Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

thelawlorfaithful

OT: Aaron Judge chasing Maris and Ruth

On 9/21/2022 at 12:12 PM, UNLV2001 said:

Carl Yastrzemski's . 301 in the 1968 American League was the lowest batting average ever to lead a league.

That was also the era where they raised the mound. All pitchers were dicing up hitters. Gibson and Koufax were like serial killers out there.

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

On 9/21/2022 at 4:21 PM, misplacedcowboy said:

My pet-peeve... why does baseball always separate AL vs. NL stats? Is it really that impressive to lead a statistical category when half of MLB is out of contention? I guess it made more sense with different DH rules and old habits die slowly, but still...

Inter-league play wasn’t introduced until the mid-90’s. If teams didn’t play in the World Series there were guys most people would never see. Archaic sure, but it’s an old game with a lot of ghosts. 

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

My pet-peeve... why does baseball always separate AL vs. NL stats? Is it really that impressive to lead a statistical category when half of MLB is out of contention? I guess it made more sense with different DH rules and old habits die slowly, but still...

To many people 61 is the HR record anyways. As Sosa/McGuire/Bonds (the only players with more than 61 HR in a season) were all presumed to have used steroids or the like at some point. 

On 9/21/2022 at 6:21 PM, thedude15 said:

To many people 61 is the HR record anyways. As Sosa/McGuire/Bonds (the only players with more than 61 HR in a season) were all presumed to have used steroids or the like at some point. 

except its not...lol

people trying to say 73 HRs "isn't a real record" now are clinically retarded...lol

The two leagues were totally separate entities for decades -- the only time NL played AL was the world series 

Think the NL is 30 years or so older than the AL.......the the term "senior circuit" for the NL from sportscasters 

Now at least since the 1970's the leagues have moved to become one entity under MLB and in coming years baseball will be no different than NHL, NBA where every teams plays every other team during the season 

NL & AL were sort of like the NFL & AFL.......Superbowl's 1 thru 4 were just the NFL champ playing the AFL champ.......then they merged (after the Jets beat the Colts & the Chiefs beat the Vikings) in 1970 to create the NFC & AFC 

On 9/21/2022 at 2:19 PM, thelawlorfaithful said:

That was also the era where they raised the mound. All pitchers were dicing up hitters. Gibson and Koufax were like serial killers out there.

just catching up...don't think they had "raised" the mound but they did lower it the following year

On 9/21/2022 at 7:30 PM, renoskier said:

they lowered the pitching mound the following year

Yep - 1968 was the year if the pitcher. It was the year Bob Gibson set the ERA record of 1.12 that stands to this day. He pitched 13 shoutouts, 28 complete games and stuck out 268 batters. 

On 9/21/2022 at 9:37 PM, southfresno said:

61 is the real record. You can't convince me that Barry Bonds and Mark McGwire were honest competitors who deserved what they got.

it was the record until 1998...not so much anymore...lol

that was a long time ago...i graduated high school that year...lol

On 9/23/2022 at 8:30 PM, UNLV2001 said:

As you can tell by the audio in that clip most Dodger fans (inc. myself) are happy for Pujols. He was a crowd favorite when he played for LA last season. 👍 Kudos Albert!