Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Gator 82

MWC Standings

On 9/18/2022 at 11:21 AM, robe said:

UNLV vs USU probably the most interesting. Is USU going to bounce back can UNLV keep it going.

Toledo vs SDSU. I’m starting to have some doubts on this SDSU team. This game will give me a clearer picture.

Wyoming at BYU. Wyoming gets another big test. How much have they improved from Illinois. 

Arroyo's teams have had a tendency to start slow on the road, not gonna win away from home no-showing in the 1st Quarter like they did @ Cal and expect to catch-up and win. I liked the game plan of getting Dougie warmed up with some easy passes and establishing the run before unleashing the long bombs. When Brumfield misses a few early throws his inaccuracy tends to snowball. 

and FEED the rock to Aidan Robbins. Kid is 6'3 230 with speed, Weber St, UConn, and bama all rushed for 200+ yards against the Aggie's front 7. 

Can't wait for this game, will be the true test to see if UNLV is a contender or pretender for the conference. 

Rebel18_zps27699187.gif

On 9/18/2022 at 10:38 AM, Spaztecs said:

Does anybody have UNLV - Wyoming on their Bingo card ?

What's the betting line on that CCG matchup ?

Four thoughts:

1. Enjoy it UNLV.  It won't last. I said before thw season you had a shot at Bowl eligibility and your 1/3 of the way there. The quality of your wins is <<<<<<<<< the quality of FSU/SDSU losses. Both teams have good Coaching staffs and loads of talent. They will get it together.

2. Enjoy it Poke fans. Craig Bohl owns Air Force at home and the Falcons always have an early season wtf game. With the history of your teams inconsistency, I wouldn't start SEC Mountain banners quite yet.

3. Enjoy it Lobo fans. You're improving. You still have winnable games against UNLV, NMSU, CSU,  and Wyoming. You have an outside chance if getting to six wins.

4. Don't sleep on the Aztecs. In 2015 they came out if the gate 1-3 including a loss to South Alabama. Then finished with 10 straight wins.

You have no offensive game which causes your defense to get tired and exploited. The Aztecs are an average MWC team this year which is evident by the scores of their two losses. Aztec teams of past would have beaten both Oregon St. and Arizona or kept it close.

On 9/18/2022 at 12:26 PM, robe said:

BYU and Utah are both good teams. I think the rivalry blinds a lot of fans. How good both teams are is still in question. SDSU historically has been good. But honestly they look like garbage this year and they no longer have Rocky Long. Florida isnt looking like a great team either, they struggle against a team BYU killed on the road.

Right now I would say Utah is better. If they played this year and the game was played in Provo with Romney and Puka back I’d would guess BYU wins in a close one. 

Meh.. Probably not the best place or thread to debate a Utah/BYU game. I’m pretty sure MWC fans don’t want to listen to it.

On 9/18/2022 at 5:08 PM, son of a gun said:

For BYU... Obviously we want a win. But this is a team that one week, will steamroll the would-be conference champs, and the next, struggle against some of the worst in college ball. We simply don't know what to expect.

You are well coach. If BYU plays poorly you will have a shot. I wouldn’t  be surprised if it close until the end. Provo is a hard place to win. If Hall goes down Wyoming could be seeing an upset. He has never completed a season. 

I’m glad we are going to the B12 but I’m one of the few BYU fans that still would prefer the old rivals. 

The Masters 5k road race All American.

On 9/18/2022 at 3:08 PM, son of a gun said:

For BYU... Obviously we want a win. But this is a team that one week, will steamroll the would-be conference champs, and the next, struggle against some of the worst in college ball. We simply don't know what to expect.

Historically speaking, on the road we pretty much know what to expect from Wyoming football.  Pokes will be fortunate to keep the loss to 14 or less.  I wish I could be more optimistic but I’m just not.

On 9/18/2022 at 7:15 PM, NorthWestCowboy said:

Historically speaking, on the road we pretty much know what to expect from Wyoming football.  Pokes will be fortunate to keep the loss to 14 or less.  I wish I could be more optimistic but I’m just not.

The line is -21 for BYU. BYU will be looking to make a statement. If The Pokes can find a way to turn this into a grinder, it could be closer. 

BYU is struggling to run the ball and stop the run. If BYU gets their two best WR’s back, Hall could light it up. He’s pretty good.

On 9/18/2022 at 12:53 PM, Gator 82 said:

You have no offensive game which causes your defense to get tired and exploited. The Aztecs are an average MWC team this year which is evident by the scores of their two losses. Aztec teams of past would have beaten both Oregon St. and Arizona or kept it close.

