Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

USU78

So, Who Played College Ball, Where and How Much?

On 8/24/2022 at 5:05 PM, rebelcuff said:

I was a practice player for Notre Dame for years. All I wanted was to dress out for one game. I was promised by our head coach to get to dress a game, but a new coach came in and took it away.  The top players decided to voice to the coach how hard I worked and how I deserved to dress. Finally did last game of the season and got a sack against Georgia Tech. Believe it or not I was carried off the field.

image.gif.40a80e7546adcdba03cd42243c2389a4.gif

Thought I was a good LB so I walked on freshman year. I was 6’0” 225lbs ripped and could lift a good amount of weight. My problem was cold molasses moved faster than I did.

I spent a total of maybe two weeks practicing in fall camp before it was patently obvious to me that I had no business being there (actually that was apparent the first day but I thought some of the guys may have taken magic pills so I persisted.). I certainly didn’t belong, but unknown to me at the time I spent a good chunk of my one on one reps trying to tackle two other freshman who ended up being first round draft picks, one of which is in the NFL and college halls of fame.  There were many others who schooled the hell out of me to be sure and it was obvious I had no business being there but my coaches were great and encouraged me to continue on - probably because they needed scout team bodies.

After I quit, I was offered a spot being a student coaching assistant and I really wanted to take it but I thought I was better served focusing on my school work (I randomly had some insane profs my first semester that made me think I had no time for anything else).  It all worked out in the end for everyone. 

My sport's career ended at high school. Baseball and football. I probably could have made some half ass volleyball team at a low level school if I put effort into it.  Played a lot of sand volleyball and organized rec stuff into my late 30's. 

82-83 (83 National Champions) Fullerton College.

Post active duty needed to put on weight and did (added 40# mass-was built) problem was my knees never acknowledged (see 3 surgeries).

Missed the part about how much- pretty much Special Teams with rare field time on the blow out games.

Exceptional experience with a fantastic team.

I swam at the highest level of competition at Gonzaga and was the #1 in backstroke and butterfly.

(this dude from Colorado drafted me and like 3 other people to found the Gonzaga swim club and I organized the first meet, which was me and my bribed roomate driving 7 people down to Eugene to compete against the #3 and #4 guys from Uwash, UO, OSU, etc). 

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

In all seriousness, outside of wrestling for one year in high school (derailed due to knee surgery), my sports were either soccer up to junior high or martial arts, both of which were independent of school. And even the latter I had to give up on due to, well, more leg surgeries.

...Anyone want to trade legs? My are well "broken in".

Two years Varsity baseball in high school. Decent hitter, below average second baseman but not a liability. Fun fact: Played sophomore baseball with a current SEC football coach. 

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. 
         ---Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759.

On 8/25/2022 at 12:08 PM, son of a gun said:

I was sick the day they took the team photo. But back in our day, we didn't need things like "pads", "helmets", "refs", or silly safety regulations.

7caa18d1f1cd6ade70d7e268891eaeb3--univer

Even the gal on the squad was tough as nails 

"We don't have evidence but, we have lot's of theories."

Americans Mayor

Baseball, basketball and soccer in high school. Rode the bench in all 3. Got to Metro State and was invited to walk-on tryouts after intermurals and open gym time. 

Was cut from walk-on tryouts in less than 20 minutes but got to keep some shorts and other gear for my trouble. The fighting Roadrunners went on to make 4 D-II final four appearances in the next 6 years with 2 national championships and a runner up.

image.png.4282a3708684a9b03ce5ea8aa310e51a.png

5923508649007_bestsuperbowlpicture.jpg.3d879e07e88f2c9ecd15a44ed82786a3.jpg

Tried out for football as a 5’6” 130 pound freshman in high school. Suffered cracked ribs second week of practice and that was the end of football for me. Grew to 6’ 145 pounds as a sophomore and switched to high school basketball. Mediocre player. I really loved football. If I had the size and speed I’d definitely stuck with football. 

