Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Reverend

Here is your MWC in 2 years time.

On 9/7/2022 at 10:38 PM, utgrizfan said:

I agree for the most part. With the expanded playoff I think ND will most likely stay Independent meaning if they add 4 Western schools it will be Oregon, Washington Stanford and either CAL or Utah with me leaning towards Utah as the BIG10 Comissioner did mention wanting a Mountain timezone team during their media days (I believe)

IF (big if) this happens there's a good chance that the remaining schools would stick together for the exit fees, Bowl tie ins ext. Colorado in particular seems to hate the idea of going back to the BIG12 so the PAC will backfill with 6 MWC teams, creating the new PAC12:

WEST: Hawaii, CAL, OSU, FSU, SDSU, UNLV

EAST: WSU, BSU, Colorado, ASU, Arizona, CSU

The remaining 6 MWC schools would be forced to backfill to survive and ensuring the demise of CUSA and potentially snagging a few other schools from the Sunbelt and AAC. Tulsa, UTEP, NMSU, SHSU and maybe Texas State would all be options. Me being biased would hope the Montanas would get asked to move up making the new MWC look like:

WEST: SJSU, Nevada, USU, Montana, MSU, WYO

EAST: UNM, UTEP, NMSU, AF (and 2 out of the 3) Tulsa/TXST/SHSU

(*NOTE: The MWC is moving away from Divisions but it's easier to write this out then the rivalry game list*).

Not a terrible looking MWC IMO.

MW Board posters keep putting Cal into a Conference without AAU Schools. The Bears will go Indy and play other Academic juggernauts before joining the lowly MW.

You can bank that.

"We don't have evidence but, we have lot's of theories."

Americans Mayor

On 9/8/2022 at 8:32 AM, Gator 82 said:

True, but it wasn’t a Texas only conference. If I’m not mistaken the conference included Oklahoma, Oklahoma St. and Arkansas.

No, the old SWC had Arkansas and they left. The Okies were in the Big 8 with Colorado, Mizzou, and Nebraska.

"We don't have evidence but, we have lot's of theories."

Americans Mayor

On 9/8/2022 at 10:14 AM, Reverend said:

As for Washington and Oregon, they maybe going to the Big Ten but they won't be making Big Ten money. They won't even be making ISC and UCLA money. Big 12 could and hopefully will try that move on the PAC schools which will keep them together.

Washington and Oregon IMHO should desperately want out of the Pac. Without USC and UCLA, Washington and Oregon, both in recruiting and quality conference matchups will suffer and start on a downward cycle. I also feel that USC and UCLA want western teams to solidify their new position in the Big 10 (and NOT Cal and Stanford).

If Washington and Oregon can figure out a path into the Big 10, I think the Big 12 will respond with a hard push for the 4 Corners schools and the Pac is in serious reconfiguration mode, inviting MWC schools. There could be additional Pac fallout (Stanford and Cal) if Notre Dame goes Big 10.

Regardless, the more desirable programs currently in the MWC will be in line for a financial upgrade, nowhere near P5 money, but a decent upgrade none the less. Keep in mind that Oregon State and Washington State are currently worth a lot more than any MWC schools and the top MWC schools are worth more than the bottom MWC schools. Sum total is a nice pay raise for the top MWC schools.

Whether by design or organically, conferences in this current realignment craze have the opportunity to disassociate from their bottom feeders (like the Pac leaving OSU and Wazzu on an island, even though it basically dissolves their conference!)

As a final note, I have absolutely no idea what will happen with the ACC, and that could play a huge factor in a number of conference scenarios.

On 9/8/2022 at 4:25 AM, Reverend said:

Yeah, I didn't explain that well at all. It suppose to be 5 from the PAC, add ND, and have 20 teams but stay at 19 if ND stays independent. With the PAC I was thinking of the 4 TV markets.

Screw Notre Da…..I mean Neutered Dame. North Dakota of the state would be much better! 

kat.jpg

On 9/9/2022 at 8:27 AM, Spaztecs said:

In that scenario the MW backfills with NMSU, UTEP, Tulsa, and Montana's or Dakotas.

I was thinking about this - it would make more sense for the remaining PAC teams (4 or more) to take enough MWC schools to kill the MWC.

