Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Wyobraska

Wyoming @ BYU Game Thread 8:15 PM MT ESPN2

Another inconvenient tidbit from the link provided earlier on the topic for the folks who claim that the only reason BYU went Independent was because Utah went to the PAC10:

https://www.deseret.com/sports/2020/8/29/21404261/byu-football-byu-independence-the-project-byu-mountain-west-conference-karl-benson

Emails showed the parties involved discussed it for weeks — even before BYU’s biggest rival, Utah, bolted the Mountain West for the Pac-12. 

BYU was exploring Independence and making plans with the WAC before Utah even bolted to the PAC???  So the idea that BYU wouldn’t have gone Independent if Utah hadn’t gone to the PAC is proven to be just another MWCBoard fairytale.

@King Spartan

@AztecSU

v0icAvfW.jpg

On 9/23/2022 at 9:39 AM, TCU Robert said:

the project was designed to screw Boise State, by Utah State

Utah State wanted to be in a conference with BYU

BYU needed a home for basketball so it could go independent

Wyoming was not mentioned in the emails, only that they were glad to screw over Boise State.

here are the emails after doing a google search

https://archive.sltrib.com/article.php?id=50175456&itype=CMSID

Thanks for reposting. Jesus, was I really in my 30s when that happened?

On 9/23/2022 at 11:44 AM, NorCalCoug said:

Not nearly as sad and delusional as the inability of folks to provide any proof to back up their claim of BYU actively recruiting teams to come with them.

We don’t need no stinkin facts!  BYU is the bad guy in every scenario!  Deal with it!

On 9/23/2022 at 10:50 AM, NorCalCoug said:

Another inconvenient tidbit from the link provided earlier on the topic for the folks who claim that the only reason BYU went Independent was because Utah went to the PAC10:

https://www.deseret.com/sports/2020/8/29/21404261/byu-football-byu-independence-the-project-byu-mountain-west-conference-karl-benson

Emails showed the parties involved discussed it for weeks — even before BYU’s biggest rival, Utah, bolted the Mountain West for the Pac-12. 

BYU was exploring Independence and making plans with the WAC before Utah even bolted to the PAC???  So the idea that BYU wouldn’t have gone Independent if Utah hadn’t gone to the PAC is proven to be just another MWCBoard fairytale.

@King Spartan

@AztecSU

This really bugs you huh?

On 9/23/2022 at 9:06 AM, madmartigan said:

I don't understand why BYU fans have a hard time grasping why former conference mates would be upset with them regarding the project. BYU was looking out for its own best interests. BYU and USU worked together to bring a few MW schools to the WAC where BYU could park their Olys + a scheduling agreement for football and have the ESPN TV deal they lacked in the MW. This would mean a weakening  or destruction of the MW- a conference they were in at the time and had been in for quite some time. Poaching teams from the MW for this new conference felt like betrayal to the other members of the MW. Anything here that's not well founded or controversial? 

On 9/22/2022 at 4:03 PM, OrediggerPoke said:

I can see that logic is as strong as ever at byu... To be honest, I don't know why I am even wasting the time responding to this.

#1) Utah State didn't spearhead anything. There is absolutely no question on who spearheaded the project.

#2) Utah State had no relationship, was not a partner with nor a conference member of the Mountain West Conference. The fact that Utah State, in a different conference, discussed and was welcoming of an in-state school to bring its sports to its conference is to be expected and is absolutely irrelevant.  However, given the typical byu ethics that has been displayed for decades, it is not surprising that you can't see the difference at all between Utah State's actions and the actions of a conference member and partner with the other schools in the MWC actively trying to blow up that relationship thereby leaving certain schools on an island to die. With 'partners' like those, who needs enemies?

Right - Karl Benson and the WAC presidents (primarily Albrecht at Utah State):

https://archive.sltrib.com/article.php?id=50185374&itype=CMSID

Having received authorization from the WAC's board of directors (presidents) to proceed with the plan, Benson was originally turned away by BYU officials when it was suggested they might want to join the league they left in 1999 to form the MWC along with the University of Utah and others.

• Nevada President Milt Glick was the first on record to use the code name "The Project" for the proposal to snare BYU. Ironically, Glick played a major role in scuttling the deal when both his institution and Fresno State accepted the MWC's invitation.

Benson and USU President Stan Albrecht approached BYU a second time, about two weeks after the June 16 announcement that Utah was joining the Pac-10, and learned that BYU "was already exploring the possibility of going independent in football and looking for somewhere else to park its other 18 teams."

The WAC not only discussed getting BYU, it also talked about luring San Diego State, UNLV and UTEP to form a 12-team league in football. An e-mail obtained by The Tribune from Nevada athletic director Cary Groth to USU athletic director Scott Barnes indicates UNLV, at least, was never seriously interested.

Benson, Albrecht, and the rest of the WAC were trying to cripple the MW.  BYU even initially turned down Benson and the WAC.  Who talked about getting SDSU, UNLV, etc.?  The WAC - not BYU.

On 9/23/2022 at 9:50 AM, bornontheblue said:

Wasn't their an email uncovered that showed the Utah State president had less than good things to say about it after the Thompson blew up the deal. 

My recollection was that Albrecht was hoping Boise State would have to return to the WAC.  Here's what he said when he thought the deal was going to go through:

Utah State University President Stan Albrecht gleefully wrote in an Aug. 17 e-mail that Boise State University President Bob Kustra's "world is crumbling around him and he is desperate."

https://archive.sltrib.com/story.php?ref=/sltrib/sports/50175456-77/wac-byu-albrecht-benson.html.csp

His demeanor was much different after the defections of Nevada and Fresno State:

And the night ended with a note from Michael Kennedy, USU vice president for federal and state relations, to Albrecht as he watched Thompson's news conference announcing the two additions: "I'm watching the [Mountain West Television Network] and feeling sick to my stomach. Any silver lining?"