My younger brother played defensive tackle for Hawthorne High school and made all league. He was offered a scholarship to New Mexico State and blew it off. Two of his teammates started for Nebraska and Stanford. The Stanford guy ended up playing 4-5 years in the NFL for Dallas. 

On 8/26/2022 at 12:42 PM, Willie Cee said:

I even have proof

Football KSU .jpg

You played on some damned good teams and great Coaches under the Don, Rod Dowhower, and Claude Gilbert.

It's coming up on your 50 year reunion !

"We don't have evidence but, we have lot's of theories."

Americans Mayor

Growing up in Southern Cal, in HS I played against plenty of future NFL and MLB players, but one stands out above the rest because I can still feel the pain from him. For you younger guys, you won’t know who he is. 

Coming out of HS, Aaron Emanuel was the most sought after RB in the country, and some thought he was the best overall player coming out of HS in the country. Every elite FB school wanted him big time. USC got him. He was seriously supposed to be the next OJ Simpson, Marcus Allen, etc. He played at Quartz Hill HS in the Golden League which included my HS, Burroughs Ridgecrest, with other greater LA powerhouses that were occasionally ranked in the Top 25 nationally such as Antelope Valley HS, Hart HS, Canyon HS, and Saugus HS. 

I played DE and LB, and which game I played what depended on team injuries. Being a middle LB and seeing this dude come right at me when I knew how much pain I was about to feel was pure misery. There were times where I was flat on my back completely stunned and not sure what happened.

But there’s a lot to be said about playing up in competition because it did make me much better at figuring out ways to stop him more and made me better. And that part was very satisfying. But it was still very painful, especially on plays when your DL got totally beat and he had speed. I had to face him in 3 or 4 games through HS. 

Unfortunately, although he had the talent to be an NFL great, when he went to USC he was always in trouble and didn’t have the mental discipline that was required to move up and beyond. It’s an example of amazing talent not fully realized. But I’ll always remember him. Here’s a blurb:

“Now, you are Aaron Emanuel at 22, facing your senior year at USC, still chasing that carrot on a stick, still trying to live up to the legend of Quartz Hill.

“When he came out of high school, he was so highly touted and there were so many expectations that there was just pressure all over,” said Trojan Coach Larry Smith. “Here was a guy who was supposed to be O. J. Simpson, Mike Garrett, Marcus Allen and Charles White all rolled into one. But high school’s a lot different than college.”

kat.jpg

On 8/26/2022 at 10:14 PM, Spaztecs said:

You played on some damned good teams and great Coaches under the Don, Rod Dowhower, and Claude Gilbert.

It's coming up on your 50 year reunion !

Well obviously you had one too many Concussion. I’m surprised you can even type anymore.

The Masters 5k road race All American.

On 8/25/2022 at 4:51 PM, Pelado said:

Back in high school, I figured I could probably get a scholarship to play for some Division III team.  But then I was in a car wreck just before my senior year and didn't get to play.

While I attended BYU, I remember telling that story and some people encouraging me to walk on, but even back then I knew there was no way I would have made the football team for a Division I school.

In retrospect, it was probably silly for me to think that I could make the roster even at a DIII school.  College athletes are, generally, much bigger/stronger/faster than I was.

I thought D3 didn’t have scholarships 

On 8/27/2022 at 12:26 PM, robe said:

Well obviously you had one too many Concussion. I’m surprised you can even type anymore.

Robe - If this is directed at me, it is pointless. If is directed at Spaztec, it is even more pointless. I was simply responding to Spaztec who was commenting on the high quality of coaches back in the day. Perhaps you need to focus on reading comprehension, or maybe you had more that a few head injuries yourself. 

On 8/27/2022 at 4:29 PM, Willie Cee said:

Robe - If this is directed at me, it is pointless. If is directed at Spaztec, it is even more pointless. I was simply responding to Spaztec who was commenting on the high quality of coaches back in the day. Perhaps you need to focus on reading comprehension, or maybe you had more that a few head injuries yourself. 

Not at you. I apologize.