Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

idkk

SDSU QB likely to transfer

On 9/20/2022 at 10:24 AM, SDSUfan said:

Last years 12-2 is looking like the fluke. We were .500 the year before and missed a bowl game for the first time in forever. Staff got the COVID pass.

We caught a down AZ. We caught a down UT but were basically blown out once they corrected their QB mistake. Escaped with a win. Fresno made us look silly as did UT State.  

When you have to rely on your defense and special teams to score, you're doing it wrong.

We'll win some games if for no other reason than the rest of the conference seems down.  But that's not the standard.

I am going to disagree.

Losing the quality of players we did to graduation/NFL is tough when you're a P5. It's even harder at this level.

We are starting two RSnFeosh in the o-line and a 3rd starter had little experience.

Like I said, the schedule eases up and we will get better.

"We don't have evidence but, we have lot's of theories."

Americans Mayor

On 9/20/2022 at 8:40 AM, utenation said:

So if they felt that way in the week leading up to the game, why even put Haskell in before Crum? 

If it’s time for a back up, you put your best guy in first. All that’s going to do is piss off the kid you pulled out for no good reason.

Speculation is that the staff thought Burmeister would only be out a series and Haskell had more game experience than Crum so they put him in for just that one series.  Once Burmeister wasn't able to come back they switched to Crum.

I don't agree with it at all and it shows the incompetence of the OC.  Haskell is gone most likely and I don't disagree with his decision to leave as I'd do the same given who he has as a coach.  This OC has no business being an OC anywhere.  His track record is horrendous but he is BFF's with Hoke and will do what Hoke wants.  When Hoke was at Michigan he was forced to fire his OC Borges and the AD hired Nussmeier from Bama to replace Borges.  That left a bad taste in Hoke's mouth and he specifically said when he announced his staff at SDSU and demoted Horton from OC to RB's that he wanted coordinators who were his guys that he could trust.  

Hoke won't fire Hecklinski IMO and if he is forced to he will quit.

On 9/20/2022 at 9:50 AM, Fowl said:

Speculation is that the staff thought Burmeister would only be out a series and Haskell had more game experience than Crum so they put him in for just that one series.  Once Burmeister wasn't able to come back they switched to Crum.

I don't agree with it at all and it shows the incompetence of the OC.  Haskell is gone most likely and I don't disagree with his decision to leave as I'd do the same given who he has as a coach.  This OC has no business being an OC anywhere.  His track record is horrendous but he is BFF's with Hoke and will do what Hoke wants.  When Hoke was at Michigan he was forced to fire his OC Borges and the AD hired Nussmeier from Bama to replace Borges.  That left a bad taste in Hoke's mouth and he specifically said when he announced his staff at SDSU and demoted Horton from OC to RB's that he wanted coordinators who were his guys that he could trust.  

If that's true, the JDW is in quite the pickle.  That is an agreement I likely would not have agreed to.  I don't want an Auburn situation where the boosters completely dictate the supporting staff, but the AD needs the ability to say that this part isn't working, fix it or I'll do it for you.  

On 9/20/2022 at 10:50 AM, Fowl said:

Going to be fun when the Broncos and Aztecs meet. The offense that scores ten points wins. 

On 9/20/2022 at 9:35 AM, Spaztecs said:

I am going to disagree.

Losing the quality of players we did to graduation/NFL is tough when you're a P5. It's even harder at this level.

We are starting two RSnFeosh in the o-line and a 3rd starter had little experience.

Like I said, the schedule eases up and we will get better.

My natural inclination is to remain optimistic but when does optimism become delusion?  I just need a glimmer of a hope of an indication that our offense is making progress and I just don't see it. It's literally been years.

“Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.”

-Richard Feynman

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."

-P.J. O’Rourke

On 9/20/2022 at 5:07 AM, utgrizfan said:

Anyone know why he was pulled after one series?

Per East Village Times, here is a possible explanation:

"Without confirmation from the coaching staff, signs point to a very simple explanation of why Haskell went in for a series. Before the staff knew the extent of Burmeister’s injury, they elected to put Haskell in because his experience made him a better fit to play a few snaps before handing the ball back to Burmeister. When it became apparent their starter would be out for the game, they turned to Crum, the player they thought would be better overall. 

Haskell’s three snaps could be summed up by one word, “uncompetitive.” On the first two plays, he missed very obvious reads, setting up his running backs for punishment. His final play, he did not even attempt to get away from the pressure, choosing instead to throw a short pass that had no chance of success."

https://www.eastvillagetimes.com/mr-garrisons-sdsu-aztecs-grades-week-3-vs-utah/

On 9/20/2022 at 8:51 AM, East Coast Aztec said:

You are not worthy of MD in your name if you cannot notice a decade of terrible offense continuously getting bailed out by another squandered great defense.  The Arizona loss wasn't "flukey".  We got beat in every facet of the game.  Two games?  You wanna go with two games of this shit offense?  You wanna to go Ray Charles on a decade of relying on run and defense, and speak nothing to more of the same (or regression) on the offensive side of the ball?  Take a lap, dunce.

The offense has been tough to watch but if you think Hoke is getting canned anytime soon you are truly clueless.   I agree that the OC should be fired if there isn’t marked improvement by year end.  It funny to see all the message board warriors demanding heads roll where our record the last 17 games is 13-4.  “Fire the coaches or you lose me as a fan!!!”   Lol.  

A back-up QB being disenchanted with being a back up isn't completely unusual. So it's not really news.

The fact that the coaching staff pulled the guy after one series is a bit odd and of course does seem like it would piss off pretty much anyone that it happened to... It's definitely something that seems like it wasn't well thought out from a coaching perspective.

