Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

4UNLV

Florida's Banned Book List

On 8/21/2022 at 6:56 AM, 4UNLV said:

What a shame.

I think I will now buy every book on this list that I don't already have. Oh, and Texas banned the Diary of Anne Frank.

You should buy the Bible too since that’s on the list. But your post isn’t completely accurate and is a good example of how news outlets sensationalize things to get clicks. The Diary of Anne Frank isn’t on the list, but an animated adaptation of it is. And it’s not banned and it’s one school district….they put books on a list to review after complaints from citizens about books (from both sides of the political spectrum, mind you). I don’t think there’s anything wrong with their decision to review books after complaints…..seems like they’re doing their job. 

On 8/21/2022 at 5:30 AM, Slapdad said:

You should buy the Bible too since that’s on the list. But your post isn’t completely accurate and is a good example of how news outlets sensationalize things to get clicks. The Diary of Anne Frank isn’t on the list, but an animated adaptation of it is. And it’s not banned and it’s one school district….they put books on a list to review after complaints from citizens about books (from both sides of the political spectrum, mind you). I don’t think there’s anything wrong with their decision to review books after complaints…..seems like they’re doing their job. 

Slapdad… Harry Potter is on this list. To Kill a Mockingbird.  
Really? I get they don’t want anyone reading the Handmaid’s Tale, because it’s currently being used as a guidebook, lol. 

And Anne Frank in (‘one school district in’) Texas? Yeah, don’t want any kids learning about what Nazis did. 

Let them read. Have them write papers on them.  

The Bible? Separation of church and state. Private religious schools can teach that one..

On 8/21/2022 at 6:04 AM, 4UNLV said:

The Bible? Separation of church and state. Private religious schools can teach that one..

IMO, school libraries should have a section/shelve which contains copies of dozens of religious texts from many/most of the worlds religions. If they're so inclined, let kids explore other ideas.

On 8/21/2022 at 7:40 AM, renoskier said:

IMO, school libraries should have a section/shelve which contains copies of dozens of religious texts from many/most of the worlds religions. If they're so inclined, let kids explore other ideas.

It would be rather ironic to “ban” the set of books which form the underpinnings of civilization.  

In defense of book banning.

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

On 8/21/2022 at 4:56 AM, 4UNLV said:

What a shame.

I think I will now buy every book on this list that I don't already have. Oh, and Texas banned the Diary of Anne Frank.

Guessing they banned 1984 because they didn’t want people to see what they have become 

That's crazy. I have classroom sets of 1984, Of Mice and Men, Lord of the Flies, Call of the Wild, and Diary of Anne Frank in my classroom library.

0918_FootballVBoise(Weir)6081.jpg.91934a8a511e3532b39599f1988bbacb.jpg

This list is a reminder that a good number of parents are morons.

I can see why these dickheads would ban Grapes of Wrath as it can help one understand how impossible it can be for some people to not be poor. If only the Joads would have just worked harder, saved their pennies and went to college to become accountants. 

On 8/21/2022 at 8:20 AM, NVGiant said:

This list is a reminder that a good number of parents are morons.

Every time I read these stories on the school board meetings, I'm disappointed there isn't at least one person saying this. The board members coddle them cuz they're voters. The pro-book parents argue for the value of knowledge. But there should be more people pushing that a lot of these parents crying that there are gay books in their kids' school are just idiots. 

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

Also, is there a link for the OP list? That looks more like a.list of just commonly challenged books than a list of books specifically banned in one place. 

On 8/21/2022 at 9:59 AM, smltwnrckr said:

Every time I read these stories on the school board meetings, I'm disappointed there isn't at least one person saying this. The board members coddle them cuz they're voters. The pro-book parents argue for the value of knowledge. But there should be more people pushing that a lot of these parents crying that there are gay books in their kids' school are just idiots. 

There are a lot of morons on the boards themselves unfortunately 

On 8/21/2022 at 10:01 AM, Wyobraska said:

There are a lot of morons on the boards themselves unfortunately 

This is also true.

On 8/21/2022 at 8:59 AM, smltwnrckr said:

Yep. If a public official of any kind says that they’d inevitably be hit with “the government thinks it knows better than parents.” Welp, this is what that looks like. Morons objecting to books they never read because they want to raise kids who are morons.

On 8/21/2022 at 6:40 AM, renoskier said:

I wouldn't argue that, as long as they stick to many/most religions.

Cutting Bugs Bunny GIF