Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Headbutt

Rank 'em. Do we dare?

On 9/6/2022 at 12:11 PM, Kirbycreekpoke said:

I think the Bronco’s D is good enough to keep you in most of your games. As long as the secondary figures out to cover the backside on a rollout.  Offense could be a struggle but I wouldn’t let one bad outing be indicative of the whole year. 

You have to understand that Boise fans haven't had to deal with this in a long time. That is the single worst performance all around for their football team in 25 years. And that's coming off the worst season they've had in 25 years. I'm generally considered the resident optimist on this and other boards. I was a Harsin apologist, not because I loved the guy, but he took WAY more flack than he deserved. But even I am having a hard time finding the silver lining here.

The one thing I saw on Twitter that gave me some hope, was when BYU hired a defensive coach in Sataki (sp?) it looked like a horrible hire. Then they got a good OC and everything changed. AA is still a popular guy, but the OC has to go... but that won't be fixed this year.

On 9/6/2022 at 3:22 PM, teappotts said:

He looked better than Shank Bachmeier but that's setting the bar really low. It's going to be a long cold winter in Boise I'm afraid if we're relying on Green to shine. And yes the o-line still sucks buttholes.

I never thought I'd see the day when after one football game, Boise fans are looking forward to the basketball season.

On 9/6/2022 at 3:30 PM, kingpotato said:

I never thought I'd see the day when after one football game, Boise fans are looking forward to the basketball season.

Adding this game on to last year is why I'm not optimistic. The defense I think will figure it out and keep us in a lot of games but they won't be dominant.  The offense is a slow motion train wreck again, lead by our ever dysfunctional QB and o-line.

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. 
         ---Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759.

On 9/6/2022 at 3:42 PM, teappotts said:

Adding this game on to last year is why I'm not optimistic. The defense I think will figure it out and keep us in a lot of games but they won't be dominant.  The offense is a slow motion train wreck again, lead by our ever dysfunctional QB and o-line.

Yeah, it's hard to see how this team has anything more than moderate success. I was hoping for a NY6 bowl and now I'm thinking Potato Bowl.

On 9/6/2022 at 3:27 PM, kingpotato said:

You have to understand that Boise fans haven't had to deal with this in a long time. That is the single worst performance all around for their football team in 25 years. And that's coming off the worst season they've had in 25 years. I'm generally considered the resident optimist on this and other boards. I was a Harsin apologist, not because I loved the guy, but he took WAY more flack than he deserved. But even I am having a hard time finding the silver lining here.

The one thing I saw on Twitter that gave me some hope, was when BYU hired a defensive coach in Sataki (sp?) it looked like a horrible hire. Then they got a good OC and everything changed. AA is still a popular guy, but the OC has to go... but that won't be fixed this year.

You guys remind me of FSU at the tail end of Bowden’s run. That program was good to great from 1980 to the mid 2000s. Almost everybody had down cycles in that period, Bama, USC, Miami, Texas, the Ohio State really everybody. The problem is you get a whole generation of fans that have no idea that ups and down, good seasons and bad seasons are part of the game. It gets to the point that 9-3 is disappointing instead of a reason to extend your coaches contract. The tough part is the only way to reset expectations is to have a couple of really awful seasons so wining isn’t taken for granted by the fan base. (As a Wyoming fan I can say 1/10 I do not recommend) You guys still have a recruiting advantage of most MWC programs and if your coach is smart he’ll shake up the offensive staff in the offseason. If not, he’s probably not smart enough to be your coach. 

On 9/6/2022 at 4:07 PM, Kirbycreekpoke said:

You guys remind me of FSU at the tail end of Bowden’s run. That program was good to great from 1980 to the mid 2000s. Almost everybody had down cycles in that period, Bama, USC, Miami, Texas, the Ohio State really everybody. The problem is you get a whole generation of fans that have no idea that ups and down, good seasons and bad seasons are part of the game. It gets to the point that 9-3 is disappointing instead of a reason to extend your coaches contract. The tough part is the only way to reset expectations is to have a couple of really awful seasons so wining isn’t taken for granted by the fan base. (As a Wyoming fan I can say 1/10 I do not recommend) You guys still have a recruiting advantage of most MWC programs and if your coach is smart he’ll shake up the offensive staff in the offseason. If not, he’s probably not smart enough to be your coach. 

14023329-33b0-4a1c-b99d-c16467a45f83_text.gif

On 9/5/2022 at 3:37 PM, son of a gun said:

Oh no. SDSU is gonna roll all season, and us poor Wyoming fans aren't even worthy to be in the same conference.Our poor team will struggle mightily while SDSU will curbstomp everyone.

