Jump to content
renoskier

Gov DeSantis - Humanitarian!

Recommended Posts

On 9/16/2022 at 4:42 PM, thelawlorfaithful said:

They do? I don’t watch. I’ll have to take your word for it. Is it accurate?

About as accurate as your take that this whole episode is any kind of attempt to move the national discussion forward and not culture war sillines.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/16/2022 at 6:27 PM, halfmanhalfbronco said:

That is a good point.  It's not fair to expect Oregon keep things as clean and maintained as Idaho, Wyoming and Montana when their areas get 10X the volume.  The areas within 90 minutes of Boise are bad, too.  

People suck, especially in large numbers.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/16/2022 at 10:22 PM, toonkee said:

About as accurate as your take that this whole episode is any kind of attempt to move the national discussion forward and not culture war sillines.

Do we have an immigration problem?

Are the people on power doing anything to address it?

Who exactly controls the levers of power?

Have those people done anything like this before?

Why didn’t we talk about it then?

Let’s have the conversation. You didn’t think I charged into the thread and started busting heads without being on solid ground, did you?

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/16/2022 at 10:37 PM, thelawlorfaithful said:

Do we have an immigration problem?

Are the people on power doing anything to address it?

Who exactly controls the levers of power?

Have those people done anything like this before?

Why didn’t we talk about it then?

Let’s have the conversation. You didn’t think I charged into the thread and started busting heads without being on solid ground, did you?

 

Whatever “they” did, they clearly did it all for awareness, so it’s ok.

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/16/2022 at 11:40 PM, NVGiant said:

Nobody has ever talked about immigration until today. 😂 

But people should be talking about the fact you're a stooge. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/16/2022 at 6:31 AM, NVGiant said:

JFC. These are people. Love their families. Want a better life. People who need baby formula. Set aside the erroneous reports you’re getting that these people are being maltreated by the residents of Martha’s Vineyard. The fact that you’d find their maltreatment funny is beyond my comprehension.

For all your faults as a poster, you’re a guy who runs to the store to buy baby formula for posters you’ve never met. Who cares deeply about the health of feral cats. Finding the funny in people being treated like shit isn’t you. That’s the politics blinding you.

Why would you make the assumption that I think the funny part is the migrants themselves being poor? The obvious funny part is the rich elitist’s that live in MV are known for their hypocrisy. “No renewable energy wind turbines to ruin my view!” They’re all for left policies as long as it never inconveniences them. 

So, the part that’s funny is they think they’re soooo far away from the nearly open Southern border and are totally OK with it as long as border states and towns have to deal with being flooded with homeless migrants. Now suddenly it’s in their neighborhood, and I love seeing rich hypocrites feeling uncomfortable. 

Sure, there are some nice people there willing to help, but the reports of the national guard being called up over 50 migrants and then being moved to a military base in Cape Cod happened because of the so many politically connected being upset about it. 

OBVIOUSLY, the migrants being poor and not having a home is not funny, but very sad. But I didn’t hear you or anyone else express outrage when the Biden administration was secretly flying migrants all over the country late at night and dropping them off to survive in the same exact situation, rather even worse. 

You’re disappointed that I think it’s funny that the border states are spreading the stress and cost of taking in migrants. We’ll, I’m very disappointed in you guys on the left because you somehow think that this status quo of letting massive amounts of migrants flow into this country is compassionate.

Being OK with migrants, women, children have to endure huge areas of complete lawlessness and harsh weather. The unspeakable crimes against them and at the same time drug cartels profiting off them and using them as decoys to get their drugs across. This is compassion, really? 

  • Like 2
  • Facepalm 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/16/2022 at 11:07 PM, Nevada Convert said:

Why would you make the assumption that I think the funny part is the migrants themselves being poor? The obvious funny part is the rich elitist’s that live in MV are known for their hypocrisy. “No renewable energy wind turbines to ruin my view!” They’re all for left policies as long as it never inconveniences them. 

So, the part that’s funny is they think they’re soooo far away from the nearly open Southern border and are totally OK with it as long as border states and towns have to deal with being flooded with homeless migrants. Now suddenly it’s in their neighborhood, and I love seeing rich hypocrites feeling uncomfortable. 

Sure, there are some nice people there willing to help, but the reports of the national guard being called up over 50 migrants and then being moved to a military base in Cape Cod happened because of the so many politically connected being upset about it. 

OBVIOUSLY, the migrants being poor and not having a home is not funny, but very sad. But I didn’t hear you or anyone else express outrage when the Biden administration was secretly flying migrants all over the country late at night and dropping them off to survive in the same exact situation, rather even worse. 

You’re disappointed that I think it’s funny that the border states are spreading the stress and cost of taking in migrants. We’ll, I’m very disappointed in you guys on the left because you somehow think that this status quo of letting massive amounts of migrants flow into this country is compassionate.