This team does need work and Toledo may be the tonic. Will the Frosh Crum, be our Cam Rising ?

The Aztecs have a soft schedule the rest of the way and they will improve.

"We don't have evidence but, we have lot's of theories."

Americans Mayor

UNR @ AFA - The Flyboys grind out a comeback win. Nevada needs to tighten up their defense.

Boise @ UTEP - Just what the Doctor ordered for Boise. Another scrimmage before the Aztec tilt.

Toledo @ Snapdragon - The Aztecs rebound in a tough grinder with a Special Teams score or two. Toledo's two wins are against Long Island and UMass. 

Sac. State @ CSU - Time for CSU to figure out if they are an MW squad or Bottom 10 material. Sac State in a close game.

Rebs @ Utags - An early elimination game for both squads. This can make or break a season for both squads. Aggies rebound in a tight game.

Lobos @ LSU - Lobos get a check. Let's hope they come out injury free.

Bows @ NewMags -  Crummy Game of the Week Nominee. The Bows got over the hump last week, the NewMags get it done this week.

Pokes @ YBU - We will find out if the Pokes are for real or are their usual bi-polar selves. BYU by two scores.

The MAC Broncos @ Sparty. This is a 10:30 edt kick for the Broncs. They will be asleep in the second half. Sparty by 2+ scores.

Americans Mayor

On 9/18/2022 at 8:05 PM, Spaztecs said:

This team does need work and Toledo may be the tonic. Will the Frosh Crum, be our Cam Rising ?

The Aztecs have a soft schedule the rest of the way and they will improve.

So what’s the deal with Burmeister’s eye.?

On 9/18/2022 at 7:15 PM, NorthWestCowboy said:

That said;

How dare we even breathe the same air as their holiness' BYU? Us heathens don't belong in the same sport, let alone the same field, as these true juggernauts. Our poor players should simply be grateful to be on the same property as BYU. Hopefully they will take mercy upon us poor barbarians during the game, and not put too many points on us.

https://sports.cbsimg.net/images/visual/whatshot/jobu-youtube.jpg

On 9/18/2022 at 10:02 PM, Gator 82 said:

So what’s the deal with Burmeister’s eye.?

Watching the replay, the Ute  D-lineman gave Burmeister a shot to the face with the butt of his hand.

I don't think it was dirty or intentional. Just effective.

Americans Mayor

On 9/18/2022 at 7:26 PM, utenation said:

The line is -21 for BYU. BYU will be looking to make a statement. If The Pokes can find a way to turn this into a grinder, it could be closer. 

BYU is struggling to run the ball and stop the run. If BYU gets their two best WR’s back, Hall could light it up. He’s pretty good.

They didn't do a good job stopping the run against Oregon.

They held Baylor to 2.9 ypc and South Florida to 4 ypc.

I've been a bit surprised the run blocking has been so poor thusfar, but both Baylor and Oregon have some dudes on the DLine.

I think BYU will win by 3 or 4 scores, but Wyoming wants to make it ugly and grind it out, so BYU better have a game plan for that. I think BYU will be able to score on Wyoming.

I'm taking my son, we haven't been to a game in some time.

Image result for jim mcmahon with lavell edwardsImage result for byu logoImage result for byu boise state end zone hail maryc07489bb8bb7f5bad3672877f8b04f34.jpg

On 9/18/2022 at 12:12 PM, robe said:

I thought BYU was going to lose at Oregon. 4 starter out and 2 of them are stars. Let down after a big win. Plus Oregon is a tough place to win at. Lastly Oregon was a better team. BYU had to bring its A game and have all its stars. It didn’t have either. 

BYU is legit. 9-3 against P-5 over the last 12 games. BYU would have to play absolutely terrible and Wyoming would have to have a perfect game even in Laramie to win. Can that happen yes. Now if Hall goes down Wyoming would still have to play well but it would be more winnable. I like Wyoming but I doubt they can stay within 21 points of BYU. I assume BYU will play ok which pretty much means game over. 

I think BSU is probably the only team that could stay within 2 TD of BYU this year in the MWC. 

Boise State will get boat-raced by BYU this year...and I say this having seen some pretty good BYU teams get beat by BSU when BYU had the better team on paper.

This is a different Boise State than the "bad" teams in years past. In the past, IMHO there was hope for the future, whether that be inexperienced players maturing, or a new coach getting comfortable with his players and his role/style. This year, I don't see Boise State getting significantly better than what it is now.

