Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jackrabbit

Govt Parenting Interferance

https://cowboystatedaily.com/2022/09/14/sweetwater-school-board-defends-teachers-hiding-students-transgender-status-from-parents/

Its going on in Cheyenne, now Rock Springs.   If this is Wyoming I cant imagine what the hell is going on in other parts of the country.  Govt has long been trying to replace the core family; just another step.

Jack, I went to high school at Poudre High School in Fort Collins. I lived in Wellington at the time.

I had a friend - not really a close friend, but I guy I knew and sometimes hung out with, he also lived in Wellington. His dad was a preacher and ran a youth ministry in town. Decent kid, we called him "poofy" because he had that mid-aughts long hair but didn't know how to handle it so he always had a big poofy hair. anyway.

This kid told me around his sophomore year that he thought he might be (gasp) bisexual. Ok, whatever. 

I started giving him and another kid from Wellington a ride to and from school every day. they got to sleep in a half an hour later than if they took the bus, I had people to talk to on the boring drive. Great! This kid started to look... down. real down. Apparently his dad had found out about his "desires". He started trying to exorcise them out of him. The scant details I heard were.... abusive in the extreme, Jack. Kid just lies to his dad and says "yeah whatever no more urges". 

The next year, my senior year, the kid starts dressing more goth. dyes his hair black, a little more femme presenting, stops riding with me to and from school. I'm not in any classes with him, but I see him around the school, so he's getting there somehow. I talk to him, see what's up. He figured out that he's gay - that happened a while ago, but it got back to his dad. He wasn't sure who - wellington sucked ass then, so couda been kids being a narc, coulda been a teacher, coulda been the bus driver. whatever. the dad flies into a rage and kicks the kid out of his home, at 17. just the clothes on his back. thankfully, he made really good friends with some other gay kids at school so he wasn't homeless. He oculdn't sign anyhting for himself, he barely managed to get his social security card, he didn't have a job. he was relying on the welfare of another family to eat and be housed. 

Some parents just suck ass Jack. Teachers should absolutely hide their "status" from them. My friend is ok now. He could have easily been homeless, had to drop out, have to turn to prostitution. People shutting their damn mouths would have saved him a TON of abuse from his shit ass parents. 

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

On 9/15/2022 at 8:36 AM, Jackrabbit said:

https://cowboystatedaily.com/2022/09/14/sweetwater-school-board-defends-teachers-hiding-students-transgender-status-from-parents/

Its going on in Cheyenne, now Rock Springs.   If this is Wyoming I cant imagine what the hell is going on in other parts of the country.  Govt has long been trying to replace the core family; just another step.

First, I didn't read the link from past lessons.  Switch the issue to any number of social or psychological behaviors.  There's always judgment involved when dealing with teens. The specific matters, the age of the teens, the context of the family and more are factors.  School officials have duties to report matters of serious self-harm, but they should not be required to report all social and psychological behavior.  You wouldn't require a teacher to inform a parent if a student informed they were sexually active or they had some beers at a party.  It's not the schools job to be the parent's kid spy. 

That said, it's a sticky wicket.  I had to deal with this in my last few years.  Parents were just as confused as their confused kids.  I wouldn't lie for a student, but there are ways to have  conversations with parents/guardians that put the responsibility on their shoulders without going into a lot of specific personal stuff.

I had one parent who would switch gender references regarding their kid.  I had another student who wanted to be male at school and was female at home.  Parents of the latter never contacted me in any way (true for the whole school, iirc).  These were older teens who both reached 18 by graduation.  

I'm pretty convinced of the transitory, social influenced nature of the phenomenon of the rise in transgender matters for young people.  It's just not schools' job to fvcking fix every fvcking issue in society.  Let those parents take responsibility. 

Um, the linked story covers a hypothetical conversation. It does not discuss a specific incident.

Second, the important line... "if the school believes student safety is in question" in there. 

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

On 9/15/2022 at 7:36 AM, Jackrabbit said:

Are you saying teachers know the children better than their own parents?

Sounds like a parent problem to me.

On 9/15/2022 at 10:13 AM, renoskier said:

Are you saying teachers know the children better than their own parents?

Sounds like a parent problem to me.

My mom was a school administrator for decades. Can confirm that teachers know students better than parents when the parents are disinterested (which is, sadly, more often than you'd think).

5809184128_5cf90ed7dc_b.jpg

On 9/15/2022 at 8:46 AM, IanforHeisman said:

Why are Republicans so afraid of transgenders..   

Never said I feared anything...but not knowing important things about your kid scares the hell out of me.   I am thinking the parent may need to be more involved at home and should have an idea.

We don't know how the school is counciling the kid in this kind of closed system.  Do they encourage the kid to talk with parents or ask permission to involve them? Is the councilor encouraging transition?  Kids are impressionable and can be talked into life changing decisions easily.

On 9/15/2022 at 8:36 AM, Jackrabbit said:

Pretty sick stuff.

You know, what I've noticed is that progressives, no matter the place, no matter how red the state/city/county etc. are the ones that are enthusiastic about running for public office and especially schools boards. They have authoritarian tenancies and desire to tell you and your children how to live your lives. They think they know better than you and lust after the power to control you. They want to make your decisions for you. It's sick.

On 9/15/2022 at 12:31 PM, Bob said:

Pretty sick stuff.