1. No exit fees

2. Less competition for the college football playoff

3. And to a lesser extent, less competition for tv dollars

I'm guessing that would mean 8 of the 11/12 schools going Pac, correct?

On 9/9/2022 at 10:24 PM, Gonzagafan2021 said:

Any news on Gonzaga?

It doesnt exist.

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

On 9/14/2022 at 10:33 PM, Gonzagafan2021 said:

Did you know Craig Thompson was gonna step down?

Nope. I've also been in the Great Smoky Mountains for 3 days and a lots happened while I was gone.

I am Halfmanhalfbronco's bitch.

On 9/14/2022 at 10:52 PM, AztecSU said:

My guess is PAC wants $400m and the offer is $300m, isn't the projected value around $350m?

PAC wants in the mid 40's for a 5 year deal. ESPN's offer is in the mid to high 20's. Not sure that's for 5 or 7 years.

Possible SDSU gets a PAC invite in a week or two for $12 - $16 million. No decision was made on the other school or schools yet but Fresno, Boise, UNLV, and SMU are the only realistic possibilities. Also heard the Big 12 finally talked to SDSU.

Big 12 has talked to everyone in the PAC over the last week. They even talked to Oregon State and Wazzu.

On 9/14/2022 at 8:10 PM, Reverend said:

PAC wants in the mid 40's for a 5 year deal. ESPN's offer is in the mid to high 20's. Not sure that's for 5 or 7 years.

Possible SDSU gets a PAC invite in a week or two for $12 - $16 million. No decision was made on the other school or schools yet but Fresno, Boise, UNLV, and SMU are the only realistic possibilities. Also heard the Big 12 finally talked to SDSU.

Big 12 has talked to everyone in the PAC over the last week. They even talked to Oregon State and Wazzu.

SDSU has been talking to the B12 for awhile :ph34r:

On 9/14/2022 at 11:29 PM, AztecSU said:

SDSU has been talking to the B12 for awhile :ph34r:

Guess that depends on who you ask and how long a while is. But the mystery west coast team the big 12 was talking to in the Pacific time zone was Oregon. Not SDSU.

On 9/9/2022 at 8:49 AM, SparkysDad said:

Washington and Oregon IMHO should desperately want out of the Pac. Without USC and UCLA, Washington and Oregon, both in recruiting and quality conference matchups will suffer and start on a downward cycle. I also feel that USC and UCLA want western teams to solidify their new position in the Big 10 (and NOT Cal and Stanford).

If Washington and Oregon can figure out a path into the Big 10, I think the Big 12 will respond with a hard push for the 4 Corners schools and the Pac is in serious reconfiguration mode, inviting MWC schools. There could be additional Pac fallout (Stanford and Cal) if Notre Dame goes Big 10.

Regardless, the more desirable programs currently in the MWC will be in line for a financial upgrade, nowhere near P5 money, but a decent upgrade none the less. Keep in mind that Oregon State and Washington State are currently worth a lot more than any MWC schools and the top MWC schools are worth more than the bottom MWC schools. Sum total is a nice pay raise for the top MWC schools.

Whether by design or organically, conferences in this current realignment craze have the opportunity to disassociate from their bottom feeders (like the Pac leaving OSU and Wazzu on an island, even though it basically dissolves their conference!)

As a final note, I have absolutely no idea what will happen with the ACC, and that could play a huge factor in a number of conference scenarios.

Oregon seems to be doing just fine recruiting without USC. I don't see them having any issues picking up quality OOC games. But sure, 40 million more a year would be hard to pass up.

On 9/16/2022 at 11:29 AM, Someone Else said:

I meant who said the b12 has a mystery wc team ... was it the commish or some blogger?

The commish mentioned the Big 12 talking with a West Coast school.

“Obviously going out West is where I would like to go,” Yormark said, according to Sports Illustrated, citing the reporting of Justin Williams of The Athletic. “Entering that fourth time zone. A program that has national recognition. One that competes at the highest level in basketball and football, stands for the right things, is a good cultural fit.”

https://www.athleticbusiness.com/operations/governing-bodies/article/15296497/big-12-commissioner-eyes-west-coast-for-expansion