Decent defense but vulnerable to the big play and a terribly sluggish, out-of-synch offense. The OLine has been subpar (by BSU standards) for about 6-7 years at least. Our receivers that can't get open are a step down this year as are the CB's that are giving up some big pass plays - 4th and 12 for a TD for UT Martin, anyone? We have a few of stars (Skinner and Matlock on D, Holani or Jeanty with any kind of OLine, Taylen Green?) but no depth. We have a very experienced QB that is regressing or at best, staying level.

Bad teams (UNM, Tennessee Martin) we beat, but I think any team with a pulse this year will give Boise State all they can handle and any solid, good team won't have much of a problem beating Boise State fairly convincingly. Unfortunately, I believe this is what Boise State will be for a number of years barring any major shifts in coaching and/or recruiting.

NIL, Boise State's newfound mediocrity, comparative financial resources, etc. won't allow Boise State to ever fully rebound to the Glory Days in my opinion.

On 9/19/2022 at 9:41 AM, SparkysDad said:

Boise State will get boat-raced by BYU this year...and I say this having seen some pretty good BYU teams get beat by BSU when BYU had the better team on paper.

This is a different Boise State than the "bad" teams in years past. In the past, IMHO there was hope for the future, whether that be inexperienced players maturing, or a new coach getting comfortable with his players and his role/style. This year, I don't see Boise State getting significantly better than what it is now.

Decent defense but vulnerable to the big play and a terribly sluggish, out-of-synch offense. The OLine has been subpar (by BSU standards) for about 6-7 years at least. Our receivers that can't get open are a step down this year as are the CB's that are giving up some big pass plays - 4th and 12 for a TD for UT Martin, anyone? We have a few of stars (Skinner and Matlock on D, Holani or Jeanty with any kind of OLine, Taylen Green?) but no depth. We have a very experienced QB that is regressing or at best, staying level.

Bad teams (UNM, Tennessee Martin) we beat, but I think any team with a pulse this year will give Boise State all they can handle and any solid, good team won't have much of a problem beating Boise State fairly convincingly. Unfortunately, I believe this is what Boise State will be for a number of years barring any major shifts in coaching and/or recruiting.

NIL, Boise State's newfound mediocrity, comparative financial resources, etc. won't allow Boise State to ever fully rebound to the Glory Days in my opinion.

That will be our tenth game in a row without a bye.

The biggest thing that happened between BYU and Boise during independence is BYU got tougher than Boise in the trenches. I still think there's a good chance you win the league.

Image result for jim mcmahon with lavell edwardsImage result for byu logoImage result for byu boise state end zone hail maryc07489bb8bb7f5bad3672877f8b04f34.jpg

On 9/18/2022 at 8:31 PM, Spaztecs said:

UNR @ AFA - The Flyboys grind out a comeback win. Nevada needs to tighten up their defense.

Boise @ UTEP - Just what the Doctor ordered for Boise. Another scrimmage before the Aztec tilt.

Toledo @ Snapdragon - The Aztecs rebound in a tough grinder with a Special Teams score or two. Toledo's two wins are against Long Island and UMass. 

Sac. State @ CSU - Time for CSU to figure out if they are an MW squad or Bottom 10 material. Sac State in a close game.

Rebs @ Utags - An early elimination game for both squads. This can make or break a season for both squads. Aggies rebound in a tight game.

Lobos @ LSU - Lobos get a check. Let's hope they come out injury free.

Bows @ NewMags -  Crummy Game of the Week Nominee. The Bows got over the hump last week, the NewMags get it done this week.

Pokes @ YBU - We will find out if the Pokes are for real or are their usual bi-polar selves. BYU by two scores.

The MAC Broncos @ Sparty. This is a 10:30 edt kick for the Broncs. They will be asleep in the second half. Sparty by 2+ scores.

Not sure what you’ve seen in Utah St over their last 3 games that would lead you to believe their gonna get it turned around against UNLV. Not saying it won’t or can’t happen, just curious as to why you believe that. The Rebels have been trending up whilst the Aggies have been trending down.  I think UNLV wins by at least 7.

On 9/19/2022 at 11:19 AM, Jack Bauer said:

That will be our tenth game in a row without a bye.

The biggest thing that happened between BYU and Boise during independence is BYU got tougher than Boise in the trenches. I still think there's a good chance you win the league.

I agree....there's a chance Boise State could win the MWC. But that speaks more to this year's MWC than Boise State's comparative quality!