The bigger question for SDSU seems to be why are they so inept on the offensive end of things... why do all of their qb's look unprepared and over-matched? 

I'm not a football expert by any stretch of the imagination but it sure does seem like it might be somewhat coaching related.

On 9/20/2022 at 10:30 AM, AztecMD said:

The offense has been tough to watch but if you think Hoke is getting canned anytime soon you are truly clueless.   I agree that the OC should be fired if there isn’t marked improvement by year end.  It funny to see all the message board warriors demanding heads roll where our record the last 17 games is 13-4.  “Fire the coaches or you lose me as a fan!!!”   Lol.  

I am not lost as a fan, moron.  I am lost as a viewer, as I will spend my time watching my other programs that don't frustrate me over years watching inept passing plays.  Pretty simple concept, I thought even you could understand how viewership works.  But alas, here you are, defending a gaggle of poor offensive coaches in your quest to show... loyalty?  

On 9/20/2022 at 10:32 AM, Someone Else said:

1. The fact that the coaching staff pulled the guy after one series is a bit odd and of course does seem like it would piss off pretty much anyone that it happened to... It's definitely something that seems like it wasn't well thought out from a coaching perspective.

2. The bigger question for SDSU seems to be why are they so inept on the offensive end of things... why do all of their qb's look unprepared and over-matched? 

I'm not a football expert by any stretch of the imagination but it sure does seem like it might be somewhat coaching related.

1. I actually do think they thought Burmeister was only going to be out for one series. You could tell he got hit in the face and it was painful. However, no penalty was called and how many of us who have played a lot of sports haven't been hit in the eye and it simply stings for awhile? (And don't anybody take this comment as strident defense of Jeff Hecklinski who is a miserable OC and needs to be replaced immediately.)

2. SDSU has been stuck in a Rocky Long offensive mindset for many years. It worked well for several years when we had an excellent line and RBs like Donnel Pumphrey and Rashaad Penny but now our O-linemen and RBs are simply satisfactory and every team we play knows how to stop that offense. How do we win when we do? Excellent defense and excellent special teams. As to Hecklinski, he grooms QBs as if they were donkeys.

On 9/20/2022 at 10:52 AM, East Coast Aztec said:

I am not lost as a fan, moron.  I am lost as a viewer, as I will spend my time watching my other programs that don't frustrate me over years watching inept passing plays.  Pretty simple concept, I thought even you could understand how viewership works.  But alas, here you are, defending a gaggle of poor offensive coaches in your quest to show... loyalty?  

I’m not defending the offense, as I mentioned if it’s not improved my the end of the year the offensive coordinator should be fired and significant changes should be made.  I’m laughing at your knee jerk reaction that the entire staff should be fired or your going to take your ball and go home.  We are just three games into the season after a 12 win season and top #25 ranking.  Hoke won’t feel any heat unless he loses big this year as well as next year.  But hey if making threats on message boards that no one cares about makes you feel better then more power to you.  Just don’t kick your dog when it doesn’t happen.  

On 9/20/2022 at 11:46 AM, AztecMD said:

I’m not defending the offense, as I mentioned if it’s not improved my the end of the year the offensive coordinator should be fired and significant changes should be made.  I’m laughing at your knee jerk reaction that the entire staff should be fired or your going to take your ball and go home.  We are just three games into the season after a 12 win season and top #25 ranking.  Hoke won’t feel any heat unless he loses big this year as well as next year.  But hey if making threats on message boards that no one cares about makes you feel better then more power to you.  Just don’t kick your dog when it doesn’t happen.  

Why would I kick a dog?  If the offense is so horrific it loses a viewer who is a member of the Aztec Club, a season ticket holder that I use to ensure some of my finicky buddies in SD still go to a game, and go to a game any time they are within 300 miles from me, perhaps that is more telling of what is presented, not who is viewing it.  If you are fine with the offensive scheme, primarily passing (already outlined in this thread, which given your post you were incapable of either reading or comprehending), more power to you.  I have other teams that don't make me want to "make threats" and "kick dogs".  Your content with these things, and being fine with it let's us know more about how you view what SDSU can be versus what others view it can be and are frustrated that people are fine with a #25 ranking, and a Frisco bowl trophy as a high water mark, instead of getting even an average passing game to go along with a phenomenal defense that has carried this team across the goal line.  I guess I should have waited 11 years for my knee jerk reaction on not wanting to watch the offense be more of the same (or worse).  My bad.

I 100% understand the frustration of Aztec fans and the putrid offense.  These coaches get paid too much money to continue to put out such atrocious offenses and limit the ceiling of the program. 

@East Coast Aztecis right.  SDSU has squandered some great defenses because of one of your coaches philosophy and perhaps this staff is struggling due to ineptness (or maybe philosophy).  Either way, it is unacceptable to put such a shit product on the field when you have such talent available to you.  There is no excuse for it. 

An off year or two happens, but every year for how long now is just craziness.  

On 9/20/2022 at 12:14 PM, East Coast Aztec said:

SDUT states Haskell is in the portal.  GoAztecs had Haskell and Crum as the QB2 going into Toledo.  So they couldn't even say Crum is the 2, though they finished the game with him.   This Haskell thing is just strange.  

The new normal. Unfortunately. 

On 9/20/2022 at 10:00 AM, SDSUfan said:

My natural inclination is to remain optimistic but when does optimism become delusion?  I just need a glimmer of a hope of an indication that our offense is making progress and I just don't see it. It's literally been years.

At a certain point you need to embrace who you are. Bring back the wing T.

Alan Tudyk Dancing GIF by DOOM PATROL