29923603713_5457c079b5_z.jpg

Andrew Pease is the long awaited Second Coming of Josh Allen

trump friend GIF

"We don't have evidence but, we have lot's of theories."

Americans Mayor

On 9/5/2022 at 5:22 PM, kingpotato said:

I'm not really sure how many still have Boise so high. I'm trying to remain reluctantly optimistic while also trying to convince myself that OSU might be better than we thought, but it's a hard sell. I wouldn't be shocked if Boise won the conference, but I also wouldn't be shocked if they lost to UNM this week. I generally think that too much of the time people put too much emphasis on the last game, but that last game was so bad I can easily see them being a bottom half team.

Why are they playing a Conference game in week 2 ?

Wtf ?

"We don't have evidence but, we have lot's of theories."

Americans Mayor

On 9/6/2022 at 6:22 PM, Spaztecs said:

Andrew Pease is the long awaited Second Coming of Josh Allen

trump friend GIF

Yes, but Josh Allen was the coming of Casey Bramlet, who was the second coming of Josh Wallwork, who was the second coming of Randy Welniak. Not sure who the first coming was before that - not as much forward passing.

On 9/6/2022 at 4:07 PM, Kirbycreekpoke said:

This is so true. Boise State fans IMHO don't understand that the combination of Chris Petersen, Kellen Moore, a really good OLine with good RB's/WR's along with a defensive line that was almost as good as any in the country led to a true Golden Era for Boise State football that will probably never be repeated.

Think about Chris Petersen's career trajectory of success. I believe as many, many others do, that he was an excellent coach, but he didn't do quite so well once Kellen Moore left the Boise State program and only did slightly better than OK at Washington before leaving the profession (and indirectly tanking that program by having Lake in place to take over his HC role).

Football has so many "moving pieces" that putting them all together consistently over any significant period of time is difficult even with the best resources. Alabama was not always great, even with tremendous resources. And for a program like Boise State, with it's very limited resources, to have the run they did is almost unbelievable and almost certainly not sustainable or even duplicable! 

Boise State will be good again. There are some advantages that won't go away. But even if college football were to stay the same (and it's changing big time!) the odds that Boise State could return to the Golden Era Broncos are about zero, at least in any of our lifetimes.

On 9/7/2022 at 10:46 AM, renoskier said:

Boise football = UNLV bball :shrug:

If the biggest accomplishment UNLV basketball ever achieved was a few Elite Eights you'd be right. Boise St Football never even came close comparably to the heights UNLV did in basketball. 

Rebel18_zps27699187.gif

On 9/7/2022 at 9:25 AM, SparkysDad said:

This is so true. Boise State fans IMHO don't understand that the combination of Chris Petersen, Kellen Moore, a really good OLine with good RB's/WR's along with a defensive line that was almost as good as any in the country led to a true Golden Era for Boise State football that will probably never be repeated.

Think about Chris Petersen's career trajectory of success. I believe as many, many others do, that he was an excellent coach, but he didn't do quite so well once Kellen Moore left the Boise State program and only did slightly better than OK at Washington before leaving the profession (and indirectly tanking that program by having Lake in place to take over his HC role).

Football has so many "moving pieces" that putting them all together consistently over any significant period of time is difficult even with the best resources. Alabama was not always great, even with tremendous resources. And for a program like Boise State, with it's very limited resources, to have the run they did is almost unbelievable and almost certainly not sustainable or even duplicable! 

Boise State will be good again. There are some advantages that won't go away. But even if college football were to stay the same (and it's changing big time!) the odds that Boise State could return to the Golden Era Broncos are about zero, at least in any of our lifetimes.

I've probably told this story here before, but several years back I was working in an office in Meridian.  A couple of my closest friends there were BSU fans.  One day they were talking about some of the recent heartbreaking losses - particularly the one at Nevada and the game against TCU (at home, I think).  They were saying things like "I can't believe we lost that game."

I told them that I realized that Boise State fans hadn't had to deal with this much, but sometimes the other team has quality coaches and players who want to win, too.

On 9/7/2022 at 9:25 AM, SparkysDad said:

This is impressive you're introspective enough to realize this as a Boise fan. With the level of success Boise has had it's only natural to assume/expect it continue. Petersen was a top 5 coach while at Boise. He made very few mistakes and was a trifecta of excellence in: recruiting, developing players and in-game management. You don't find that often and you really don't find someone like that that will stay at a G5 for as long as Petersen did. Solid post. 

There are only two things I can't stand in this world: people who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch.