic stuff. 

Thay Haif Said: Quhat Say Thay? Lat Thame Say

On 9/22/2022 at 1:38 PM, Nevada Convert said:

These scientists are just pawns of big ant!! 

On 9/22/2022 at 3:33 PM, Old_SD_Dude said:

You’re really showing your ignorance on this one Contard. There’s nothing unscientific about an estimate as long as the assumptions are spelled out and logical. One can examine the assumptions and explicitly adjust them, obviously changing the ultimate estimate. This is basic stuff. 

The assumptions are not logical. That’s the obvious flaw in all this. 

kat.jpg