Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dogday63

SDSU alleged rapists - civil suit has been filed

On 8/26/2022 at 10:51 AM, Old_SD_Dude said:

Even a "Punt God" is still just a punter. I find it difficult to believe the Bills will feel he's worth the baggage. I've suspected for awhile this is why he went later in the draft than originally expected. 

Did he have any guaranteed money? If not I hope he finishes out the season so every single cent he ever made playing football goes to Jane Doe.  And every single cent he makes in the future flipping burgers, relegating him to living out of a van in South Dakota or something.  

On 8/26/2022 at 11:58 AM, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Did he have any guaranteed money? If not I hope he finishes out the season so every single cent he ever made playing football goes to Jane Doe.  And every single cent he makes in the future flipping burgers, relegating him to living out of a van in South Dakota or something.  

200k.

https://overthecap.com/player/matt-araiza/10225

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

On 8/26/2022 at 7:57 AM, WYO1016 said:

Civil attorneys are the scum of the Earth. They encourage people to sue for damages in cases that are, for the most part, not accepted by prosecutors, then take a large portion of the money awarded by the jury. They can all die a slow, painful death. It would make the world a better place.

Lol wtf

On 8/26/2022 at 8:00 AM, OrediggerPoke said:

I agree generally. However, I believe a Fresno State student once argued the inverse about being drunk.   

https://abc7.com/fresno-state-student-sexually-assaults-sheep-assault/396372/

The defamation must end. He was a European exchange student. Who knows what passes for normal where he’s from! 

On 8/26/2022 at 9:54 AM, 818SUDSFan said:

Kindly re-read what I wrote. Maybe someone else said she was blackout drunk but I never did.

Here's some additional information: https://www.eastvillagetimes.com/names-of-sdsu-players-accused-of-rape-revealed/

The document states she was going in and out.  That's blackout.

I suppose that I'll throw this in here because many of you might not know this (and please don't take this as any way taking a position supporting Araiza' alleged conduct).  But the alleged victim's lawyer appears to have broken an ethical rule that every, and I mean EVERY attorney, should know very well.  It is very unethical to contact a party that a lawyer knows, or has reason to believe, is represented by counsel. The alleged victim's lawyer appears to have admitted texting Matt Araiza directly on July 30.  I suppose the lawyer's argument would be that he knew Araiza to be represented in the criminal matter but not the civil matter.  IMO, that is a silly argument and all communications should go through counsel. The State Bar of Wyoming would likely have little patience with such conduct.

Model Rule of Professional Conduct 4.2: "In representing a client, a lawyer shall not communicate about the subject of the representation with a person the lawyer knows to be represented by another lawyer in the matter, unless the lawyer has the consent of the other lawyer or is authorized to do so by law or a court order."

On 8/26/2022 at 10:10 AM, JADogs05 said:

How is he wrong though? Should rape be a consequence of drinking too much?

NOT what I said...EVER.

Re read:

I offered commonsense advice. A simple thing you can do to AVOID being a victim. The same advice I gave to my daughter and I would hope you would give to yours.  

For the record, since I seem to be dealing with an intellectual level in this forum that can only process the literal:

Rape is bad

Rape is very bad

Nobody deserves to be raped

You shouldn't rape people

Raping people is very, very bad

If you rape someone, you should be punished

Rape is bad

“Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.”

-Richard Feynman

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."

-P.J. O’Rourke

On 8/26/2022 at 10:31 AM, East Coast Aztec said:

The document states she was going in and out.  That's blackout.

Got it. However, I'm not "the document" and a guy who is generally a good poster, happy camper, apparently couldn't grasp that simple fact.

The "document" as you call it is a lawsuit filed by the girl so it seems as though people like HC are completely believing her story while completely rejecting Araiza's.

That said, if the phone call by the girl to Araiza recorded by the police is accurately quoted from in the lawsuit and doesn't leave out critical facts (not that any attorney in the world would ever do such a thing in order to make his client look better), Araiza appears to have questionable credibility regarding what occurred.

On 8/26/2022 at 10:35 AM, SDSUfan said:

NOT what I said...EVER.

