Jump to content
tailingpermit

Anxiety/Panic attacks.

Recommended Posts

On 9/19/2022 at 3:42 PM, Bob said:

If you guys are drinking tons of coffee, caffeinated pop and refined sugar… knock it off. Go eat some meat and green vegetables 

This too, I switched to tea from coffee...I honestly thought it was a little "ghey" at first. But the results are there and iirc coffee can have 3-5x the amount of caffeine that tea has. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/19/2022 at 4:41 PM, Bob said:

I am 6’1’’ 185 and I feel like an Ethiopian at times. Everyone my age seems to be getting girthier with age , but me

My stepbrother is 6’6”. 47 years old and still has the metabolism of a 20 year old. He’s about 220.  Works out but nothing hard. 

Genetics man. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Lack of sleep, daily alcohol use, work stress, GERD, and lack of exercise all really trigger my anxiety.  I haven't had a panic attack in years, but did go to the ER once many years ago thinking I was legit dying and they told me it was anxiety and to GTFO.  I was stress-drinking coffee to cope with lack of sleep and work stress at the time.  Couple pots of coffee a day is really bad. I can handle a couple of cups in the morning just fine now though. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/19/2022 at 12:04 PM, Bob said:

Everyone has shit to deal with in life. It's how you deal with it is what's important! Good luck, TP

Yep.  Spent the better part of the last three years covering 4 positions. Saving the company @ $280,000 per year. Working/stressing  24/7, no vacations during that time where I could unplug.

Had an audit, the assistant General manager pulled the ' plausible deniabilty' card and I was let go. Thrown under the bus.

This was three weeks ago. First two weeks couldn't sleep,chest pains and high anxiety when awake.

Decided to chill for a couple more weeks before job searching. Get my head and body right before committing to another job. 

It's all about faith in yourself and realizing things can change for the better. Also, we all have an expiration date...don't know when ....so stop worrying and start living as best you can.

  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/17/2022 at 8:25 PM, tailingpermit said:

Does anyone else suffer through this?

It makes me feel better just talking about it.  
 

The love of my life just tested positive for covid, it stresses the living shit out of me.  

Hang in there.     Since my wife died I have had many of those stressful days.      You just stay busy and hope it gets better.   I found setting some short term goals and completing them made me feel better.

 

 

  • Like 3
  • Cheers 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/19/2022 at 5:28 PM, bsu_alum9 said:

Lack of sleep, daily alcohol use, work stress, GERD, and lack of exercise all really trigger my anxiety.  I haven't had a panic attack in years, but did go to the ER once many years ago thinking I was legit dying and they told me it was anxiety and to GTFO.  I was stress-drinking coffee to cope with lack of sleep and work stress at the time.  Couple pots of coffee a day is really bad. I can handle a couple of cups in the morning just fine now though. 

Getting the motivation to be consistent at a gym is hard work. 

Even simple walks around your hood can smash a lot of stress. Fall is the perfect time too.  Get your heart rate up is the key. Endorphins. 

  • Cheers 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/19/2022 at 3:44 PM, AztecSU said:

This too, I switched to tea from coffee...I honestly thought it was a little "ghey" at first. But the results are there and iirc coffee can have 3-5x the amount of caffeine that tea has. 

To be fair, tea is pretty gay.

But it's true, for many, it's a much better alternative. I always wanted to like tea (with no intentions of quitting coffee, though) but never really got into it. Then, I start drinking nice and strong English breakfast instead of my second cup of coffee for a while, and at some point, it just clicked. Now I drink 2-3 cups of coffee till after lunch, then two cups of black tea in the afternoon. That's pretty delightful.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/19/2022 at 4:02 PM, utenation said:

I think BMI is bullshit. Not all 6 foot dudes are built the same. Genetics isn’t accounted for.  It’s a basic, broad sweep at weight ratio. 
 

A few years ago, my doctor said I should be 165. I work out a lot and have good muscle mass. I’m not lean but there is no way this body will ever be 165 lbs. I was a tiny runt in high school and weighed 155 lbs.  

200 lbs is a good weight for me. I need to drop a few lbs. 

The high end of the scale for me is 177lbs.. the low end 144. For 6’3” that seems absolutely ridiculous, with the low end beyond anorexic. At 200lbs I don’t have a six pack and no one is confusing me for a body builder, but my stomach is flat which hasn’t happened in some years nowZ

  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/19/2022 at 6:25 PM, I am Ram said:

To be fair, tea is pretty gay.

But it's true, for many, it's a much better alternative. I always wanted to like tea (with no intentions of quitting coffee, though) but never really got into it. Then, I start drinking nice and strong English breakfast instead of my second cup of coffee for a while, and at some point, it just clicked. Now I drink 2-3 cups of coffee till after lunch, then two cups of black tea in the afternoon. That's pretty delightful.

Nah. Tea isn’t gay. There are so many good herbal options and variety. Love Green Tea.  But I have a barrel full of different varieties.
 

I need my cup of coffee every morning. Unless I drank a full pot, caffeine has zero effect on my anxiety. 

  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Don’t drink coffee or energy drinks, very rarely drink anymore. Did have a soda addiction, which sounds weird to say, but I’ve kicked that habit. Drank hard and did blow on the regular in my 20’s but once I had kids I grew out of it. 
 

Need to find a hobby that keeps my interest for more than 5 minutes.. I forget how nice it is to get lost in whatever you’re doing and for a short time you can forget all your problems. Even 30 minutes of relief can make a big differenc.

