Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Headbutt

Rank 'em. Do we dare?

Rather than rank the conference, I'd prefer to declare the conference 'Rank' right now.

Half the conference is undefeated with Nevada the cream of the crop at 2-0.  Beyond that, I wouldn't know where to start but I thought I'd open up the thread if anybody wanted to give it a shot.  Personally, I'll wait a few weeks.

On 9/4/2022 at 1:58 PM, Headbutt said:

Rather than rank the conference, I'd prefer to declare the conference 'Rank' right now.

Half the conference is undefeated with Nevada the cream of the crop at 2-0.  Beyond that, I wouldn't know where to start but I thought I'd open up the thread if anybody wanted to give it a shot.  Personally, I'll wait a few weeks.

1 Nevada 

And then the rest 

UNLV has looked the most impressive. But they played a 1 win FCS school who has 50 new players.

Wyoming beat a team with a pulse.

BSU out played a P5 team on the road in the 2nd half 

NM if they still have Rocky Long

The Masters 5k road race All American.

I'd still probably put BSU as the favorite.  

Fresno, Utah St, and SDSU are still up there. 

The rest of the teams are all muddled together.  

Hawaii and SJSU will probably be towards the bottom. 

Unless Wyoming's pass rush and secondary make some big improvements they will be right down there with them.

I wouldn't make a big deal out of UNLV or Nevada's start right now.

On 9/4/2022 at 1:58 PM, Headbutt said:

I need to see more from Nevada.  I would put them at 6 in any rankings.  

thelawlorfaithful, on 31 Dec 2012 - 04:01 AM, said:One of the rules I live by: never underestimate a man in a dandy looking sweater

On 9/4/2022 at 3:41 PM, mugtang said:

I need to see more from Nevada.  I would put them at 6 in any rankings.  

I have them at third in the West, but today you are #1 in the conference.  Have a beer on me.  😁

On 9/4/2022 at 4:27 PM, phxpoke said:

Air Force is going to be close to the top when this is all over 

I think AFA wins it all this year.

Then again my crystal ball has been proven to be dime store junk.

1. Air Force - Did what the were supposed to

2. Fresno - see above

3. Boise - Lost on Road to Pac team

4. SDSU - Lost at home to Pac team

5. Nevada - 2-0 is 2-0

6. Utah State - so, did you get $2million? $3?

7. Wyoming - hell, I dunno... They're interesting at least

8. UNLV - winning makes a difference

9. New Mexico - see above

10. Colorado State - See week 0 Wyoming

11. SJSU - glad they're on the schedule

12. Hawaii - also glad they're on the schedule

On 9/4/2022 at 3:31 PM, EvilPoke said:

1. Air Force - Did what the were supposed to

2. Fresno - see above

3. Boise - Lost on Road to Pac team

4. Nevada - 2-0 is 2-0

5. SDSU - Lost at home to Pac team

6. Utah State - so, did you get $2million? $3?

7. Wyoming - hell, I dunno... They're interesting at least

8. UNLV - winning makes a difference

9. New Mexico - see above

10. Colorado State - See week 0 Wyoming

11. SJSU - glad they're on the schedule

12. Hawaii - also glad they're on the schedule

That's my suspicion right now but I'll say this about the Aztecs. No way in hades will we lose just two games like last year. Our defense was as bad yesterday as it was only a single time in 2021 (against USU in the MW title game) and our offense isn't any better because Hoke is determined to keep Jeff Hecklinski as his OC. We're headed for a 7-5 regular season and a berth in the Toilet Bowl against somebody from the MAC.

On 9/4/2022 at 3:27 PM, phxpoke said:

Air Force is going to be close to the top when this is all over 

Air Force is the clear favorite in the Mountain. As of right now they are the favorite in every single game on their schedule. Also they host Boise (the preseason favorite in the mountain) and don't have to play Fresno in a cross over game (the preseason west favorite). Their MW schedule isn't perfect but it is definitely favorable. 

On 9/4/2022 at 4:44 PM, thedude15 said:

Air Force is the clear favorite in the Mountain. As of right now they are the favorite in every single game on their schedule. Also they host Boise (the preseason favorite in the mountain) and don't have to play Fresno in a cross over game (the preseason west favorite). Their MW schedule isn't perfect but it is definitely favorable. 

They could totally go undefeated. Their P5 game is against the hairy cows up in Boulder.

On 9/4/2022 at 3:41 PM, 818SUDSFan said:

That's my suspicion right now but I'll say this about the Aztecs. No way in hades will we lose just two games like last year. Our defense was as bad yesterday as it was only a single time in 2021 (against USU in the MW title game) and our offense isn't any better because Hoke is determined to keep Jeff Hecklinski as his OC. We're headed for a 7-5 regular season and a berth in the Toilet Bowl against somebody from the MAC.

SDSU went 6-0 in one score games last year. I know part of that is the style the team plays and execution of the players BUT part of that is also luck. They will very likely regress more to the mean on that number this year. 

My honest guess for SDSU is 8-4 (6-2). Lose @Utah and go 1-2 @Fresno, @BSU, vs Air Force. If their one win of that group is @Fresno 6-2 could be enough to win the West, if they drop that game @Fresno they are probably not making the MW champ game. 

On 9/4/2022 at 5:42 PM, thelawlorfaithful said:

image.gif

CSU too high

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

My take under "Rank them Now":

TIER 1:

Air Force: Looked like the team to beat in the MWC

Fresno State: Played an inproved but still rebuilding Cal Poly, this week will be a much better measuring stick game against a good OSU.

Boise State: Going to be a long season if they can't get going for half the game.

USU: Got paid, pretty much what was expected. Similar to BSU can't afford slow starts.

TIER 2:

SDSU: Might get some flack for this but the Aztecs yesterday didn't seem like the Aztecs we know, outside the lack of a passing attack. 

CSU: Rough outing vs Michigan, should rebound nicely against MTSU.

Nevada: 2-0 with a more then likely chance to start 3-0, could surprise some people this season.

Wyoming: Cowboys bounced back nicely despite trying to hand Tulsa the game late. 

TIER 3:

UNLV: Rebels here because unlike a certain Spartan program they beat the crap out of their projected lower tier Big Sky school. Next week will be a much better game to gauge how good they are.

TIER 4:

SJSU: Spartans were lucky to get the win against a PSU squad who is projected in the lower end of the Big Sky. Later in the year this could be proven wrong, until then the Spartans can look forward to WEEK 3.

New Mexico: Lobos got a win, won't see another until maybe Week 3.

Hawaii: Rough to watch the last few weeks and they have brutal opponent coming up. Look forward to the end of Sept. with 2 winnable games, hoping the best for Chang and Co.