Being OK with migrants, women, children have to endure huge areas of complete lawlessness and harsh weather. The unspeakable crimes against them and at the same time drug cartels profiting off them and using them as decoys to get their drugs across. This is compassion, really? 

I didn’t make the assumption. You expressly said it was funny.

Anywho, I’m not for the status quo on immigration anymore than you. But being awful to highlight others’ awfulness is no way to change the status quo.

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/16/2022 at 10:10 PM, Old_SD_Dude said:

How Christian of you. 

OK, well if that's what it takes to expose the hypocrisy of the compassionate left. it is what it is.

How kind of these liberals to be compassionate towards illegal immigrants, when it doesn't impact them.  They aren't in Martha's Vineyard, Beverly Hills, or Silicon Valley.  And besides, their kids aren't in public schools anyway.

And now you are missing the point.  It isn't compassionate or just to encourage illegal immigration.  Do we need to streamline and increase immigration, absolutely.  Do we need to reform the visa process, you bet.  That's not what this administration is doing.  They created this massive inflow with their policy.  This adminstration is playing victim politics regarding the border every bit as much as the Trump administration did, every damned bit as much.  And to boot, Biden is lying and villifying predominantly latino border patrol agents in the process.  

FFS, NYC and Chicago are self pro claimed sanctuary cities, and yet are outraged when illegal immigrants are dropped off in their cities.  The guy from Marthas Vineyard said, and I quote "they will have to leave the island, we don't have the infrastructure".  You think these little border towns have the infrastructure?  You guys are off the hook ridiculous about this.

  • Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Facepalm 1
  • OG R-Tard 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/16/2022 at 9:34 PM, smltwnrckr said:

Comparing CA ag to FL ag is like comparing a dump truck to a Tonka truck.

Visa reform is the solution, not encouraging illegal immigration.  The illegal is far more likely to be exploited by a labor contractor than someone with a visa.  Look man, I remember when my girlfirend was working at the blockbuster in Tulare, and this old guy came in and walked straight up to her because she was latina and he assumed she spoke spanish.  The labor contractor had stiffed him his pay, and just dropped him off on the road.  He had no recourse.  So he walked into the place looking for help.

I'm not some heartless asshole.  And I know you aren't either.  I think you and I are similar in the fact that we, and our families, live and work in a predominantly latino community.  We have a similar perspective, and I respect your opinion on this.  But I honestly think Biden's policy has been just as manipulative, destructive, and self serving as Trump's was on this issue.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/16/2022 at 8:23 PM, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Do you have any qualms with what the migrants were told by those who got them on the plane?  That there was a special gift waiting for them along with housing and work?  What about the addressees they had them put down, from all over the country?  

First of all, let's not just jump on the bandwagon regarding what they were told.  That's an allegation, made by democrat politicians.

Second of all, the Biden administration has been accused of doing the same thing with "lateral transfers" where they think they are going to get to stay, and then deportation into places in Mexico where they have no contacts.

So you think they trekked their asses all the way on foot and bus from central america, leaving behind everything they own, and everyone they know to get here.  But a weekend in Martha's Vineyard is going to break their fragile souls?

  • Cheers 1
  • OG R-Tard 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/17/2022 at 12:49 AM, CPslograd said:

First of all, let's not just jump on the bandwagon regarding what they were told.  That's an allegation, made by democrat politicians.

Second of all, the Biden administration has been accused of doing the same thing with "lateral transfers" where they think they are going to get to stay, and then deportation into places in Mexico where they have no contacts.

So you think they trekked their asses all the way on foot and bus from central america, leaving behind everything they own, and everyone they know to get here.  But a weekend in Martha's Vineyard is going to break their fragile souls?

I don't think anyone blames border communities for not wanting to shoulder the burden of the immigration system alone.  I can't say I blame them for wanting to buy bus tickets out of the state/area.  Quite frankly, it would be a federal failure if the administration wasn't trying to work on spreading this burden throughout the country.  One of the biggest issues is making sure their court dates are flexible so they can come to court in whichever part of the country they are staying. 

The problem I have is when governors from states that aren't even on the US/Mexico border are not even asking the immigrants where they want to go.  He is chartering a plane and calling Fox news to cover the landing and further displacing these human pawns.  Why would they ever go to Martha's Vineyard?  Are their jobs for them there?  If you gave them a ride to any place in the USA would that be where they would choose to go? 

The obvious answer is "no."  Most would choose to go to blue cities where they may have family or immigrant communities and potential job prospects.   None of them want anything to do with depressing, jobless, rural red American communities and you certainly haven't given them a path to be badly needed farm workers.   So why are these Red areas so up in arms anyway exactly as THEY are not bearing the brunt either?:shrug:

Buying them a bus ticket to a city of their choosing like Los Angeles, or Houston, or Chicago, or Minneapolis won't get the base and Fox News excited!  Only cruel practical jokes at the expense of the libs and the brownies do that trick!

