Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

4UNLV

Florida's Banned Book List

On 8/23/2022 at 11:44 AM, thelawlorfaithful said:

The arrogance will continue until morale improves, or until I stop being right all the time.

And yes, putting Trump at the center of the political universe leaves the right no choice but to back him. I get that the man is vile so it makes people feel they are engaged in a great cause that justifies anything so long as it’s in opposition to him. But that’s not what the end result will be. We’ll continue to get more of him as well so long as nobody moves on. The thing is, people don’t want to move on. Without Trump, where would any of these people that moved stand? Nowhere. It’s not a thing to be ashamed of, most people are like that. It’s part of humanity. But it’s real nonetheless.

Sorry about the rough time defending Groth. Try to remember it’s only the internet. Most of these people are typing on the toilet.

I have a sliver of arrogance myself, though life has tempered that trait to some extent, a good thing, in my opinion. Most of us are not as right about shit as we believe we are. 

I don’t disagree with your second paragraph, but remain of the opinion that the rest of us can’t sideline Trump until the Right sidelines him. Until that time, he will be front and center of most things political in this country.

I got past the Groth thing with some self reflection and after a couple of conversations with my father, who while a consummate practitioner of civil discourse and making folks with opposing views feel heard, was no stranger to criticism. It was part and parcel to his position. I know it was/is unlikely I was entirely correct about all parts of my defense of her term as athletics director, but I mostly was (there’s that arrogance!).

On 8/23/2022 at 11:57 AM, NVGiant said:

It's easy to be right all the time when you don't ever acknowledge when you're wrong. ... Also, I typed this while on the toilet.

Hey! I say you’re right, my bad, more than anyone on here. I’m the most humble.

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

On 8/23/2022 at 12:25 PM, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Formal protest. 

I had to eat the Martin twin/Hutchison crow  

And you will continue to do so for the foreseeable future. 

On 8/23/2022 at 12:25 PM, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Formal protest. 

I had to eat the Martin twin/Hutchison crow  

Our guys came back to Reno this summer to put on a basketball camp for kids. Love those dudes.

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

On 8/23/2022 at 12:51 PM, thelawlorfaithful said:

Our guys came back to Reno this summer to put on a basketball camp for kids. Love those dudes.

Yep. Talk about two guys that make you proud. 

On 8/23/2022 at 1:33 PM, NVGiant said:

And you will continue to do so for the foreseeable future. 

On 8/23/2022 at 1:51 PM, thelawlorfaithful said:

Real talk though, the MWCboarders I respect the most are the ones who are able to change their minds when presented with a better argument than the one they are making or can admit new information invalidates their prior position.  

On 8/23/2022 at 12:55 PM, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Real talk though, the MWCboarders I respect the most are the ones who are able to change their minds when presented with a better argument than the one they are making or can admit new information invalidates their prior position.  

For sure. I was being earnest when I said earlier in this thread that I miss having guys like @CPslogradand @HR_Poketo argue with more often. At the very least, it makes me more thoughtful when I know somebody will call me out on a lazy argument. Lawlor can't do all the heavy lifting. ... Try as he might.

On 8/23/2022 at 1:59 PM, NVGiant said:

For sure. I was being earnest when I said earlier in this thread that I miss having guys like @CPslogradand @HR_Poketo argue with more often. At the very least, it makes me more thoughtful when I know somebody will call me out on a lazy argument. Lawlor can't do all the heavy lifting. ... Try as he might.

Hey @thelawlorfaithful lets me do the heavy lifting when I am arguing 10 against 1 on guns, the electoral college, the Court, the filibuster, the value of originalism/textualism and the inefficiency of the amount of spending and subsides on wind and solar.  He applauds my efforts, but he is not throwing the haymakers he once did.  Lawlor....I need you...you complete me.  

On 8/23/2022 at 1:15 PM, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Hey @thelawlorfaithful lets me do the heavy lifting when I am arguing 10 against 1 on guns, the electoral college, the Court, the filibuster, the value of originalism/textualism and the inefficiency of the amount of spending and subsides on wind and solar.  He applauds my efforts, but he is not throwing the haymakers he once did.  Lawlor....I need you...you complete me.  

I don’t argue with you on most of those things, other than to say textualism and the electoral college are dumb.

On 8/23/2022 at 2:15 PM, halfmanhalfbronco said:

One or two out of six ain’t zero. 

On 8/23/2022 at 9:55 AM, happycamper said:

It isn't "the truth" and this isn't me just picking a fight. Your comment - that you can't oppose something others are planning until they have done it - is straight up silly. I mean, it is worse than "just tackle the fullback" - it doesn't stand even the most cursory scrutiny of human interaction. 

If you are charged with a crime, do you wait until you are convicted before you start fighting against it?

If congress looks to pass a bill you don't like, do you wait until it is passed before writing your reps?

If someone at a bar screams at you and tells you they'll kick your ass, but then go to the bathroom, do you relax back in your chair until the sucker punch lands? 

If your boss says "hey RSF I'm going to throw out the coffee maker and give you a stool instead of a chair", do you wait until your back hurts to say "I would not like that"?

If your wife says "hey we're gonna have pizza for dinner", do you wait for the pizza to arrive before you say "you know what, I had pizza for lunch, why don't we do pho instead"? 

As I stated, the planning phase of banning books gave rise to at least two beefs - 1, we shouldn't be banning books in schools, and 2, what do the books being targeted have in common? Those both tangentially relate to a third beef- does this system of book review make sense for education? and a fourth - does the system of book review indicate an attack on our educational system? 

I get your point but I do know for a fact we don't have to worry about fascism until the Jews are in the gas chambers.

On 8/23/2022 at 11:55 AM, happycamper said:

It isn't "the truth" and this isn't me just picking a fight. Your comment - that you can't oppose something others are planning until they have done it - is straight up silly. I mean, it is worse than "just tackle the fullback" - it doesn't stand even the most cursory scrutiny of human interaction. 

So you're disputing that the Keller ISD hasnt put books back on the shelf.  It. is. a. fact.  Again, your problem.

And the rest is your concocted hyperbole.  I oppose book banning.  That's the fight picking part.

That's why there's no point in me continuing.   Have a nice day.

It gives me a headache just trying to think down to your level

On 8/23/2022 at 2:37 PM, FresnoFacts said:

More in Texas. This woman wanted to file a police report on a high school library book so she could then give the information to the Texas Rangers.

A Walker fan? :shrug:

Cool.