Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Wyobraska

Wyoming @ BYU Game Thread 8:15 PM MT ESPN2

On 9/22/2022 at 11:47 AM, madmartigan said:

Why are we still talking about the project? There are a myriad of more interesting reasons to root against BYU. 

It was most despicable. Nothing worse or more despicable than what they tried to pull.

On 9/22/2022 at 11:06 AM, OrediggerPoke said:

Did you really need to provide another self example of the byu attitude of 'we do no wrong and are morally superior to everyone else'?

Once again - condolences to the Big 12.  The upside to the move is that there is likely less incentive for MWC teams to associate itself with and schedule byu. 

I dunno, you've got the fake tough guy attitude down pat. Big 12 fanbases seem thrilled BYU is joining. They value what BYU brings. It could be a you problem possibly

Image result for jim mcmahon with lavell edwardsImage result for byu logoImage result for byu boise state end zone hail maryc07489bb8bb7f5bad3672877f8b04f34.jpg

On 9/22/2022 at 11:39 AM, Jack Bauer said:

I dunno, you've got the fake tough guy attitude down pat. Big 12 fanbases seem thrilled BYU is joining. They value what BYU brings. It could be a you problem possibly

Jack, don’t you have a big 12 board to harass.?It’s time for you move along.

On 9/22/2022 at 12:39 PM, Jack Bauer said:

I'm sure the Big 12 will love you all.  And I am sure this is a 'me' problem as you point out.

As an FYI - if you were to send an ex-girlfriend 40,300 texts after breaking up, how do you think that would be perceived?  You find that quite normal?

On 9/22/2022 at 11:47 AM, madmartigan said:

Why are we still talking about the project? There are a myriad of more interesting reasons to root against BYU. 

Seeing as how Karl Benson and Utah State were actually at the heart of planning and executing The Project (contrary to popular belief around here), it's understandable that you'd want to move on.

On 9/22/2022 at 2:42 PM, Pelado said:

Seeing as how Karl Benson and Utah State were actually at the heart of planning and executing The Project (contrary to popular belief around here), it's understandable that you'd want to move on.

The distinction is USU was not a member of the MW (USU was in the WAC) at that time and was attempting to further its own interests by strengthening its own conference and future in said conference. BYU OTOH WAS a member of the MW conference and what it did (fair or not) was/is viewed as backstabbing its conference mates to better its own situation at the cost of its long held conference mates. 

There are only two things I can't stand in this world: people who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch. 

On 9/22/2022 at 1:15 PM, OrediggerPoke said:

I'm sure the Big 12 will love you all.  And I am sure this is a 'me' problem as you point out.

As an FYI - if you were to send an ex-girlfriend 40,300 texts after breaking up, how do you think that would be perceived?  You find that quite normal?

Super duper mean post. I think the B12 will as well. There's something you and others here who hate BYU have in common. It's frankly a little strange how much contempt you have for BYU, yet don't place a shred of blame on anyone else who participated in the project who stuck around. Sorry BYU took a better opportunity for themselves that resulted in a more stable and lucrative situation going forward for them. I'm still waiting for you to provide some actual evidence about the project, and wondering why you don't hate USU for spearheading it.

Image result for jim mcmahon with lavell edwardsImage result for byu logoImage result for byu boise state end zone hail maryc07489bb8bb7f5bad3672877f8b04f34.jpg

On 9/22/2022 at 3:43 PM, Jack Bauer said:

Super duper mean post. I think the B12 will as well. There's something you and others here who hate BYU have in common. It's frankly a little strange how much contempt you have for BYU, yet don't place a shred of blame on anyone else who participated in the project who stuck around. Sorry BYU took a better opportunity for themselves that resulted in a more stable and lucrative situation going forward for them. I'm still waiting for you to provide some actual evidence about the project, and wondering why you don't hate USU for spearheading it.

I can see that logic is as strong as ever at byu... To be honest, I don't know why I am even wasting the time responding to this.

#1) Utah State didn't spearhead anything. There is absolutely no question on who spearheaded the project.

#2) Utah State had no relationship, was not a partner with nor a conference member of the Mountain West Conference. The fact that Utah State, in a different conference, discussed and was welcoming of an in-state school to bring its sports to its conference is to be expected and is absolutely irrelevant.  However, given the typical byu ethics that has been displayed for decades, it is not surprising that you can't see the difference at all between Utah State's actions and the actions of a conference member and partner with the other schools in the MWC actively trying to blow up that relationship thereby leaving certain schools on an island to die. With 'partners' like those, who needs enemies?

On 9/22/2022 at 3:34 PM, madmartigan said:

The distinction is USU was not a member of the MW (USU was in the WAC) at that time and was attempting to further its own interests by strengthening its own conference and future in said conference. BYU OTOH WAS a member of the MW conference and what it did (fair or not) was/is viewed as backstabbing its conference mates to better its own situation at the cost of its long held conference mates. 

I should have read this first before responding.  Right on point. Clearly Utah State is the better in-state choice for quality education.

