Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

tailingpermit

Anxiety/Panic attacks.

On 9/18/2022 at 6:50 PM, I am Ram said:

How are you doing today, @tailingpermit, bit better?

For what it's worth, omicron doesn't seem to really like the lungs all that much, so that should be good news for asthma patients. My family and I have had Covid for the past week or so. Kids are (predictably) totally fine. I feel like I got a sampler plate with a little of everything but only two days in bed/on the couch. My wife got hit a bit harder, mainly headaches and fatigue. But notably, no one's had anything lung-related other than a bit of slime.

She’s on the Paxlovid and feeling ok, just like a bad cold. We’re trying to figure out when she got this as we were visiting her Mom in Sanibel last week/weekend and she’s very high risk. So there was some worry about that as well, but we had her tested before going down and it was negative.  She does a lot of traveling for her work so it was bound to happen eventually. She had a trip next week but that’s been canceled, and I was supposed to fish all week so that’s also been put on hold.  I’m not experiencing any symptoms, but we’ll see in a few more days.  

Thanks for the check in and I very much appreciate all the stories of how you’re affected by anxiety/panic. I’ve just recently started ramping up doses of Prozac to help with the issue, but have been experiencing a lot of side effects.  I know it will soon go away, just doesn’t help.  

On 9/18/2022 at 7:07 PM, tailingpermit said:

She’s on the Paxlovid and feeling ok, just like a bad cold. We’re trying to figure out when she got this as we were visiting her Mom in Sanibel last week/weekend and she’s very high risk. So there was some worry about that as well, but we had her tested before going down and it was negative.  She does a lot of traveling for her work so it was bound to happen eventually. She had a trip next week but that’s been canceled, and I was supposed to fish all week so that’s also been put on hold.  I’m not experiencing any symptoms, but we’ll see in a few more days.  

Thanks for the check in and I very much appreciate all the stories of how you’re affected by anxiety/panic. I’ve just recently started ramping up doses of Prozac to help with the issue, but have been experiencing a lot of side effects.  I know it will soon go away, just doesn’t help.  

Watch some Mel Brooks films. Space Balls is always good for a few laughs.

Welcome back TP. Sorry to hear about your partner's COVID - as others have assured you, I am sure she will be okay and recover fully. Also sorry to hear about the anxiety/panic attacks. The Bump occasionally gets so stressed she can't breathe - I worry she'll have a cardiac event someday if she doesn't get it under control. Hope you're similarly able to get in front of it.

Also, one word: weed.

St-Javelin-Sm.jpgChase.jpg 

On 9/18/2022 at 7:32 PM, misplacedcowboy said:

It could be worse... at least you don't try to cheer for CSU every Saturday.

oh, my old man has a great one for that too!

"that's life...just one disappointment after another"

he's just a joyful ball of wisdom

On 9/18/2022 at 12:50 AM, IanforHeisman said:

I sleep probably 5 nights a week, sometimes 4. I can only sleep if completely drained and my body says no more. Probably not considered a panic attack, but it’s definitely anxiety related. With a wife and 5 kids the weight on my shoulders can get a little heavy sometimes.

But I think the lack of sleep affects my memory and other little things, which adds to the list of things to worry about.

Same.

Look at how many of us are feeling this way. Really makes you think about how unhealthy our culture and society have become. 

On 9/17/2022 at 11:25 PM, tailingpermit said:

Does anyone else suffer through this?

It makes me feel better just talking about it.  

The love of my life just tested positive for covid, it stresses the living shit out of me.  

My wife does.  It can be hard to get her to relax sometimes.  Has gotten better with age 

On 9/18/2022 at 3:04 PM, SAMO said:

same

Me too but for a slightly different reason.  My wife drinks wine to help her panic attacks.  We share a bottle of wine a night.  I find myself drinking to limit what she drinks….   

for those who have panic attacks and are married, I would offer to offload some of those worries on God and/or your spouse.   Your spouse is likely stronger than you can imagine and that is part of their role.  They love you and would gladly offload and help.   

My undergrad years were some of the most stressful anxiety inducing years I've ever experienced. There would be times I would feel sick to my stomach, sweating, heart rate elevating, clamy hands, and I felt like the walls in my dorm was closing in on me. Before I had to give my senior presentation I noticed some of my hair starting to fall out. It also didn't help that I was in a toxic relationship at the time so there was no escape from the stress. I've now been able to manage it where I'm not as bad anymore, but I still have episodes where I freak myself out.

0918_FootballVBoise(Weir)6081.jpg.91934a8a511e3532b39599f1988bbacb.jpg

On 9/18/2022 at 1:50 AM, IanforHeisman said:

I sleep probably 5 nights a week, sometimes 4. I can only sleep if completely drained and my body says no more. Probably not considered a panic attack, but it’s definitely anxiety related. With a wife and 5 kids the weight on my shoulders can get a little heavy sometimes.

But I think the lack of sleep affects my memory and other little things, which adds to the list of things to worry about.

Ian, have you looked into help? Sleep is tied to everything. I've been in sales most of my career and suffered a good bit of anxiety and sleep issues. I call it mind racing. When your mind can't shut down for the night because you just keep going over your problems over and over. I also had the foot tapping. I finally decided to get help. I think all too often doctors try to medicate everything without much problem solving. Also putting people on highly addictive meds. 

