Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Wyobraska

Wyoming @ BYU Game Thread 8:15 PM MT ESPN2

On 9/25/2022 at 12:13 AM, son of a gun said:

When has that EVER happened?

The same year Uncle Rico was snubbed out of a starting spot in the state championship. 

There are only two things I can't stand in this world: people who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch. 

On 9/25/2022 at 8:08 AM, Wyoguns said:

Now that I’ve sobered up and can think objectively I think the Pikes played fairly well.  I’m not big on moral victories and we have some weak spots in our game but overall I’m encouraged.

If we can improve each week I think we can compete for the Mountain Division.  We are obviously young but if we keep slowly improving and the transfer portal doesn’t bite us in the ass the next couple of years is going to be fun.

Objectively this BYU team is better than Illinois….so I think we can say this team is getting better as the season moves forward. That being said, SJSU is actually a very big game next week and could determine how the rest of the year plays out. 

After the Hosers we have 4 very winnable games leading up to Boise. I’d love for that game to matter but if we take a step back or lay an egg next week it will be a struggle to be near the top of the division in November. 

On 9/25/2022 at 12:44 AM, Subcanis said:

That punt on 4th bugs me.  I just don’t see the downside of going for it.  Coming up short doesn’t really increase the odds of a loss, maybe just the magnitude.  But not going for it drastically decreased any (admittedly minute) chance of winning.  I don’t know if Bohl was trying for a “better loss” or he had no faith in the guys or or his system or what, but in my eyes that was him quitting the game. 

I’m super curious how that goes over in the locker room. 

I think you go for that too.

Image result for jim mcmahon with lavell edwardsImage result for byu logoImage result for byu boise state end zone hail maryc07489bb8bb7f5bad3672877f8b04f34.jpg

On 9/25/2022 at 12:44 AM, Subcanis said:

That punt on 4th bugs me.  I just don’t see the downside of going for it.  Coming up short doesn’t really increase the odds of a loss, maybe just the magnitude.  But not going for it drastically decreased any (admittedly minute) chance of winning.  I don’t know if Bohl was trying for a “better loss” or he had no faith in the guys or or his system or what, but in my eyes that was him quitting the game. 

I’m super curious how that goes over in the locker room. 

I agree.  You can't be ultra conservative and win when you are behind.   I really wish he could get more aggressive at times.  

I think he was relying too much on the defense when BYU clearly had stuff working against the Pokes secondary and the DLine couldn't ever get home. 

On 9/25/2022 at 9:28 AM, Kirbycreekpoke said:

Objectively this BYU team is better than Illinois….so I think we can say this team is getting better as the season moves forward. That being said, SJSU is actually a very big game next week and could determine how the rest of the year plays out. 

After the Hosers we have 4 very winnable games leading up to Boise. I’d love for that game to matter but if we take a step back or lay an egg next week it will be a struggle to be near the top of the division in November. 

SJSU has won 4 out of the last 5 against Wyoming as well.  Bohl seems to have a problem with them through a few different coaches. 

Big game for sure.

On 9/25/2022 at 9:33 AM, Jack Bauer said:

I think you go for that too.

It’s one of the really frustrating things about coach B. He is just so risk averse….he consistently punts late in games when trailing,  anything over 4th and two feet in positive territory is a punt. He’s won way more football games than any of us fans but it does get annoying. 

On 9/25/2022 at 9:28 AM, Jack Bauer said:

The AD said we're planning on it just lats night. You guys are always looking for something to be mad about.

Who said I’m mad about it?

"I never saw a buckin' hoss to top Steamboat. Fact is, he was the closest thing to perpetual motion that ever wore hair. Few men could stand that kind of battering without bleeding from the nose, and most became nauseated as well. Ol' Steamboat put some of the toughest into the hospital for repairs."

On 9/25/2022 at 9:21 AM, Jack Bauer said:

WTF does this even mean? Do Bee?

I think you should grow the hell up at some point

Ridiculous child.

Romper Room was a children's show on PBS before anyone heard of a muppet. Good behavior was its aim as well as simple education. A child with good behavior was a "Do Bee." The song lyrics speak for themselves.

You stench simpletons have believed yourselves incapable of wrong action longer than I've been alive. You deserve to be mocked. "We never do anything wrong" was aspirational, not definitional.

Zoobie = Do Bee, and the Zoobie child who believes he cannot make a bad choice and looks down on everyone else as "Don't Bees."

Own your dysfunction, stench dweller. Own it.

You keep using that word. I do not think that word means what you think it means.

On 9/24/2022 at 11:59 PM, misplacedcowboy said:

Just got back to the hotel. Those long ESPN timeouts really make these late games drag.

Seems pretty clear than the secondary (CB especially) is the weak point of this wyoming team. D-line didn't do any favors with the lack of pass rush, but those guys got burned nearly every time BYU pushed it downfield.

All that said, winning last week and having a pulse on the road this week makes me almost optimistic about this team.