On 9/22/2022 at 4:03 PM, OrediggerPoke said:

I can see that logic is as strong as ever at byu... To be honest, I don't know why I am even wasting the time responding to this.

#1) Utah State didn't spearhead anything. There is absolutely no question on who spearheaded the project.

#2) Utah State had no relationship, was not a partner with nor a conference member of the Mountain West Conference. The fact that Utah State, in a different conference, discussed and was welcoming of an in-state school to bring its sports to its conference is to be expected and is absolutely irrelevant.  However, given the typical byu ethics that has been displayed for decades, it is not surprising that you can't see the difference at all between Utah State's actions and the actions of a conference member and partner with the other schools in the MWC actively trying to blow up that relationship thereby leaving certain schools on an island to die. With 'partners' like those, who needs enemies?

BYU was a member of the conference but was frustrated with the conference and its media deal.  Karl Benson approached them and offered a scheduling agreement for football and a conference home for non-football sports.  BYU decided to move forward on the offer, going independent in football and joining the WAC for its other sports.  According to all legitimate reporting made public to date, that was the extent of BYU's involvement in The Project.

Benson and Utah State's president at the time were planning a second phase of The Project, in which they hoped to lure additional MW schools back to the WAC.  It was likely this attempt to convince other MW schools to join the WAC that alerted those schools and, thus, MW leadership, that BYU was planning to leave.  In an effort to prevent BYU from joining the WAC, the MW issued invitations to Nevada, Fresno State, and Utah State.  Nevada and Fresno State said yes while Utah State was the only one of the three to honor the agreement they'd made to their WAC conference mates to stay the course.

The attempt to prevent BYU from leaving didn't work, as the WCC was more than happy to welcome BYU into the fold.

The only instances from The Project of backstabbing of conference mates was when Nevada and Fresno State jumped to the MW leaving Utah State and the rest of the WAC to wither.

What exactly did BYU do?  They declared Independence for football and put their oly sports in the WCC after the MWC raided the WAC in a desperate attempt to keep BYU in the MWC.  Please provide links to support anything else you believe they did.  I’ve been waiting YEARS for the storytellers of this board to do so.  

v0icAvfW.jpg

On 9/22/2022 at 4:03 PM, OrediggerPoke said:

Please provide links and proof of these outrageous claims

Look, its plain and simple; BYU is the bane of all existence and the problem to every math solution! They're the reason Tom has to randomly buy 52 cans of beans! They're the sliver in your thumb. The paper cut from work. The missed fieldgoal to every loss. They are the scapegoats!

On 9/23/2022 at 3:04 AM, son of a gun said:

Look, its plain and simple; BYU is the bane of all existence and the problem to every math solution! They're the reason Tom has to randomly buy 52 cans of beans! They're the sliver in your thumb. The paper cut from work. The missed fieldgoal to every loss. They are the scapegoats!

The point of a scapegoat is unearned guilt and punishment. The stench's guilt-worthiness is well earned.

You keep using that word. I do not think that word means what you think it means.

On 9/23/2022 at 7:50 AM, USU78 said:

The point of a scapegoat is unearned guilt and punishment. The stench's guilt-worthiness is well earned.

There’s actual proof of usu’s involvement in the project

imagine being a dude your age and being as mad as you are about the school your church sponsors, it’s ridiculousWill Ferrell Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

On 9/22/2022 at 9:24 PM, NorCalCoug said:

What exactly did BYU do?  They declared Independence for football and put their oly sports in the WCC after the MWC raided the WAC in a desperate attempt to keep BYU in the MWC.  Please provide links to support anything else you believe they did.  I’ve been waiting YEARS for the storytellers of this board to do so.  

I don't understand why BYU fans have a hard time grasping why former conference mates would be upset with them regarding the project. BYU was looking out for its own best interests. BYU and USU worked together to bring a few MW schools to the WAC where BYU could park their Olys + a scheduling agreement for football and have the ESPN TV deal they lacked in the MW. This would mean a weakening  or destruction of the MW- a conference they were in at the time and had been in for quite some time. Poaching teams from the MW for this new conference felt like betrayal to the other members of the MW. Anything here that's not well founded or controversial? 

https://www.deseret.com/sports/2020/8/29/21404261/byu-football-byu-independence-the-project-byu-mountain-west-conference-karl-benson

There are only two things I can't stand in this world: people who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch. 

On 9/23/2022 at 8:40 AM, Jack Bauer said:

There’s actual proof of usu’s involvement in the project

imagine being a dude your age and being as mad as you are about the school your church sponsors, it’s ridiculousWill Ferrell Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

I remember the reports at the time of Benson casually meeting with the UNLV (IIRC) AD who was a long time friend and associate and he floated the idea of them joining the WAC.  The normal crybaby crew spun that as BYU actively recruiting UNLV/SDSU to join them in the WAC despite no mention of BYU in any report.  That was the “proof” they came up with.  The whole rewrite of “The Project” on this board to be actively driven by BYU was one of the most hilariously stupid things I witnessed in my almost 20 years here. 

v0icAvfW.jpg