  • Like 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/17/2022 at 12:37 AM, CPslograd said:

Visa reform is the solution, not encouraging illegal immigration.  The illegal is far more likely to be exploited by a labor contractor than someone with a visa.  Look man, I remember when my girlfirend was working at the blockbuster in Tulare, and this old guy came in and walked straight up to her because she was latina and he assumed she spoke spanish.  The labor contractor had stiffed him his pay, and just dropped him off on the road.  He had no recourse.  So he walked into the place looking for help.

I'm not some heartless asshole.  And I know you aren't either.  I think you and I are similar in the fact that we, and our families, live and work in a predominantly latino community.  We have a similar perspective, and I respect your opinion on this.  But I honestly think Biden's policy has been just as manipulative, destructive, and self serving as Trump's was on this issue.

The only way to get Visa reform so that we can get badly needed agricultural and other such workers is to bring it through the legislature.  No MAGA Republicans will ever do this because they have brown people and say they will only ever vote for Democrats if they ever get a green card and eventual citizenship. 

You have heard that argument made on here multiple times.  Immigrants are automatic "Democrat" votes and the only reason Democrats want to reform the system is to create more dependent welfare recipients who will automatically vote for them and whom they can control so Republicans will never win another election again.   They say until we "enforce existing laws" and deport every person who is not in the country on a valid VISA and 100% any illegal crossing on the border they will not work to change any laws because doing so is "amnesty."

Find me 10 senate Republicans to write an new immigration law who won't pander to this line of thinking and we will get something done.  Since those Republican senators don't exist, the only solution to this and most other problems of our day that require a pragmatic legislative solution is Democratic control of the senate and the elimination of the filibuster.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/17/2022 at 5:44 AM, Akkula said:

The only way to get Visa reform so that we can get badly needed agricultural and other such workers is to bring it through the legislature.  No MAGA Republicans will ever do this because they have brown people and say they will only ever vote for Democrats if they ever get a green card and eventual citizenship. 

You have heard that argument made on here multiple times.  Immigrants are automatic "Democrat" votes and the only reason Democrats want to reform the system is to create more dependent welfare recipients who will automatically vote for them and whom they can control so Republicans will never win another election again.   They say until we "enforce existing laws" and deport every person who is not in the country on a valid VISA and 100% any illegal crossing on the border they will not work to change any laws because doing so is "amnesty."

Find me 10 senate Republicans to write an new immigration law who won't pander to this line of thinking and we will get something done.  Since those Republican senators don't exist, the only solution to this and most other problems of our day that require a pragmatic legislative solution is Democratic control of the senate and the elimination of the filibuster.

This is basically it. 
 

All the “sensible Republicans” who are being pragmatic in this thread about the “immigration problem” have not voted for a single person who would fix that problem in their entire lives. Because they support Republicans.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/16/2022 at 4:33 PM, smltwnrckr said:

Also, try not to have too many Brewtuses, or you won't be able to get your little Cesar up after the date.

That's amateur shit.  Get down first,  then go out

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/16/2022 at 11:28 PM, CPslograd said:

OK, well if that's what it takes to expose the hypocrisy of the compassionate left. it is what it is.

How kind of these liberals to be compassionate towards illegal immigrants, when it doesn't impact them.  They aren't in Martha's Vineyard, Beverly Hills, or Silicon Valley.  And besides, their kids aren't in public schools anyway.

And now you are missing the point.  It isn't compassionate or just to encourage illegal immigration.  Do we need to streamline and increase immigration, absolutely.  Do we need to reform the visa process, you bet.  That's not what this administration is doing.  They created this massive inflow with their policy.  This adminstration is playing victim politics regarding the border every bit as much as the Trump administration did, every damned bit as much.  And to boot, Biden is lying and villifying predominantly latino border patrol agents in the process.  

FFS, NYC and Chicago are self pro claimed sanctuary cities, and yet are outraged when illegal immigrants are dropped off in their cities.  The guy from Marthas Vineyard said, and I quote "they will have to leave the island, we don't have the infrastructure".  You think these little border towns have the infrastructure?  You guys are off the hook ridiculous about this.

I’m awful because they’re awful. Hypocrites aren’t hard to find on the left or the right. So what good does it do to make them look that way when every one of us already know it’s true?

The left has failed on immigration, to be sure. And is just as guilty of demagoguery on this issue as the right. And neither this administration nor the Obama administration is innocent of treating people inhumanely along the border, even if neither reached the lows of Trump. But this stuff is wrong even if ultimately this spectacle leads to a better outcome for these 50 migrants.

No larger point was made. No policy initiatives moved forward. No deeper discourse opened. It just made one side look callous and another side look ridiculous. Two things we already knew were true. It didn’t change one person’s mind.

I can’t +++++ing stand our politics.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...