That said, about 13 years ago, I got help. Many sessions with the same therapist. She put me on the perfect balance of meds with a diet and more exercise.  My meds are all non addictive which includes a great sleeping pill.  This solved the problem. Now I still get anxious in heavy stress situations which is normal. The big change is, little, normal things don't bother me like they did and I rarely mind race. I get good sleep about 80% of the time, which is much better than it was which is about 30% of the time.

Everyone is different but trust me, looking deeper into your situation will probably solve some issues. 

Discuss this with a doctor(s). I’m sure they can help you. One thing I’ve learned from a doctor is when something is really bothering you try to think of something pleasant. It works well for me especially at bed time. I’m sure it’s very frustrating, good luck to both you and your girl friend with her Covid. 

On 9/19/2022 at 1:19 PM, utenation said:

Ian, have you looked into help? Sleep is tied to everything. I've been in sales most of my career and suffered a good bit of anxiety and sleep issues. I call it mind racing. When your mind can't shut down for the night because you just keep going over your problems over and over. I also had the foot tapping. I finally decided to get help. I think all too often doctors try to medicate everything without much problem solving. Also putting people on highly addictive meds. 

That said, about 13 years ago, I got help. Many sessions with the same therapist. She put me on the perfect balance of meds with a diet and more exercise.  My meds are all non addictive which includes a great sleeping pill.  This solved the problem. Now I still get anxious in heavy stress situations which is normal. The big change is, little, normal things don't bother me like they did and I rarely mind race. I get good sleep about 80% of the time, which is much better than it was which is about 30% of the time.

Everyone is different but trust me, looking deeper into your situation will probably solve some issues. 

Being in sales is what started my sleep issues.. I’d have to take phone calls in the middle of the night sometimes, and just the anticipation of getting a late night call made it to where I didn’t sleep some nights. 

I’ve been working out again since May and have lost 30 pounds. Last time I went to the doctor I had a BMI test which said I was obese.. kinda caught me by surprise, I was 6’3” 230lbs. Sure I was starting to get a little round in the middle but didn’t think I was obese. Even down to 200 I’m overweight technically, but I have noticed a small improvement in my ability to stay asleep. I did get prescribed Lunesta for sleep but it leaves this terrible metallic taste in my mouth and I just can’t stand it.

On 9/19/2022 at 2:57 PM, IanforHeisman said:

Being in sales is what started my sleep issues.. I’d have to take phone calls in the middle of the night sometimes, and just the anticipation of getting a late night call made it to where I didn’t sleep some nights. 

I’ve been working out again since May and have lost 30 pounds. Last time I went to the doctor I had a BMI test which said I was obese.. kinda caught me by surprise, I was 6’3” 230lbs. Sure I was starting to get a little round in the middle but didn’t think I was obese. Even down to 200 I’m overweight technically, but I have noticed a small improvement in my ability to stay asleep. I did get prescribed Lunesta for sleep but it leaves this terrible metallic taste in my mouth and I just can’t stand it.

I think BMI is bullshit. Not all 6 foot dudes are built the same. Genetics isn’t accounted for.  It’s a basic, broad sweep at weight ratio. 

A few years ago, my doctor said I should be 165. I work out a lot and have good muscle mass. I’m not lean but there is no way this body will ever be 165 lbs. I was a tiny runt in high school and weighed 155 lbs.  

200 lbs is a good weight for me. I need to drop a few lbs. 

On 9/19/2022 at 6:02 PM, utenation said:

I think BMI is bullshit. Not all 6 foot dudes are built the same. Genetics isn’t accounted for.  It’s a basic, broad sweep at weight ratio. 

A few years ago, my doctor said I should be 165. I work out a lot and have good muscle mass. I’m not lean but there is no way this body will ever be 165 lbs. I was a tiny runt in high school and weighed 155 lbs.  

I agree, I’m 6’4 and during my tournament fishing days I was at 205lb’s and that was not healthy.  225, 230 is where I think I should be, the Peloton has been a lot of help - as well as limiting my drinking to only Friday and Saturday nights.  

On 9/19/2022 at 4:25 PM, tailingpermit said:

I agree, I’m 6’4 and during my tournament fishing days I was at 205lb’s and that was not healthy.  225, 230 is where I think I should be, the Peloton has been a lot of help - as well as limiting my drinking to only Friday and Saturday nights.  

My biggest danger zones are sugar and late night snacking. I gave up all sodas most sweets and try to cutoff any eating by 8 pm. I don’t always win the battle but I’m much better. 

On 9/19/2022 at 4:02 PM, utenation said:

I am 6’1’’ 185 and I feel like an Ethiopian at times. Everyone my age seems to be getting girthier with age , but me

It seems like if you're a male over 30 and have never been effected by this you're probably in the minority. My advice based on my own experience (everyone is different). Exercise, Exercise, Exercise, then do some more exercise. It helps with most of the issues/symptoms. It will likely also help curve the late night cravings that come on as we age that Utenation referred to in his post. Other than that hobbies, things you can do where your mind is blank or at least focused on the task. Some people woodwork, or play music, it doesnt matter what it is as long as it helps you reach the quiet place, aka the zone.