  • Cheers 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/19/2022 at 4:32 PM, utenation said:

My biggest danger zones are sugar and late night snacking. I gave up all sodas most sweets and try to cutoff any eating by 8 pm. I don’t always win the battle but I’m much better. 

Man same here.. I have no problem really eating healthy-ish and limiting portions during the day. But right before bed i get weak and give in, eating 5x the serving size of whatever. Once winter hits and I can’t be active outside will be the biggest test for me, that’s when I hibernate with food.

 

I’ve been doing the intermittent fasting for 3 months or so.. the 24 hours is hard but if I eat a big meal around 2pm I can make it til same time the next day. 

  • Cheers 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/19/2022 at 7:26 PM, IanforHeisman said:

Man same here.. I have no problem really eating healthy-ish and limiting portions during the day. But right before bed i get weak and give in, eating 5x the serving size of whatever. Once winter hits and I can’t be active outside will be the biggest test for me, that’s when I hibernate with food.

 

I’ve been doing the intermittent fasting for 3 months or so.. the 24 hours is hard but if I eat a big meal around 2pm I can make it til same time the next day. 

Dude. Boise is beautiful. Even in winter. Put your coat and gloves on and take the kids sledding. 
 

Or go look at some eye candy at the gym. Lol

  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/17/2022 at 11:25 PM, tailingpermit said:

Does anyone else suffer through this?

It makes me feel better just talking about it.  
 

The love of my life just tested positive for covid, it stresses the living shit out of me.  

I don’t think I have anxiety attacks per de.  My coping mechanism is bud light and skoal.

When I was broke after the housing bust I definitely had some issues.  Like my mom wrote in her journal, money is like air, it’s not worth anything, unless you don’t have any, and then it’s everything.

  • Cheers 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/18/2022 at 9:47 PM, toonkee said:

Same.

Look at how many of us are feeling this way. Really makes you think about how unhealthy our culture and society have become. 

There's probably some truth to that, but another factor is that not that long ago, a lot of people here would have been reluctant to talk about their mental health issues. The fact that someone can now start a thread about their anxiety in this male-dominated, basic bro kind of environment, and a whole bunch of guys aren't scared to chime in, that's really cool. We've come a long way in that regard.

  • Like 1
  • Cheers 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/19/2022 at 11:33 PM, I am Ram said:

There's probably some truth to that, but another factor is that not that long ago, a lot of people here would have been reluctant to talk about their mental health issues. The fact that someone can now start a thread about their anxiety in this male-dominated, basic bro kind of environment, and a whole bunch of guys aren't scared to chime in, that's really cool. We've come a long way in that regard.

Unfortunately I know some people who still give it a stigma. We've come a long way but there is still a long way to go for many men.

  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I thought this was a good thread to post this news from today about anxiety and depression.

 

The US Preventive Services Task Force says for the first time that adults under the age of 65 should be screened for anxiety, according to a draft recommendation posted on Tuesday.

The USPSTF is a group of independent disease prevention and medical experts whose recommendations help guide doctors’ decisions. The draft recommendation is not final, but will now enter a public comment period.

The panel found “that screening for anxiety in adults younger than 65, and that includes those who are pregnant and postpartum … can help identify anxiety early,” Lori Pbert, a task force member, told CNN. “So it’s truly exciting.”

The task force defines anxiety disorders as “characterized by greater duration or intensity of a stress response over everyday events.” Recognized types include generalized anxiety disorder, social anxiety disorder and agoraphobia. The USPSTF drafts also recommend screening for major depressive disorder in adults, consistent with recommendations for depression screening published in 2016.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/09/20/health/anxiety-screening-uspstf-wellness/index.html

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

good spot for this:

Daily 'breath training' can work as well as medicine to reduce high blood pressure

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2022/09/20/1123500781/daily-breath-training-can-work-as-well-as-medicine-to-reduce-high-blood-pressure

It's well known that weightlifting can strengthen our biceps and quads. Now, there's accumulating evidence that strengthening the muscles we use to breathe is beneficial too. New research shows that a daily dose of muscle training for the diaphragm and other breathing muscles helps promote heart health and reduces high blood pressure.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/20/2022 at 3:38 PM, FresnoFacts said:

Unfortunately I know some people who still give it a stigma. We've come a long way but there is still a long way to go for many men.

One reason I'm able to 'chill' for a month or so is because I finally told my wife how much accumulated stress and mental baggage I've been internalizing. 

She had some idea. I hid it most of it well. Doing the man thing.

She's been extremely supportive.....I should have shared more earlier. 

  • Cheers 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yoga, meditation, and slow deep breathing will help with stress, anxiety, and numerous other borderline mental and physical health issues.

It has served me well over the last 35 years.

Best wishes to your wife for a speedy recovery and for you

 

Calm Down Chill Out GIF by Justin

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/19/2022 at 5:28 PM, bsu_alum9 said:

Lack of sleep, daily alcohol use, work stress, GERD, and lack of exercise all really trigger my anxiety.  I haven't had a panic attack in years, but did go to the ER once many years ago thinking I was legit dying and they told me it was anxiety and to GTFO.  I was stress-drinking coffee to cope with lack of sleep and work stress at the time.  Couple pots of coffee a day is really bad. I can handle a couple of cups in the morning just fine now though. 

Reminds me of when I was in the Army. It was sad seeing all the old Sgts going through pots of coffee, packs of smokes, and cases of beer on a daily basis.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...