Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

retrofade

Geez... the Libertarian Party has really jumped the shark

On 8/26/2022 at 10:04 AM, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Mises caucus turned the LP into full blown bigotry, incel, edge lord trash.  Tragic.  While always a bit of a clown show it was nice to see policy that supported women, LGBTQ and minority rights, reproductive rights, speech and guns, and disrespected power.

It's a haven now for MAGA's who don't want to register as republican.  

I had issues with the LP for years, but I always found them interesting. It feels like LP conventions moving forward are going to start looking more like CPAC but where the pot and cocaine use is out in the open.

I hope I'm wrong. A lot of smart, reasonable Libertarians have a wait and see approach to the Mises folks running the party. The numbers are probably there to give them the boot if it continues to look like a disaster. 

I don't know, part of me wants to join the LP just to go to events and be a pain in their ass. 

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

On 8/26/2022 at 11:28 AM, smltwnrckr said:

I had issues with the LP for years, but I always found them interesting. It feels like LP conventions moving forward are going to start looking more like CPAC but where the pot and cocaine use is out in the open.

I hope I'm wrong. A lot of smart, reasonable Libertarians have a wait and see approach to the Mises folks running the party. The numbers are probably there to give them the boot if it continues to look like a disaster. 

I don't know, part of me wants to join the LP just to go to events and be a pain in their ass. 

Yeah, I had no idea what I was seeing was the Mises caucus takeover until you informed me about it.  I just watched all the Libertarian pages and accounts I followed go full incel memes, right wing grievance culture and "owning the libs" while defending Trump.  In like, 3 months.  

On 8/26/2022 at 2:01 PM, CV147 said:

Fwiw

FB_IMG_1661547668061.jpg

Amash has been one of the "wait and see" guys. He clearly doesn't like the leadership, but is being a good party member for the time being by giving qualified support. But it is also good to seem him calling out the BS.

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

On 8/20/2022 at 8:04 AM, retrofade said:

What's wrong with their statement?

What crime has Liz Cheney committed that should land her in prison?

She stands against Donald Trump

"We don't have evidence but, we have lot's of theories."

Americans Mayor

The Libertarian Party of New Mexico announced it is disaffiliating from the national Libertarian Party.

Long letter in the tweet explaining the LPNM's stance.

Additional letters between the LNC and LPNM that led up to the disaffiliation letter are at these links.

https://lpnm.us/wp-content/uploads/2022/08/Ltr-to-LPMN-re-LNC-Decision.pdf

https://lpnm.us/the-libertarian-party-of-new-mexico-lpnm-responds-to-letter-from-lnc/

On 8/26/2022 at 10:03 AM, CV147 said:

No. I'm just pointing out that if it were a nobody she wouldn't have responded.

It's ironic to go off about something someone says, and then say "This is why I don't take you seriously." Obviously she does take them seriously.

I'm not defending them at all.

Whoever runs the account did something wicked. The internet is full of awfulness. But you shouldn’t be running a blue check account in politics if you’re gonna make fun of a daughter grieving at the loss of a parent. That shit breaks everybody.

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

On 12/9/2022 at 8:35 PM, Nevada Convert said:

Whatever Libertarian version you’re talking about (principled or not) it’s never had any significant support by the public. Why is that? While there are some attractive parts of its basic principles, too much of it is just too extreme and always will be. 

I’m not talking about any kind of libertarian version because I’m not a libertarian. All I know is that a bunch of people that refer to themselves  as libertarians look at the party and say that it’s not a true reflection of libertarian ideology, and I’m just point out that whatever that means to them, the actual party will never reflect that. Ever. 

On 8/19/2022 at 8:09 PM, CV147 said:

I don't understand what's wrong with their statement, though. The Democrats are hypocrites, just as the Republicans are hypocrites. The LP points this out time and again.

I don't necessarily agree with them on the statement as-is but I definitely agree with their message. The Democrats would have cheered a tweet saying "Liz for prison" three years ago. She is who she is; what is forgiven? It's just that now she's a symbol of anti-Trumpism for the Democrats.

I can’t think of a time when I would have cheered for “Cheney for prison”.. other than Trump and maybe Gaetz if he really is guilty, I don’t think any other republicans deserve prison. Not even Boebert and MTG.

On 12/10/2022 at 1:32 AM, IanforHeisman said:

I can’t think of a time when I would have cheered for “Cheney for prison”.. other than Trump and maybe Gaetz if he really is guilty, I don’t think any other republicans deserve prison. Not even Boebert and MTG.

I think that several Republicans deserve prison. They have fraudulently enriched themselves on the public's dime, with insider trading or otherwise. They are accessories to war crimes and to millions of veterans' suffering.

On 12/10/2022 at 8:08 AM, CV147 said:

I think that several Republicans deserve prison. They have fraudulently enriched themselves on the public's dime, with insider trading or otherwise. They are accessories to war crimes and to millions of veterans' suffering.

A lot of GOP and Dems deserve some time. 

kat.jpg