You know, what I've noticed is that progressives, no matter the place, no matter how red the state/city/county etc. are the ones that are enthusiastic about running for public office and especially schools boards. They have authoritarian tenancies and desire to tell you and your children how to live your lives. They think they know better than you and lust after the power to control you. They want to make your decisions for you. It's sick.

this whole thing is about parents wanting to make decisions for their kids lmao

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

On 9/15/2022 at 8:50 AM, happycamper said:

Jack, I went to high school at Poudre High School in Fort Collins. I lived in Wellington at the time.

I had a friend - not really a close friend, but I guy I knew and sometimes hung out with, he also lived in Wellington. His dad was a preacher and ran a youth ministry in town. Decent kid, we called him "poofy" because he had that mid-aughts long hair but didn't know how to handle it so he always had a big poofy hair. anyway.

This kid told me around his sophomore year that he thought he might be (gasp) bisexual. Ok, whatever. 

I started giving him and another kid from Wellington a ride to and from school every day. they got to sleep in a half an hour later than if they took the bus, I had people to talk to on the boring drive. Great! This kid started to look... down. real down. Apparently his dad had found out about his "desires". He started trying to exorcise them out of him. The scant details I heard were.... abusive in the extreme, Jack. Kid just lies to his dad and says "yeah whatever no more urges". 

The next year, my senior year, the kid starts dressing more goth. dyes his hair black, a little more femme presenting, stops riding with me to and from school. I'm not in any classes with him, but I see him around the school, so he's getting there somehow. I talk to him, see what's up. He figured out that he's gay - that happened a while ago, but it got back to his dad. He wasn't sure who - wellington sucked ass then, so couda been kids being a narc, coulda been a teacher, coulda been the bus driver. whatever. the dad flies into a rage and kicks the kid out of his home, at 17. just the clothes on his back. thankfully, he made really good friends with some other gay kids at school so he wasn't homeless. He oculdn't sign anyhting for himself, he barely managed to get his social security card, he didn't have a job. he was relying on the welfare of another family to eat and be housed. 

Some parents just suck ass Jack. Teachers should absolutely hide their "status" from them. My friend is ok now. He could have easily been homeless, had to drop out, have to turn to prostitution. People shutting their damn mouths would have saved him a TON of abuse from his shit ass parents. 

Huge difference between being trans and gay. Apples to oranges

On 9/15/2022 at 12:34 PM, Bob said:

Huge difference between being trans and gay. Apples to oranges

No, there isn't.

Bob, would your kids be safe at home if they were transgender?

On 9/15/2022 at 10:37 AM, happycamper said:

No, there isn't.

Bob, would your kids be safe at home if they were transgender?

There's no difference between a supposedly immutable characteristic and actively doing things (harmful things) to your body to attempt to change your sex? OK

On 9/15/2022 at 9:21 AM, Jackrabbit said:

Never said I feared anything...but not knowing important things about your kid scares the hell out of me.   I am thinking the parent may need to be more involved at home and should have an idea.

We don't know how the school is counciling the kid in this kind of closed system.  Do they encourage the kid to talk with parents or ask permission to involve them? Is the councilor encouraging transition?  Kids are impressionable and can be talked into life changing decisions easily.

Seems like you should at least be directing some criticism toward shit-ass parents and not just falling back into a lazy government-is-the-root-of-all-evil narrative.

Raising kids is really complicated, as you know. Especially teenagers. But if a kid is hiding something as big as this from their parents, there stands at least a fair chance that the kid has at least some reason for it. I mean, you seem like a good dad. Would your kids come to you if they were going through something this big? You never know unless it happens, but I think mine would.

On 9/15/2022 at 12:38 PM, Bob said:

There's no difference between a supposedly immutable characteristic and actively doing things (harmful things) to your body to attempt to change your sex? OK

No, bob. brain structure is also immutable.

would your kids be safe at home if they were trans?

On 9/15/2022 at 9:38 AM, Bob said:

Kids are hiding gender reassignment surgeries from their parents? You think that this is what this issue is about?

On 9/15/2022 at 11:31 AM, Bob said:

Pretty sick stuff.

I love irony.

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

On 9/15/2022 at 9:04 AM, grandjean87 said:

First, I didn't read the link from past lessons.  Switch the issue to any number of social or psychological behaviors.  There's always judgment involved when dealing with teens. The specific matters, the age of the teens, the context of the family and more are factors.  School officials have duties to report matters of serious self-harm, but they should not be required to report all social and psychological behavior.  You wouldn't require a teacher to inform a parent if a student informed they were sexually active or they had some beers at a party.  It's not the schools job to be the parent's kid spy. 

That said, it's a sticky wicket.  I had to deal with this in my last few years.  Parents were just as confused as their confused kids.  I wouldn't lie for a student, but there are ways to have  conversations with parents/guardians that put the responsibility on their shoulders without going into a lot of specific personal stuff.

I had one parent who would switch gender references regarding their kid.  I had another student who wanted to be male at school and was female at home.  Parents of the latter never contacted me in any way (true for the whole school, iirc).  These were older teens who both reached 18 by graduation.  

I'm pretty convinced of the transitory, social influenced nature of the phenomenon of the rise in transgender matters for young people.  It's just not schools' job to fvcking fix every fvcking issue in society.  Let those parents take responsibility. 

Say a kid is confused about his sex/gender...

Did the school councilor coach/groom the kid?

Is the kid taking any hormone drugs supplied to him by the school?

Did the councilor encourage the kid to talk to the parents? 

Is the kid telling the truth?

Is the kid influenced by popular media?

Without the parent, we will never know will we. Having some shitty parents out there is no excuse for covering this up.

If the school calls home because the kids a bully, in a fight, sick, cant learn or whatever they are already involved.   Teachers are already teaching their morals and political views....Suddenly drawing a line on this issue is wrong .