Re read:

I offered commonsense advice. A simple thing you can do to AVOID being a victim. The same advice I gave to my daughter and I would hope you would give to yours.  

For the record, since I seem to be dealing with an intellectual level in this forum that can only process the literal:

Rape is bad

Rape is very bad

Nobody deserves to be raped

You shouldn't rape people

Raping people is very, very bad

If you rape someone, you should be punished

Rape is bad

But at the same time you are saying don't get drunk and you avoid getting raped.  So even if you aren't intending to sound like a victim blamer, it is at least not the best time to tell a dominantly adult male board these things.  Telling your daughter is sound advice, but you aren't talking to your daughter, so it just comes off bad.

My two cents.

On 8/26/2022 at 10:34 AM, OrediggerPoke said:

I suppose that I'll throw this in here because many of you might not know this (and please don't take this as any way taking a position supporting Araiza' alleged conduct).  But the alleged victim's lawyer appears to have broken an ethical rule that every, and I mean EVERY attorney, should know very well.  It is very unethical to contact a party that a lawyer knows, or has reason to believe, is represented by counsel. The alleged victim's lawyer appears to have admitted texting Matt Araiza directly on July 30.  I suppose the lawyer's argument would be that he knew Araiza to be represented in the criminal matter but not the civil matter.  IMO, that is a silly argument and all communications should go through counsel. The State Bar of Wyoming would likely have little patience with such conduct.

Model Rule of Professional Conduct 4.2: "In representing a client, a lawyer shall not communicate about the subject of the representation with a person the lawyer knows to be represented by another lawyer in the matter, unless the lawyer has the consent of the other lawyer or is authorized to do so by law or a court order."

Can I correctly assume you're an attorney? If so, thanks for bringing an actual attempt at objectivity despite being a Wyoming fan when it's so apparent SDSU's probable coming departure from the MWC is greatly influencing a number of similarly-situated posters to dump all over us.

On 8/26/2022 at 10:41 AM, 818SUDSFan said:

Got it. However, I'm not "the document" and a guy who is generally a good poster, happy camper, apparently couldn't grasp that simple fact.

The "document" as you call it is a lawsuit filed by the girl so it seems as though people like HC are completely believing her story while completely rejecting Araiza's.

That said, if the phone call by the girl to Araiza recorded by the police is accurately quoted from in the lawsuit and doesn't leave out critical facts (not that any attorney in the world would ever do such a thing in order to make his client look better), Araiza appears to have questionable credibility regarding what occurred.

Yeah, I called it a document because I didn't want to say "affadavit" or "lawsuit" and some poster going "Actually..."  and it sort of happened anyway :P

I did call out how the whole thing read, with the extra descriptive wordplay, but the texts with Araiza, if not altered, do not look good.  I think the STD part could be pivotal, especially if the girl got an STD, and there was evidence he had one too.  Wasn't there 5 players accused, did a couple get found to not be at fault or something?

On 8/26/2022 at 10:07 AM, TheTedfordTrain said:

The biggest take way from this thread has to be that there’s a cultural issue at San Diego State. The comments from their alumni are disgusting. 

Lol. Two or three people on a message board represent a “culture.” Using that logic everyone in Fresno wakes up with a San Jose State compulsion (and a fondness for sheep). 

Thay Haif Said: Quhat Say Thay? Lat Thame Say

I'm just going to watch the case without making too many judgements at this point. I will say I have seen a few posters says that it can't be statutory rape if he didn't know she was underage, that it absolutely wrong, if she was underage you could be convicted of statutory rape whether you know she is underage or not. There's still a lot to figure out in this situation and it looks very bad for a few players and the university.

On 8/26/2022 at 11:46 AM, 818SUDSFan said:

Can I correctly assume you're an attorney? If so, thanks for bringing an actual attempt at objectivity despite being a Wyoming fan when it's so apparent SDSU's probable coming departure from the MWC is greatly influencing a number of similarly-situated posters to dump all over us.

Yes, I am admitted to practice law in a few states and several federal courts. I am not licensed to practice law in California but I assume that California has an ethical rule very similar to model rule 4.2 (it is a fundamental ethical rule).