Tonight was also a good reminder of how unintelligent BYU fans are. Somehow, they felt the need to boo the refs off the field tonight? 

The Cowboy secondary is not experienced for sure.  That said, Jaren Hall with all day in the pocket placed most all his passes where the Cowboy defenders had little if any chance to touch them.  Give Hall and his o-line credit.  Pretty sure with time in the pocket Hall and his receivers have the ability to pick apart most any secondary in the MWC.

With the lack of experience on this Cowboy team there is reason to be optimistic with how they are improving thus far.  I’m more concerned with Coach Bohl’s lack of confidence by punting, not attempting the on-side and how we too often call somewhat gimmick offensive plays on long distance downs rather than just give Pease the green light to throw with authority/confidence.  Wyomings WR’s and Pease’s arm are average at best.  That said, I think the coaching staffs lack of confidence in the passing game rubs off on the players and they perform to that low expectation.

On 9/25/2022 at 9:39 AM, Wyobraska said:

I agree.  You can't be ultra conservative and win when you are behind.   I really wish he could get more aggressive at times.  

I think he was relying too much on the defense when BYU clearly had stuff working against the Pokes secondary and the DLine couldn't ever get home. 

I felt like BYU had your D figured in the 2nd half, and so you guys were going to have to take some chances on 4th down or a fake punt or something to get back in to it.

Good game to you guys. It was a good atmosphere at the game. My son and I had a good time. I am tired today.

Image result for jim mcmahon with lavell edwardsImage result for byu logoImage result for byu boise state end zone hail maryc07489bb8bb7f5bad3672877f8b04f34.jpg

On 9/25/2022 at 10:14 AM, USU78 said:

Ridiculous child.

Romper Room was a children's show on PBS before anyone heard of a muppet. Good behavior was its aim as well as simple education. A child with good behavior was a "Do Bee." The song lyrics speak for themselves.

You stench simpletons have believed yourselves incapable of wrong action longer than I've been alive. You deserve to be mocked. "We never do anything wrong" was aspirational, not definitional.

Zoobie = Do Bee, and the Zoobie child who believes he cannot make a bad choice and looks down on everyone else as "Don't Bees."

Own your dysfunction, stench dweller. Own it.

You're a strange fellow with a strange obsession. You should grow up at some point.

On 9/25/2022 at 10:47 AM, NorthWestCowboy said:

That said, I think the coaching staffs lack of confidence in the passing game rubs off on the players and they perform to that low expectation.

Self-fulfilling prophecy. 

"I never saw a buckin' hoss to top Steamboat. Fact is, he was the closest thing to perpetual motion that ever wore hair. Few men could stand that kind of battering without bleeding from the nose, and most became nauseated as well. Ol' Steamboat put some of the toughest into the hospital for repairs."

On 9/25/2022 at 10:14 AM, USU78 said:

You stench simpletons have believed yourselves incapable of wrong action longer than I've been alive. 

If you’re going to use fifty cent words, try to employ them in a manner that avoids the self-own. A stench is a noun like a cow is a noun, and Logan is now known as Webertown.  Feel free to sing that phrase to the tune of “My sister looks hot when she’s ironing my overalls” while you donate plasma.

I was impressed with Wyoming’s OLine, their running game and their defensive line - those young DTs are big, and tough, and they never quit. The lack of a legitimate deep passing game is the team’s biggest weakness, and that’s what led to BYU feeling more comfortable stacking the box in the second half. BYU is really injury cursed this year. Fortunately for the Cougars, Jaren is really good, as evidenced by his ability to punish the blitzes with bullet passes, and there are several young skill players who are emerging.

Wyoming fans are fun and boisterous in person. Have a good season Pokes!

Go Cougars

This my take on Wyoming 

Run defense was solid. BYU struggling to run the ball until Davis exploded. They stop us as well as Baylor and Oregon.

Pass rush. BYU’s pass protection has been outstanding this year.  No one has been able to get a lot of pressure on Hall. They did about as well as the other teams did.

secondary. Hall and the receivers made some NFL type throws and catches that were defended well. They did get burned a few times.

Overall I thought the defense was solid. Not getting pressure hurt but when they blitzed they got burned but again BYUs pass protection is as good as I have ever seen it.

offense

1st quarter Wyoming manhandled BYU. More so than Oregon did. BYU finally stacked the box and held them to under 3 yards a carry the rest of the game. 

I think Wyomings ability to run the ball along with a decent passing game will make them a tough out from here on out. 

If Wyoming plays well they win out. Nobody plays well 9 games in a row. They will have a couple off games and lose at least 2 more. 

The Masters 5k road race All American.

On 9/25/2022 at 12:12 AM, Rebels18 said:

Good one ol' timer. Haven't heard that one since the Jurassic Age. 

You cowgirls jokes are as old and tired as your geriatric fan base. Getting boatraced by BYU? Embarrassing 

Once again its up to UNLV to carry this shitheap of a conference 

+++++ing LOL. ONCE AGAIN. Please, son.