Albrecht's reply: "Unfortunately, no. Thompson hasn't returned my call. Not a good sign."

On 9/23/2022 at 11:58 AM, NorCalCoug said:

Nope, just showing you that you are wrong.

Not really. BYU investing their indy options when there are rumors they are about to be left in the dust circulating is not a surprise. And I still say that if Utah stayed so would've BYU. The fact you care about this at all says a lot. 

On 9/23/2022 at 1:34 PM, AztecSU said:

Not really. BYU investing their indy options when there are rumors they are about to be left in the dust circulating is not a surprise. And I still say that if Utah stayed so would've BYU. The fact you care about this at all says a lot. 

The fact that you and others still obsess about reasons for BYU decisions from 10+ years ago says a lot too.

v0icAvfW.jpg

On 9/23/2022 at 1:12 PM, NorCalCoug said:

The fact that you and others still obsess about reasons for BYU decisions from 10+ years ago says a lot too.

You're the one tagging people into threads they're not in. I agreed with a Spartan fan that BYU wouldnt have left if UU stayed and you are clearly worked up about it. If its not true just move on man, its not hard. 

On 9/23/2022 at 2:40 PM, Wyobraska said:

@Jack Bauer @NorCalCoug

Did your Online just have an off game against Oregon or was the Oregon DLine that good?  

I think how well the Wyoming DLine plays will go a long way in knowing if this will be a game or not.

The Oline has provide awesome pass protection all season but they struggle with the run game.  That was true even against Oregon.  I don’t know what the issue is there.  On paper this is the best BYU Oline in forever.

v0icAvfW.jpg

On 9/23/2022 at 2:51 PM, NorCalCoug said:

The Oline has provide awesome pass protection all season but they struggle with the run game.  That was true even against Oregon.  I don’t know what the issue is there.  On paper this is the best BYU Oline in forever.

BYU was outplayed all over the field.  Oregon has a lot of talent. They aren’t in Georgia’s weight class for sure but I think they’re better than what they showed in that game.

The huge X factor for Oregon is Bo Nix. Completely unpredictable. Joe Montana one game and a head scratcher the next. 

Bo had a good game against BYU. Your two best WR’s and two starting DE’s out didn’t help your cause.

That's why I was surprised that they struggled some in that game, they have looked really good otherwise.  

I haven't had a chance to really watch Oregon much so wasn't sure if they had some badass guys on their line.  I'm sure BYUs line is going to be a  tough task for Wyoming.

On 9/23/2022 at 3:27 PM, Wyobraska said:

That's why I was surprised that they struggled some in that game, they have looked really good otherwise.  

I haven't had a chance to really watch Oregon much so wasn't sure if they had some badass guys on their line.  I'm sure BYUs line is going to be a  tough task for Wyoming.

I watched the Baylor game and BYU is every bit of a 3 TD favorite over us. If we play 10 times they win 8 or 9. I’m hoping for the 1 or 2  of course but I’m really interested to see if we have taken a big step forward since Illinois. If we can get push with the o-line and keep progressing with the controlled passing game it bodes well for the conference slate. I want to see if our young D-ends can generate some pressure without rushing 5 or 6, and help the backend of the defense. That’s really what I’m hoping to get out of this game.  A win would be legendary but this isn’t the 1996 or the 1988 pokes. 

On 9/23/2022 at 3:21 PM, utenation said:

BYU was outplayed all over the field.  Oregon has a lot of talent. They aren’t in Georgia’s weight class for sure but I think they’re better than what they showed in that game.

The huge X factor for Oregon is Bo Nix. Completely unpredictable. Joe Montana one game and a head scratcher the next. 

Bo had a good game against BYU. Your two best WR’s and two starting DE’s out didn’t help your cause.

You have to make Nix pass. Nobody is going to pass when they ran the ball pretty well. Nix is mistake prone if you pressure him

Hall played fine for byu but he can’t win the game himself 

Image result for jim mcmahon with lavell edwardsImage result for byu logoImage result for byu boise state end zone hail maryc07489bb8bb7f5bad3672877f8b04f34.jpg

On 9/23/2022 at 3:27 PM, Wyobraska said:

BYU had a bad game. Oregon is talented and played well. BYU didn’t. It’s different than Baylor. Oregon wants to spread you out. Baylor wants to fight in a ph9ne booth. BYU is probably better equipped for the latter given Oregons speed

Image result for jim mcmahon with lavell edwardsImage result for byu logoImage result for byu boise state end zone hail maryc07489bb8bb7f5bad3672877f8b04f34.jpg

On 9/23/2022 at 3:54 PM, Kirbycreekpoke said:

I watched the Baylor game and BYU is every bit of a 3 TD favorite over us. If we play 10 times they win 8 or 9. I’m hoping for the 1 or 2  of course but I’m really interested to see if we have taken a big step forward since Illinois. If we can get push with the o-line and keep progressing with the controlled passing game it bodes well for the conference slate. I want to see if our young D-ends can generate some pressure without rushing 5 or 6, and help the backend of the defense. That’s really what I’m hoping to get out of this game.  A win would be legendary but this isn’t the 1996 or the 1988 pokes. 

I think our defensive line is crap, so you guys might be able to go run heavy and do some damage

they played out of their minds against Baylor. They couldnt do anything against Oregon

If they can't open holes for the running game, then how are they awesome ?

"We don't have evidence but, we have lot's of theories."

Americans Mayor